Thread: Pedersoli Rider parlor pistol

Pedersoli Rider parlor pistol

This is simply a quick report on this little popgun. I read about it and it just grabbed my attention. So I'm out $130 some bucks and have had some fun. You can see from the first photo that the inner workings are simplicity itself.

And see in image #2 that I went against the printed warning to not use any powder, I made up a scoop out of 1/4 of a .22 LR shell and found that dumping it into the breech piece filled it full of FFFG, I could still barely get the .168 lead ball into place (They intentionally left precious little room between the ball seat and the nipple). The gun was designed to be fired only with a #11 percussion cap, and I do not advise anyone else to follow my foolishness.

This well made capgun is woefully underpowered, and even with the tiny added American Pioneer FFFG it will not penetrate fir plywood unless you hold it right near it. I decided to try a .177 pellet but found that the .184 diameter of the skirt would be too much resistance for reliable barrel exit, even with the FFFG. So I made up a pellet sizer that brought the pellet size down to .169, that did the trick.
    I can't tell any difference in loudness firing with either just a cap or with the FFFG, so it may be that much of the powder isn't burning. There is only a tiny ledge of steel holding the breech piece from coming back into your face, which is part of why I don't recommend going against the warnings.
    The gun shoots about 4" high at 15 feet, and even at that range the "group" is about 6" in diameter. The pellets are taking the rifling as all impressions are round. The "BB's" look like regular BB's but I assure you they are copper plated lead.
    I decided to write this because I couldn't find much on the web about the little gun, and thought to change that a bit.

That's really neat. Do you have any FFFFG? That might give a better result. Be careful!

I don't but may buy some. I forgot to measure the trigger before. It's 6 lbs. I consider it to be a toy, but a fun one.

Also, don't use American Pioneer. It's a really crappy, low powered substitute (I guess it burns clean, though). On the other hand, that may be the only reason why the breech wasn't blown back into your eye.
    He hit the ground, the sound was splat, his blood went spurting high
    His comrades they were heard to say "a helluva way to die"
    He lay there rolling round in the welter of his gore
    And he ain't gonna jump no more

"that may be the only reason why the breech wasn't blown back into your eye."

I doubt that, the tiny hole in the breech piece only holds a few grains at the most, the power being put out is miniscule, and I wear protective eyewear.

However, as I said, don't do this at home.

Jumping to smokeless powder might cause problems however.

I bought one of these little darlings to add to my Remington collection. I tried using the .173 BB's they recommended but they would not pass through the barrel. Try as I might, I just couldn't get it to fire the BB. Its been in my gun locker ever since.
    I got a new 1911 for my wife... I think it was a pretty good trade.

Mine shoots .168" diameter lead BB's

Where did you find the .168 lead bb's????

Is it a shot size for shotgun reloading?

Got mine to shoot!!!!

Seems the Remington brand caps didn't have the power to propel the BB.

I switched to CCI #11 caps and it worked fine.

I also tried CCI's #11 magnum caps, which also worked well.

I got my .168 BB's from Cabellas.

Yeah, from Cabela's, and I have Remington caps too. There's a new one by Pedersoli that uses shotgun(?) 209 primers.

Thanks for the report, I always wondered about those little guys.