Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoot n Greet III - Staunton, VA

Shoot n Greet III - Staunton, VA

Hite Hollow “Shoot n’ Greet III”

Come one, Come all to a casual THR "shoot n' greet" at the "Hite Hollow" outdoor range.

Where: Hite Hollow shooting range at George Washington National Park near Staunton, VA
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/northriv...e_hollow.shtml

When: Saturday, January 24’th @ 12:00 noon to whenever
    This is a RAIN or SHINE (or snow) event!

This is a "bring what you will" event as the "hollow" has no restrictions on firearms size or type (this group sure had fun in 2004) and we've been having a good time as well.

There is a 25yd pistol range and a separate rifle range with 50, 100, and 150 yard hangers for targets.

It’s usually a good idea to bring some cardboard to use as a target or to hang your paper targets.

We also discovered at the last meet that it’s really fun to shoot golf-balls, small water bottles, and dollar store stuffed animals (a cleanup crew will be organized after the shoot).

The range has a permanent pit toilet and covered shooting areas but there is no running water or other amenities so bring your own food/drinks. Given that we are expecting some cold and windy weather I’ll bring along a camp stove so if you all bring your own water and favorite drink mixes we can have hot drinks available.

This is a free event but it sure wouldn't be a bad gesture to bring a few bucks to stuff in the hollow's donations-box as that goes towards maintenance of the area.

I would also respectfully ask that folks bring a few heavy duty trash bags as well so we can do a "trash-pick" after we're done shooting (try and leave the area cleaner than when we arrived).

Can't wait to see y'all there!

Zespectre (Aka Dale Hawley)
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

It's in my calendar. If the weather is survivable, Terri and I will be there!
    (yes, I am bringing the AutoMag)
    Speedy, AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy" NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV
    I don't have NEAR enough ammo!

The Land of Northern Hospitality and Southern Efficiency
    Granting a blizzard of Obamessiah proportions, I will be there as well. Nope no automags, or anything really special. However, looking forward to spending some quality time with some good folks!

I WILL be bringing a bevy of stuffed animals as I realized that there are 3 dollar stores within 1/2 a mile of my townhouse. It might be a "Dinosaur Stampede" or some other goofy "Rainbow Bright" or other theme. Whatever I can find that's cheap.
    Move along move along. Nothing to see here.

If I'm able to make it, I'll be sure to bring the Mateba!
    IANAL. TINLA. BYOB.
    You can't spell "B.O.H.I.C.A." without B.H.O.

If I'm able to make it, I'll be sure to bring the Mateba!
    SWEET! You come with that and I will be there no matter WHAT the weather! Ever shot a 9mm WinMag?
    Speedy, AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy" NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

tinygnat219, bring yerself and a smile. There are plenty of folks willing to share at all the meets we have had so far. My wife got to shoot her 1st submachine gun at one.

Anybody local to the range that can give me the address including the county...a buddy of mine would like to bring an NFA item that requires a 5320. Thanks for the help.
    "My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing will begin in five minutes."
    (Ronald Reagan 11 August 1984)

There are folks that bring full-autos there without any hassle, that I can tell you. Here are the GPS coordinates, if that helps.

Decimal Degrees (WGS84)
    Latitude Longitude
    38.117683 -79.344417

Degrees, Minutes & Seconds
    Latitude Longitude
    N38 07 03 W79 20 39

GPS
    Latitude Longitude
    N 38 07.061 W 79 20.665

UTM
    X Y
    17N 645128 4220167

Google Maps has it here.

I know, I had mine there last time, however this guy's out of state and is requires by law for him to take it out of state.
    "My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing will begin in five minutes."

I didn't know that. Lemme dig some more and see what I can dig up.

The range is located on FDR 151 (Hite Hollow Road)

According to http://www.huntingnavigator.com/hunt...shooting.html:
    Hite Hollow Shooting Range Address: Hite Hollow Rd.
    Staunton, VA 24401
    Telephone: 540-885-8028

http://130.94.182.159/rangesva.htm
    Deerfield Ranger District, 148 Parkersburg Turnpike, Staunton, VA 24401. TEL: 540-885-8028.
    The Hite Hollow Shooting Range is located near Augusta Spring. The range is open from sunrise to sunset every day for firing rifles, pistols, and shotguns at stationary targets. Moving targets such as clay pigeons, and bottle shooting are prohibited. From Staunton, take SR 254 west to Buffalo Gap. Take SR 42 south about 8 miles to Augusta Springs. Take SR 845 about a half mile to FDR 82 and follow this road about 1 mile to the range.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/f...l.asp?State=VA
    Augusta Springs - Hite Hollow Shooting Range, Hite Hollow Rd., Augusta Springs, VA 24401.
    Phone: 540-885-8028

Conflicting info EVERYWHERE! I Suggest calling the numbers above and see if they can give you the skinny on this.

That'll work...the one from the NRA has what I or rather he needs. Thanks!!

Anybody local to the range that can give me the address including the county...a buddy of mine would like to bring an NFA item that requires a 5320. Thanks for the help.
    The location is still inside Augusta County, Va.

The wife and I will be there!!!
    More than likely a couple of .44s, couple of 1911s, .45 acp wheel gun, M44 nagant, 12 ga coach gun...
    yea... I can see this being fun.

Jim

Shoot, if someone's interested, I can all kinds of Mosin Nagant variants: M38, M-44, M-44 Scout Rifle, 91/59, M1891, M39, etc.

I think I will definitely bring the M-38 and the M-44 Scout Rifle, and possibly the M1891 (it's a Westinghouse).

I am also going to bring an M-1 Carbine, and some other stuff.

Tinygnat
    Can you bring the K-31?

Sure thing!

My friend Andy and I will be there - if it's not too cold. Last time it took me a few days to recover and it wasn't even January. So we will be there if the weather forecast is for a mild January day.

I will be bringing an SKS and the UZI and FA 10/22 plus some revolvers. Also a suppressed Beretta 92F. Everyone is welcome to try out the NFA stuff as long as they are working. I have had a bad track record with breaking my guns lately.

Mike D.

I am off of work so I hope to be able to make it, If I come I will be bringing my Robinson Arms XCR, 1911, Glock 26, Thompson Center 22 Classic, and I will hopefully have my Remington 700 by then.
    Greater love hath no man, than to lay down his life for a friend

People Sleep Peaceably In Their Beds At Night only Because Rough Men Stand Ready To Do Violence On Their Behalf

DARN! I have to work. I'll be there in spirit though!
    Sincerely,

Hobie
    Shooting with Hobie

Got to play Navy for the weekend, I'll wait for event IV. I just got a new toy most probably have not seen one of either.
    No, holding that venegence upon their enemies was more to be desired than any personal blessings, and reckoning this to be the most glorious of hazards, they joyfully determined to accept the risk... Thus, choosing to die resisting, rather than to live submitting, they fled only from dishonor... Pericles' Funeral Oration

About a Week to Go

Anyone good at long term weather forecasting?

I just got a new warm coat and will be buying some long underwear tomorrow in preparation for the shoot. I will probably be there even if it's pretty cold but not if it's raining.

Mike D.

I'm pretty darned sure I'll have hand-warmers and foot-warmers and hot drinks <grin>.

(watch, it'll be 60 degrees)

I should be able to make it, even if only to hang out a bit!

Well, I was a bit under the weather this past weekend and I was wondering how long the cold/flu was going to last. It pretty much ruined things from Friday to Monday but I'm feeling a LOT better today so I'm confident that I'm back in the game for Saturday!

Looking forward to seeing y'all there and I'm bringing along the setup for another pistol challenge