Thread: Scoping a S&W 29

Scoping a S&W 29

Hello Guys, ( and Gals)
    I've been thinking of trying my hand at deer hunting with a handgun. I have a S&W 29 in 44 mag that I'm thinking about scoping. My problem is that I'm not sure what route to take as far as scopes go.
    Also, I don't want to sink a fortune in this project only to find it doesn't tickle my fancy.
    Anyone have a setup like this that can give me some recommendations?
    Thanks

I hunt a lot with handguns, a Ruger hunter, a TC Contender, etc. Scopes on handguns take some getting used to.

My suggestions are these. Start with a low power scope, like a 2X. The low power ones have larger fields of view and the target can be more quickly aquired. Also, they show less 'shakeiness' and make you more confident of your shooting.

Later you MAY want to move up to a 4X or a viriable. If you have support and plenty of time to line up a shot, the larger powers are great, but quick shots, long distances and game that is not absolutely still will likely be problematic with the larger powers.

Practice, practice, practice then practice some more. Besides, its fun!

Hope this helps and good luck.
    <-------------------------------->

critter

Thanks
    That's the kind of info I was looking for.
    What scope would you recommend?
    Red dot?
    Or a regular scope?
    One brand over another? Keeping in mind that I don't want to spend a fortune.

This one. Leupold 2X handgun.

You can go for the 2-8 variable if you want. It's heavier and more expensive.

You'll come back to the 2X.

I had a Bushnell Trophy 2-6 power that was pretty decent. They should run about $160 new or so.

I agree with getting a 2x power especially since you will just be hunting.

Personally I tried my hand at scoping handguns, It wasn't for me. So I think you are wise in trying it out first before spending a lot on it.