Thread: Coustille

Coustille

Hello,
    Does anyone have any experience with the Windlass (I believe) Coustille dagger? Construction quality, durability and such? Thanks for any info.
    rhtwist

I have one of these, purchased from Museum Replicas. I paid the extra fee to have it sharpened.

Fit and finish are good. The gaps between the blade and the guard are fairly small, the leather over the wood handle is well-stitched along the side and provides a positive grip; the round pommel provides a bit of counterweight to the blade; the sword is slightly blade-heavy. The scabbard is well-stitched, no missing stitches and perfectly straight. The sharpening job, while it won't shave hair as it comes out of the box, only needs a stroke or two on a ceramic stone to make it hair-popping sharp.

It's actually longer than the typical dagger, more the length of a Roman Gladius. It's much lighter than a full-length broadsword but heavier than a dagger, and is very quick in the hand. It's suited to both cut and thrust.

I think if I were to use this in battle it would be as a backup to a spear or polearm, with a buckler to accompany it.
    Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong. - - Dennis Miller

Thanks for your response. I take that you are happy with it? Do you remember what you paid? I would like mine sharpenend too, because I can't sharpen a knife to save my life. When my pocket knives get dull, I buy another one. Terrible I know but there is some kind of blackhole in my brain or a voodoo curse on me. I saw a test on YouTube and it looked impressive. I'm thinking of replacing my Cold Steel TrailMaster Bowie with one. take care.
    rhtwist

Museum Replicas appears to be charging $153.00 for the sharpened version of the sword now, I seem to recall paying around $125.00 or so, it was on sale at the time.

I'd recommend purchasing a crock stick sharpener from A.G. Russell. I was unskilled at sharpening until I bought one of my own about 25 years ago. You'll still need a flat stone to repair the edge occasionally after hard use, but usually a few strokes on the crock stick will give you a razor-sharp edge that will be the envy of your friends.

You can find the crock stick here. It's not cheap at $39.95, but with reasonable care it will last the rest of your life.

Good luck!
    Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong. - - Dennis Miller

Thanks again for the info and the link. I had ceramic stones before but managed to never get a sharp edge. Its mystical. Flat stones, I might as well cut my own throat then try to get an edge with them. Maybe I'll try the rods again. Really pathetic. I've managed to sharpen one knife in my life and I won't use it. Sometimes I can get my son-in-law (a chief) to do it, but like pulling teeth.
    Is the Coustille holding up well?
    rhtwist

I was unskilled at sharpening until I bought one of my own about 25 years ago...........,

Welcome to the forum Collingwood.

I can't here that name without thinking of Ft. Apache. Sounds like an interesting knife care to share a picture?
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

I have this problem. It is great advice for me Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by recess View Post
    I have this problem. It is great advice for me Thank you.
    http://szybkieodchudzanie.info