Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas - What's your recent experiences?

Cabelas - What's your recent experiences?

About a year ago, I got a Cabelas credit card. They're planning on opening one here in NJ very close to me, and I figured I could use the points more than airline miles for an airline that may go belly up any day now. Thier card also got pretty good ratings in credit card comparisons, so I figured what the heck...

So, last week, I ordered a Nikon Monarch X scope that was on sale and showed as in stock, figuring it was a pretty good deal with my accumulated points and the sale. Threw a cheap boresighter in for good measure and recieved an email a few hours later saying the items were in stock and being shipped. This was only the 2nd or 3rd time that I ordered from them, and hadn't had a problem before. Today, I recieved the boresighter, along with a note on the packing slip that the scope was shipped seperately. I also got an email today saying the scope order was cancelled due to it being 'discontinued' by Nikon. ??? A call to CS confirmed that the scope on the order was indeed cancelled. WTF?

Now, I'm not that upset that the scope itself was unavailable. I actually had second thoughts on it anyway, but the fact that Cabelas shipped the incomplete order w/o contacting me, after sending a confirmation email that the items are in stock and being shipped, bothers me. It almost seems like a bait + switch. On top of that, they seemed totally indifferent to the situation when I called...no offer of substitution or small discount on another comparable item, not even a "Sorry", just "That item is no longer available". They did offer to pick up the return shipping on the boresighter that I now have no use for, but will probably eventually use so I'll probably end up holding on to it.

The few times I've been in a Cabelas, plus a few comments about them I vaguely remember reading, I always thought they were a more CS-oriented company than that. Am I mistaken? What are your recent experiences w/ them? Are they becoming too big for thier own good? Oh, and btw, does anyone know anything about Nikon cancelling any of thier Monarch X line scopes?
    -Lee
    "In Jersey anything's legal, as long as you don't get caught."
    Traveling Wilburys, "Tweeter and the Monkey Man"

Which one did you order?

2 of the 5 in the Bargain Cave are listed as SOLD OUT. Maybe they were in the Bargain Cave because they were discontinued.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...502&cmCat=perf

I've never had anything other than perfect service from Cabela's. Never been to a store, but I've ordered over $1000 worth of stuff a few times. I really like their hardback catalog; makes for easy reading.

John

I've had good experiences with Cabela's multiple times. That said, I still have an item on back order with no stocking date estimate.

However, I've had what you're describing happen to me from multiple firearms retailers since Obama won the popular election. Even online orders I've placed have been canceled (earlier today, even) with e-mails stating they're out of stock with no stocking date in sight.

I'm sure it's part of the fear over the coming (and potentially permanent) AWB.

Never had a problem with them, been as good to me as Midway. Except for the fact they STILL don't have a Denver store!

JohnBT - it was the 2.5-10x44 w/ the illuminated mil-dot reticle. I wanted a Leupold, but all the ones I was looking at were also sold out. When I bought it last week, it was showing as available.

In an email update I recieved shortly after ordering (12/17):
    Products Ordered
    1 of 71-2873 NIKON MONARCH X 44MM RIFLESCOPES 2.5-10X44 MATTE ILL @ $949.88 each
    In stock-Approx delivery Fri 12/26

In another email from 12/19:
    Products Ordered
    1 of 71-2873 NIKON MONARCH X 44MM RIFLESCOPES 2.5-10X44 MATTE ILL
    In stock-Approx delivery Fri 12/26

And in the email yesterday (12/22):
    Products Ordered
    1 of 71-2873 NIKON MONARCH X 44MM RIFLESCOPES 2.5-10X44 MATTE ILL
    Cancel-Discontinued

Up until now, I had this impression from others and my own limited experience that Cabelas ran a pretty tight ship, but a scenario like this makes them look like some fly-by-night electronics shop in Brooklyn. Again, I'm more upset about not being notified in advance of a problem with my order than the scope not being available after it was listed as available.

I ended up buying the same scope as a factory refurb from SWFA this morning for $750, incl. free shipping. Now I still have my Cabelas points for something else, and still got it for less than what I would've paid minus my points. The only thing is I'm not sure if I'm getting the coupon for the Mil-dot calculator, but that's not a big deal.
    -Lee
    "In Jersey anything's legal, as long as you don't get caught."
    Traveling Wilburys, "Tweeter and the Monkey Man"

At the rate they are going with Xanadu and the lack of tenants the Cabalas will be open the next millennium. It is already over a year behind schedule. Plus the fact of having 7 percent added to everything I don't see it as that big of a deal. The one up here has no so great pricing. I can do much better at a local shop than the big stores.

Ad to the fact that for the most part the traffic in the area is usually bumper to bumper....... Mail order and have less aggravation. And to add further insult, they were talking about charging to park!!

I just got back from Cabela's about 2 hours ago. I had a $150 certificate (from a previous promotion) and a $20 coupon that both expired at the end of the month. I was looking for a .22 rifle, but didn't see any I like. (that's not true, they had a Browning that I fell in love with, but it was $750)

So I ended up buying a Kel-Tec P3AT because I didn't have a mousegun yet, and they didn't have any Ruger LCP's because of the recall. I also got a box of WWB .380 ammo, 3 boxes of .22LR Mini-Mags, a set of .380 reloading dies, and some plastic cartridge boxes. Total (with tax) came to $385. Not sure if that's a good deal or not, but then we started subtracting the coupons and certificates, my "Cabela's Bucks", and a $70 discount that I didn't know about that popped up when he swiped my credit card. The final total was $40.

There was a new $30 Cabela's coupon in the mail when I got home.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" —Kenny Rogers

Cabela's is A1

Nice place to wander around in but I wasn't that impressed with the pricing. I'm spoiled as buying in the cabelas in ME means sales tax further increasing the price.

Cabela's in Fort Worth, TX

Exit 65 on I-35W (few miles N of Ft. Worth, few miles S of Denton, TX)--been shopping at this Cabela's since it's inception 4-5 years ago. Had good luck with the pricier items...had some poor luck with the less expensive items.

They will accept returns, particularly if you have the receipt in hand; otherwise, they issue a credit on future purchases. They have an excellent selection of firearms and most related supplies. Have a difficult time keeping primers in stock...as do many gun shops.

Nice place to wander around in but I wasn't that impressed with the pricing. I'm spoiled as buying in the cabelas in ME means sales tax further increasing the price.
    The prices are a little high (but no higher than Gander Mountain). The trick is never pay full price. Wait until the item goes on sale, and/or use coupons. Cabela's will let you stack the discounts.
    Last edited by zxcvbob; December 25th, 2008 at 03:59 PM.

Sometimes they have good deals. I picked up a Marlin 39A Golden Mountie from 1958 that is great. It came with a scope and sling for $320. Talked them into selling it for me for $300. While I was there, another guy picked up a Winchester 1906 marked only Long Rifle (not many of these) that looked like it had never been fired for $600. It was something to see. Sometimes they don't know what they have.

Here is a pic of the Marlin.

There are several local gun shops around here that I seem to have better luck at and check 1st...
    They seem to be just a few bucks more, but seem to know much more and try to be more helpful...

Every time I go to the local Cabelas I experience one or more of the following...

They are out of stock on one or more items in their ad and don't seem to want to do rain checks
    Do not have rebate forms for something that has a pretty good rebate and do not off any type of discount to cover this...
    I could not find anyone that knew anything about the products I was asking about...

If its in my path of travels I kinda like to pass through there to look, but its not usually a destination...
    If you can blame guns for Crimes, then I can blame my Keyboard for misspelled words!!!

I have spent well over $1000 in the past years, all mail order, and have always been 100% satisfied. Never a problem. Today, was the first day I have actually been in one of their stores, and I was very impressed!!! Since Bass Pro started discontinueing re-loading supplies, Cabelas will now get all my business.

Administrator   
    Dealt with them twice, great service both time.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

I worked at one of the retail stores for a short stint. Keeping track of inventory was a constant issue. I can't say it was a 100% efficient system, but even if it was, I think if you knew how quickly inventory could sell out, you'd be impressed we kept anything in stock at all. We had several full-time employees whose only job was to compare current physical inventory against what the computer says we should have. Shoplifting ruins the databases and supply chain, because we didn't know that we were low in stock or out of a product until too late.
    So the moral of the story is: sometimes we thought they had an item, until we went looking for it. Sorry about that. Customer service certainly was a big priority, because we all know that everything can be had for less money elsewhere, so usually you can just about any issue resolved so everyone's happy. Sorry your experience didn't end well.

smullen: Regarding the rebates, I was almost always surprised when a customer asked about a rebate on an item, totally unaware that there was a promotion. But in general, the rebates are taken care of at the register, and your cashier prints off all the pertinent information. It's one of those things that the 'outfitters' don't learn in training, but learn while trying to help customers such as yourself, unfortunately. :\
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final.

I have been a Cabelas' customer for well over 20 years ALL by mail order (either phone or online). When I had a problem they corrected most quickly and usually even the hold/wait time a minimum. Have yet to visit a store but it's on the list .. when one is built nearby. I have had other companies not tell me about out-of-stock and only until I got rest of order and it royally ticked me off. I can sympathize but have never had that problem with Cabelas.

I started shopping at Cabela's when the first retail store opened in Washington state a year or two ago. At the time, I was living in the town the store was in. I've generally found shopping there to be a positive experience. Sure, the more popular items can be out of stock, but that applies just as much to Sportsman's Warehouse and other big box stores. And because I lived in the same town as the store, it wasn't a huge deal for me; it's not like I had to drive sixty miles to the store to find they were out of the item I wanted. All the same, Cabela's does stock stuff you won't find at other stores. For example, when a friend of mine got a Mosin-Nagant M1891/30 for Christmas a year ago, Cabela's was the one place where I could find recent production (Wolf) 150-gr 7.62x54R ammo for it.

I've used the sotre pickup option a couple of times when ordering off the web, and that's always worked pretty well. It certainly saves on shipping, even though it's a bit more of a crap shoot when your stuff is actually going to arrive.

But I think my best association with Cabela's was when I was wandering around the store with my son, who was then about 20 months old, and one of the sales associates (a gentleman in his early 50s, I'd say) came up to me, shook my hand and said "You get my 'Good Dad Award' because you got your kid a raincoat! Too many people think they can get by without one." My son was indeed wearing a (bright yellow) raincoat, because this was western Washington in early December. Anyway, I was quite chuffed at that.
    "Our society is no longer imaginable without gun violence. All too often during muggings and robberies, a firearm is used to threaten."
    - Dutch regional police report, 2005, indicating the effectiveness of gun control
    Join the ACLDN

If you're ordering online, you have no reason to stick with Cabelas. The only advantage they offer is brick+mortar locations to see and handle items before purchase.

It would appear that there are many other online vendors who would happily accept your credit card for that scope:
    http://www.google.com/products?q=nikon+monarch+X+scope

What my experiences have been with Cabelas is the KCK store. If you go in a shop on a Wed afternoon it isn't as crowded. If you go to the gun department it is always hectic and you have to wait your turn. If you try to butt in on a customer with a clerk you will be ignored. On the other hand when your number is called and you are talking to the clerk they won't let anyone distract their attention to you. They are always friendly and will go out of their way to help you out. I was back in marine electronics when a guy came in with a sonar from the bargain cave. The box didn't have the power cord or mounting hardware. The clerk found the mount new and the knobs new but couldn't find the power cord new. He went with the customer back to the bargain cave and found him one back there. I think that's service.
    I bought a Yukon Gen 3 night vision scope and it was blurry out of the box. I brought it back two weeks later as I couldn't get back any sooner. They took it back and refunded without any hassles. They didn't have another one to replace it with and would have ordered me a new on had I wanted it.
    Their customer service seems top notch at this store anyway.

Been waiting for the Denver store to materialize, but with today's economy I'm not holding my breath anymore.

I have never been into a store with better customer service. Ive been to the stores in MI, WV and IN and so far I have yet to see another store offer better service. I go out of my way and don't mind paying a few extra bucks to deal with Cabela's.
    A pistol isn't a weapon, its a tool designed to get you back to the weapon you should have been carrying in the first place.

The 'local' cabela's is a 45 mile drive, but I've made it up there twice. The first time should have cured me, but I'm old and slow on the uptake.

The 'service' both times was abysmal at best. The attitude was, 'oh well'.

Online, however, it gets much worse. Ordered boots, they sent the wrong ones twice and tried to tell me it was MY fault. Well, of course it was, I ordered from those fools, so, I have only myself to blame.

I could go on with this, but what's the point. They don't care.

But, that's ok, I still manage to find other vendors that are competent and a pleasure to deal with. They get my $$.

Exchange service was very good, bought by mail-returned in person.

My son has had some pistol bullets on BO for 3 months. He recently had the order cancelled bt they would 'reorder'-at $3 more/100. He complaine and they reordered same as before.

They have always been great I even got 2000 rds of .45 shipped to me in less then two weeks which killed the delivery time of anyone else that had .45
    Some day my children will have a lot of guns and that will bring a smile to my face.