Thread: Colt officers model 22lr

Colt officers model 22lr

Can anyone give me the year of manufacture for a Colt Officers Model .22lr
    ser.# 172XX ?What was the difference between the officers model and the officers model match?
    This gun has adjustable sights and the best trigger of any gun I have ever fired.My fatherinlaw bought the gun,holster and belt for it and a handcrank siren for $35 many years ago.He gave me the gun,holster,and belt for Christmas
    "And gloating is a legitimate form of human emotion, since it isn't one of the Seven Deadly Sins, as far as I know.And Ha-Ha!"-230RN

There are three obvious variations in the Officer's Model series - the collectors divide them up even more.
    The Officer's Model Target, made before WW II, has windage in the rear sight and elevation in the front. Your serial number is out of that series for 1937.
    The Officer's Model Special was the early post war gun with a straight bull barrel and the bulky Coltmaster w&e rear sight.
    The Officer's Model Match was the last of the series and has a tapered heavy barrel and the Accro or Elliason rear sight.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

North Central Montana, across the Wide Missouri
    My R.L. Wilson book puts it in 1937. I don't know about all the differences. Someone will be along that knows.

Thanks for the info!

My father-in-law is 86 and trying to remember more about when he got it.When I mentioned you guys said it was made in 1937 it sparked his memory and now remembers it was 1941 that he got it.He bought it off a guy in the tool room at Bath Iron Works before the war.He remembers teaching the guy to cut and braze because he wanted out of the tool room.I am now in for hours of south pacific WWII storys and 50 years of BIW ship building storys!Its one of the best ways to spend a cold windy afternoon around here.I just hope he does not tell me about getting his vesectomy in the 60's by the yard nurse while on lunch break again!
    "And gloating is a legitimate form of human emotion, since it isn't one of the Seven Deadly Sins, as far as I know.And Ha-Ha!"-230RN

North Central Montana, across the Wide Missouri
    I was stationed on a BIW destroyer. built in 1943, U.S.S. Walke DD-723. I went aboard in 1964. Good ship, BIW did good work, Please tell him thanks for me.

He was not part of that build,he joined the Navy in 43 and went to the south pacific.He says he had lots of friends that worked on that "boat" as he calls them and says "You are very welcome",speaking for friends that have passed on.

Might be worth getting a recorder. Many of us look back ath the old days and with our own memories fading, wish we had recorded what Dad, Grandad, Uncle, cousin, etc had told us. Pump him for all you're worth. I can only remember a couple things passed on to me by my GD, born in 1871, relating stories he had been told by his father who was a 3rd Lt in CSA. If only I had the sense to pump GD for more............
    Ulflyer