Thread: EAA Witness Caliber Question

EAA Witness Caliber Question

Will a Witness Elite Match in .38 Super shoot 9x19 with just a barrel swap, or would this also require different magazines and an extractor change? I want the .38 Super to shoot it and 9x23 Win, but 9x19 practice ammo is worth a second barrel, though not necessarily separate mags, etc.

Thanks.

ETA: Is $450ish new a fair price in the current climate?
    SADshooter

(formerly SA Scott)

I think i was quoted 407 for a elite match myself. (what ever dealer + 4% is) so 450 shouldnt be bad. I beleive all it would take is a barrel swap, in my research thats all ive seen, but ive never done it.

You may need new mags as the 9mm round is too short often causing feed problems. EAA has recently come out with 9mm & .40S&W mags with a spacer in the magazine to helps keep the shorter rounds in place.

Extractor will be fine for all calibers -- its a design feature to allow interchangeable uppers.

Since the barrel and slide should be fit, you are likely better off with an extra upper, but lots of people just swap barrels and hope for the best.

--wally.
    Your commitment to Freedom and Liberty is measured by your tolerance for others doing things you disapprove.
    NRA Patron Member since Jan 20, 2009.

That's a good price these days, they were going up even before the election. One of the members is a dealer in them and should be able to answer the technical questions.
    Browningguy
    Houston, TX

“When you understand the nature of a thing, you know what it is capable of.”
    -Miyamoto Musashi

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions."

neviander:

Thanks. I knew EAA offered conversion kits, I just prefer to keep the $100 difference, or spend it on mags.
    SADshooter

(formerly SA Scott)

I had a 40 S&W Elite Match and just ordered a 10mm Barrel from EAA. I already had several 10mm magazines from my full size std Witness. You do have to fit the barrel to the slide but this is quite within the abilities of Joe the plumber. You just file (note, file, not dremel) the barrel shroud a bit with the hand mill until it goes fully into battery on an empty chamber. Do it with the slide off and no spring, just the slide and barrel.
    Marty
    Southern Oregon Mountains