Thread: LA Times reports gun buy back program

LA Times reports gun buy back program

Guns exchanged for gift cards in Lennox
    12:39 PM, December 23, 2008
    Only two days before Christmas, and Lesslie Thompson was in the Lennox Middle School parking lot exchanging two old rifles and a pistol for some gift cards.

“I don’t want them around the house,” the Gardena grandmother said of the weapons belonging to her husband’s late grandfather. She said the guns had been wrapped in a blanket and stored in the garage for years.

Thompson was among dozens of people participating in the “Gifts for Guns” exchange program sponsored by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Lennox station. The guns can be turned in with no questions asked, officials said.

Anyone who voluntarily surrenders a firearm will receive a $100 gift card ($200 for assault weapons) to Ralph’s, Food 4 Less or Target stores. In less than three hours, officials had collected more than 150 guns, including rifles, pistols and a few assault weapons.

The exchange runs until 3 p.m. today.

For those who would like a holiday gift card, this will “make their Christmas a little brighter,” said Sheriff’s Lt. Val Rosario.

Shortly after 9 a.m., more than a dozen motorists who brought their guns with them were lined up in the parking lot at the school followed by a steady stream of other gun donors.

The Sheriff’s Department is planning a similar gun exchange program in Compton on Saturday at a Ralph’s supermarket, 280 E. Compton Blvd. The exchange runs from 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Darn!! I keep hoping for one of these in my area. I've collected several R-G .22 rimfire revolvers for just such an occasion.
    Marty
    Southern Oregon Mountains

Yes...the government buys "back" that which it never owned. Amazing trick, that.

Seriously, though, I have a few non-functional rifles that aren't worth even a minute of consultation with the local gunsmiths. If we ever have a "buyback" in my area, I hope to get enough to buy at least one firearm that *does* work. Just doing my part to keep the streets safe, you know.

The signs I'd like to see carried outside such an event would include truth-in-advertising slogans, like "GUN LAUNDRY" and "EVIDENCE DISPOSAL -- NO QUESTIONS ASKED?" Or maybe something like the signs that pawn shops seem to favor, perhaps "TRADE YOUR STOLEN GUNS FOR CASH!"

That might bring the right kind of attention / recognition ...

Alternative idea (but this one's facetious): pass a state-wide law that says gun "buy backs" (buy-ups) cannot be run by personnel who know anything about the value of guns, so as to remove certain sources of temptation.

"Ma'am, thank you for turning in this dangerous 1950s S&W revolver, in its original box with papers, pristine from your attic. We'll make sure that it stays off the streets."

timothy

This coming from a state that is currently in deficit spending due to budgetary shortfalls and wants a federal bailout? Amazing.

My GOD! They not only allowed but actually encouraged GUNS to be brought to a SCHOOL!!

I guess that little part of the gun laws only applies to mommies and daddies picking up the kids. If you're a criminal looking to dispose of evidence then, by all means, drop by the school and we'll give you a gift card.

We Build. We Fight.

My GOD! They not only allowed but actually encouraged GUNS to be brought to a SCHOOL!!
    Yeah, amazing how the media quickly glossed over that fact.

I wonder if the feds showed up to arrest everyone who brought a gun within 1000' of a school? No?
    NRA Life Member
    1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a
    firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for
    traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

"GUN LAUNDRY" and "EVIDENCE DISPOSAL -- NO QUESTIONS ASKED?"
    "TRADE YOUR STOLEN GUNS FOR CASH!"

Yup, that seems about right for the area.
    NRA Member
    RMEF Life Member
    Location - Mt. WhereinthehellamI? Utah

I'm sure that no "tax payer" dollars were used, as it was all paid for by one of the "fringe left" groups ...
    The ONLY thing certain in life is DEATH. Live each day to its' FULLEST!

What a great idea!!! Have a gun "buy back" at school and arrest everyone who shows up for violating Federal Law! Think of the number of criminals that could be removed from our streets, including Granny.

Maybe a letter to the editor would be appropriate showing how the gun buy back program is a sting, or the police either ignoring or encouraging people to violate the law. Or maybe it just illustrates that we have 20,000 firearm laws too many.

So what's the activism angle here? Did I miss the post W/the plan of action in it?
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

For the forum police, here is an action plan:

Implement a gun buyback program in your own community. Do your part to remove unwanted guns from unloving homes. Post an ad in your local paper/online classifieds site. Suggestion: post it in the general merchandise section; not the firearms section. (Remember, you aren't trying to reach the gun-buying portion of the public.)

You might be surprised what kind of offers you get.

Three weeks ago I sent an email to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department asking if they ran the serial numbers of the guns through NCIC to see if they were stolen, and also asking what steps they took to ensure that any stolen guns were returned to their rightful owners. I never received a reply. Not that I'm surprised, mind you.