Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand New Parent!!!

Brand New Parent!!!

So I am now a father; the most beautiful girl in the world was born 3 days ago on Saturdy( I know I'm prejudiced), her name is Grace; for God's grace in giving me such a gift.

Now for the gun related part, I have been avidly pro gun for all of my life, and have openly carried since I was of legal age. But since my daughter was born, I have beed thinking I should get my ccw. I believe in being the good example of gun ownership in my community, hence the OC, but I'm not too sure about wearing a 6 inch revolver in a western holster while holding my baby. My wife trusts me either way, but has allways worried about what other people think, and now I am starting to understand that.

I think now, more than ever I need to pack a weapon wherever we go, but my intentions have changed entirely. This is my first child, and i have never been responcible for the protection of a completely defenceless person, but I don't want people to think I'm a bad father because "He's got a gun!"

So When money allows I will be getting my ccw. But I'm already fearing for my child's future rights. Should I buy an sks and a small 9mm for when she is ready, just in case we cant get them by then?

I'm sorry for the rant, Just a new father's concerns.
    Have any of you guys gone through this same thing? Any advise on raising a child with guns in mind would be welcome.

Thankyou
    "Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."
    -Adlai Stevenson

Administrator   
    You're a good father for carrying the most effective means of defending your child. If you want to start her collection now, more power to you. Might be a good idea, if you can.
    And congrats! Stock up on diapers and wipes...youll need them sooner...
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

Congratulations
    You're in for the ride of your life.
    Yes, get the CCW.
    Yes, buy her guns.

Some of my best times with my girl were at the range. Even when she was a teen we actually talked.

Has your heart returned to your chest yet?

AFS
    'Qui tacet consentit': To remain silent is to consent.

way to plan/think ahead
    NRA life member, Support Our Troops,
    Pointman Ministries Member
    MMCDC Member

Carrying a 6" revolver in a holster is probably not what I'd do if I had the possibility of obtaining a CC permit. Remaining unobtrusive is a much better approach for defense. An unnecessary display simply begs some types of morons to "try him on" or pay unwanted attention to you and your new daughter.
    I'd rather see the adoring faces marveling at the beauty of your newborn than faces of the uninformed scowling at you holding her, a 6" revolver exposed on your hip.
    I wish your daughter a long, productive and safe life. Teach her well. A Chipmunk .22 and early introduction to the reloading room is a great start.

SP

Thanks for the congrats guys. AFS no my heart has not yet returned to my chest, It is hers.

SP that was basically my thought, that I would be better able to protect her with ccw than oc.
    Carrying openly has never bothered me before, but now the idea is starting to.
    and thanks Armoredman & ultradoc for the comments
    "Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."
    -Adlai Stevenson

Administrator   
    Congratulations!

My daughter is now almost 15 months old and I have carried every day of her life. My wife laughs because we have picture of her in a high chair and me with a baby spoon / food in hand and Sig and spare magazines on the belt.

She has a pink cricket .22 and is already eying my AR-15s and AR-10, before too long she'll have an AR-15 of her own waiting for her to get big enough to shoot it. She also has a lifetime NRA membership, cheaper now than later and I always wanted to put her stickers on the back of her stroller .

I plan to do everything I can to pass the love of shooting on to her and hopefully someday she'll teach her husband and kids how to shoot.

I open carry about 20-30% of the time and have open carried while having her in a cart, or in a stroller without a problem. If it bothers you then I'd also recommend concealed carry, you can always decide to begin open carrying again later if you want to.

To me an armed father comes across as someone who is prepared to defend his family and that is a great thing. I wouldn't worry too much what other people think.

jpsimms.........congratulations on your first born

guns are fine, but give her something that can never be taken from her.........a quality education............start funding her college account now.

good luck

jpsimms, first congratulations on becoming a Daddy. It's full of ups and downs but is such a great thing. Just enjoy and cherish every moment, even the bad ones.

As for your situation, ultimately only you can answer the questions. It actually sounds like right now you're riding on a lot of emotion, which is understandable. You should probably ask yourself why you're thinking about these things -- what's your ultimate concern and/or goal here. Just give it time... you don't need to answer these questions today, but keep thinking about it and you'll arrive at the best answers for YOU and YOUR situation.

There's much debate about open vs. concealed carry. One undertone I see in your posting is that you're concerned about your 2A rights and one thing to consider is that having a CCW puts you on the books -- you're a quotable statistic to legislators. Some believe that the more folks with CCW's, the less legislators will want to do things against that group of voters, dig? To have both the CCW and live in a state that doesn't prohibit open carry, that gives you options.

Should you buy guns? Of course! But I'd probably start Junior off with a .22 rifle first, like a Cricket or a Chimpmunk... more managable for a small child, in terms of weight, recoil, noise. You want the child to succeed, so starting them off with something they can succeed with will take you further.

As for what others think.... Yes, we do have to consider what others think, because it is part of how our society is set up. We want others to give us some measure of consideration, so we ought to be the first to give others consideration. But how much consideration to give is up to you: do you want to live your life as a slave to others, or will you still go about being you and who you are standing up for what you believe in even if it goes against the grain? Only you can answer this and where along the continuum you wish to fall. No matter what you do, someone is going to think you're great and someone else is going to think you suck. Just a question of how much that and those people matter.

Good luck, Dad.

Congrats! And well planned on getting the tax deduction for 2008!

When I went to the class for my FL CCW, the teacher went around the room asking us (just to get acquainted) why we were applying. I started, "Well, I've got a wife and three kids, and--"

He cut me off. "That's all the reasons anyone's ever gonna need."

As for buying for her: an AR lower--that may be hard to get soon. (I think .22 cal Chipmunks will not be dubbed sniper rifles in the next year or so.)

The AR has some flexibility, as your daughter may turn out to be leftie (or just left-eyed), and getting a left-sided upper will be comparatively easy for a while.

And if (G-d forbid) she turns out to not like guns, an extra AR in your collection never hurts.

Good advise, but an AR is out of my price range for the time being, I was thinking more along the lines of surplus SKS/AK variants. first priority is her immediate well being, and spending a month's rent and power on an AR is, for now, out of the question. By the time I can afford one, they will be much harder to find, and more spendy as well.
    And yeah, my wife and I joked about the tax break too.
    Maybe over the next couple of years the tax credit she earns us could go towards her collection.

I am glad to find out that she had my hands instead of her mother's. Long slender fingers, so she won't have the problem of needing a tiny pistol. I think I will go buy a couple (or dozen) hi cap mags while I can. It would be nice if her, my wife and I could use the same ones, probably XD9. I believe the guns will still be available, just not the good clips. Any reason to believe Obama will try to illegalize "combat pistol" type guns??

And yes I've already been looking at pink crickets; I will have to get one for my step daughter soon anyhow(5yrs old today). so a hand me down .22 will be around.

Thank You All for the encouragement and congrats!!
    -Adlai Stevenson

AR is out of my price range for the time being
    I was unclear.

I was thinking of a stripped lower, which (even in these times) I think can still be found at or below an SKS price tag.

A builder: every year (on her birthday) you could buy another set of parts and slowly put it together. Don't forget the pink finish:

Of course, if you'd prefer a complete gun now, you're right--SKS would be the way to go.

I see, building it a part at a time could make sense, if the parts are still available, and I do like the finish on that one.

Good idea, thanks
    -Adlai Stevenson

Sorry about this one. She's an active shooter and she's been messed with by a number of true chauvenists in the gun world. I probably shouldn't have asked her if she ever had a pink gun. My bad.
    I'm sure she meant no harm.

SP
    Last edited by SP Shop Foreman; January 2nd, 2009 at 02:48 PM.

No harm, no foul, no hard feelings!
    Last edited by Loosedhorse; January 4th, 2009 at 12:51 AM.

Back to the OP....

I'd look at CC for some reasons unrelated to rights, registration or appearances.

I've carried everywhere legal since my first daughter was born (6 years ago), and having thin barrier, like a t-shirt, over my pistol has stopped fearsome amounts of baby by-products (drink, food, mess, and other things I'd never considered in tacti-cool training) from touching my firearm. I think an open holster would allow more opportunity for these ... umm... contaminants to mess with your pistol.

Most any new parent, IME, has spots and spills covering 60-70% of their clothing. You don't want that all over your pistol.

Congrats...

Congratulations, sir, and good luck!

To Wep45's advocacy of providing a good education, let me add instilling good values. Teach Grace that we are all sovereign beings with unlimited opportunity; that the only limits to our potential are self-imposed, and the limits to our actions are imposed by our morality.

Also make sure she SQUEEZES the trigger!
    "What's good for me might not be good for the weak-minded."- Augustus McRae

Thank you jumbo. Good values is one thing that I know I can give her. She will understand liberty, her rights, and will know right from wrong. I will make sure she can think for herself, and question the norms. But I have a good basis to build on, my father raised me well.
    And she will know how to squeeze the trigger, I will teach her right, and she will probably be a better shot than me.

21H40, very good point and true, baby mess is mot one of the firearm problems we generaly think of, but there is already plenty of that. Keeping it covered makes sense.
    -Adlai Stevenson

Thanks, Loosedhorse. That was unusual since she doesn't post anymore and is in her 6th month with a little girl who will definitely be a reloader and caster.
    I'm related and work the family.

SP

If I may be presumptive on behalf of the other posters here: our best wishes to her! What a wonderful thing!

were there posts that I missed?
    -Adlai Stevenson

Not anything important, JP. Didn't mean to hijack your thread. Babies are more important than comments, and I hope yours remains the center of your world.

SP

Oh she will, I was just curious what I missed. It seems like there are responses to a post that didn't show up.
    -Adlai Stevenson

Congrats!!!

My son Nicholas was born 7 weeks ago!!!

Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats to you too Cartman!, Thanks
    -Adlai Stevenson