Thread: Help Identifying Guns In Hunting Picture

Help Identifying Guns In Hunting Picture

The picture is of a group of hunters (my grandfather second from left) and a whitetailed deer shot near Uvalde, TX around 1914-1918. My grandfather is carrying a Winchester model 1907 (from his personal account) and a Colt Single Action Army, possibly in 38-40 (but not certain). I would like to know if there is anyone out there who can assist in identifying the lever action held by the hunter at left, the open hammer shotgun held by hunter number three and the (apparent) pump action rifle at far right. I am just curious to know what the guns really are. Thanks (click on the image to view a larger copy)
    Hunting 1c.jpg
    Hunting 3.jpg
    Hunting 6.jpg
    Added two pictures. Second picture is better of the pump action rifle. third picture is better of the lever action rifle.
    Last edited by hiker44; December 23rd, 2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: added pictures
    The uneducated and the misinformed are easily led astray. -- John Mellencamp

I remember when Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms was a shopping list and not a government agency.

I think the lever action is a Winchester Model 1894/94.
    The pump is a Remington Model 14.
    There is no chance of identifying a double barrelled shotgun from a distant photo.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

Sorry I have no information on the guns in the pictures but what great photos to have.
    MikeE
    MikeE@Cheaperthandirt.com
    Cheaperthandirt.com

Guns in Pictures

I was ready to say Remington 14 on the pump after the first picture, less certain after the second and if that's the same man and rifle in the third picture, standing behind the gent with the Winchester 94, it looks more like a Standard Arms. They were chambered for the Remington rimless .25, .30 and .35 and could convert from pump to semi-auto by manipulating a lever or switch on the action. There was also a pump-only model. That receiver is too flat on top and square at the rear for a Remington.

Here's a link to a picture.

http://www.soldusa.com/detail.asp?id=9949&bigpic=0#img

Hmm.
    Do you think it is an artifact of the photos that make it look like the pump's tube magazine has the characteristic Remington spiral fluting?
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

Cool. Your grandfather is really stylish with his boots, pistol, pocket watch and hat.
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

“Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants” - William Penn

Bring it Back!

??????????????????

where did you hide pictures.I find no pictures or point to click.

TEDDY, zombie thread wants BRAINS!
    DON'T PANIC

The Toughs

Don't know about the firearms, but want to say thanks for the photos of "The Toughs"

Wild Bill
    Duck Shooter Charley
    Bob Cat Fred
    Rattle Snake George

Wish I could have had a drink with 'em. Look like they were a fun group.

Agree with Jim Watson.
    "Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes; Then you're a mile away and you have his shoes." --Fenton J. Pennypacker III

very nice photos endeed
    sig sauer, swiss perfection