Thread: Timer recommendations?

Timer recommendations?

I'm a former bullseye shooter who now practices mainly for CCW/self defense. I need to improve the time it takes to break the first shot -- even if it means giving up the perfect sight alignment. Follow-up shots are less of a problem.

I would appreciate timer recommendations from anyone who has purchased one in the last six months. After improving the first shot time, I will use the timer for general drills such as those shown on www.pistol-training.com. I would like to use it for dry fire practice as well.

Thanks in advance.
    "The whole reason behind carrying a gun for self-defense is that you're worried about the stakes more than the odds." --Marko Kloos

"Carry your gun. It is a lighter burden than regret." --Breda

I like the CED - for personal use the 2000 is very convenient.

The CED is a fine timer but I prefer the PACTII for it's simplicity and customer service (when mine failed after years of SERIOUS abuse, they refurbished it to new quickly and cheaply). I also think it's less expensive. It has a easy to engage 'delay' feature, great if you're practicing alone. The CED probably does more but nothing I need for practice and IPSC matches. But you can't go wrong with either.

Any other recommendations?
    "The whole reason behind carrying a gun for self-defense is that you're worried about the stakes more than the odds." --Marko Kloos

"Carry your gun. It is a lighter burden than regret." --Breda

I've never seen a timer on the range other than CED and Pact.

PocketPro are simple and reliable too.
    Georgia's always on my mind
    The Beatles
    An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur.
    Axel Oxenstierna

My own choice was the CED 7000 -

My own choice was the CED 7000 -
    I think - IMHO - others are better or at least handier for range use to time IDPA competition.

Considerations include home practice with a start signal that won't bother the neighbors e.g. earphone inside muffs maybe, programmable functions that are easy to set and results that are easy to see without taking a break to read the timer and when dry fire is mentioned getting a timer to respond to dryfire and not to echo or stray noise may begin to be really hard depending again on time and place and placing the timer (on a tripod scope/chronograph mount with the microphone pointed just so) for echo and stray noise.

I thought I picked a sweetspot between size and complexity and extra features - I'd want something simpler for IDPA and maybe something more complex for two man or coached drills. PACT sort of bracketed my choice offering something simpler and something more complex and expensive.

Read some of the other boards for comments on durability especially battery life and adjustment especially sensitivity.

Capitalism works buy something - if you don't like it put up for sale and call it an education.

For drills, the CED 7000 and 8000 are the only ones I know of with ten string memories. That way you can run a drill repeatedly and then review for improvement or consistency.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

Tagged....I'm embarassed to say I didn't realize that they MADE such things as these until I got my latest SAF Training DVD in the mail...
    I should be very much obliged if you would slip your revolver into your pocket. An Eley's # 2 is an excellent argument with gentlemen who can twist steel pokers into knots.
    Sherlock Holmes

Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State.
    Heinrich Himmler

You like to fire assault weapons? I have a place for you. It's not in the homes and streets of America. It's called the Army, and you can join any time! Wes Clark

http://www.ruready.com/

We've used these in Canadian IPSC competitions for years.

I believe someone wrote a shot timer program for the iPhone, FWIW.

Good grief...! Years ago I remarked how far cell phones and palm computers have come already since the 60's, and how 'Star Trek' imagined them...
    I should be very much obliged if you would slip your revolver into your pocket. An Eley's # 2 is an excellent argument with gentlemen who can twist steel pokers into knots.
    Sherlock Holmes

Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State.
    Heinrich Himmler

You like to fire assault weapons? I have a place for you. It's not in the homes and streets of America. It's called the Army, and you can join any time! Wes Clark