Thread: AR sight shopping

AR sight shopping

Looking to buy a holographic type weapon sight for my flat top AR. Any suggestions? I don't need it to be magnified or have night vision capable. This is just for sport shooting [non compete],plinking,home defense. The EOTech line looks good but the price is way out of my league [$500-$700]. I did find Buris FastFire sights for $180-$250 but it is still a bit on the high side for me. I was hopeing to find something around $100. I know what ya pay for is what ya get but I can't see spending that much. Thanks in advance.
    NRA life member, Support Our Troops,
    Pointman Ministries Member
    MMCDC Member

You can sometimes find "Ultra Dot" optics for around $150ish...

If that is still too much you can look at the Bushnell Trophy line. The 1x32mm is a decent little red dot. (Link Here)http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...-8&sa=N&tab=wf

Or the 1x28mm for less than 100... (I would personally go with the 1x32 over the 1x28 though.

http://www.google.com/products?q=Bus...&hl=en&show=dd

For the record, I had a Tasco Red Dot on my Ruger 22/45 that worked like a charm. Held zero through constant abuse, batteries lasted until I sold the pistol (With the scope mounted on it) the new owner still hasn't changed the batteries or changed the zero at 50 yards..... The optic has been on the pistol for over a year now.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

"Except for ending slavery, Fascism, Nazism, and Communism, war has never solved anything."

Just so we're all clear on the subject; the Fastfire and practically all other "dot" sights are reflex sights-- not holographic. Electro-Optics Technologies makes the only holographic sights, some of which are marketed under the Bushnell name.

The two technologies (reflex and holographic) though used in the same way, are entirely different.

I frequently find people mistaking the so-called "heads-up" configuration (C-More, Trijicon Reflex, Fastfire, et al) with being holographic, but if it's not an EOTech or a Bushnell Holosight, it's not holographic-- it's a reflex sight. You also see reflex sights referred to as "collimator" sights or simply as red dot sights (but the dot can be any color and any shape and some have selectable colors or shapes) but they're all reflex sights.

Also see here;
    http://www.ultimak.com/UnderstandingE-sights.htm

I've got a FastFire and absolutely love it. It sits on an 11o'clock offset rail (I'm a lefty) next to my FullField II, mounted up top. It's a great 3-gun setup.

I know you said it was a little pricey but I've gotta give it a big +1. I like that it has an on / off switch. For the money, I don't think you can beat it.
    If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you. - Jack Handey

Yesterday at the local gun show I found one guy selling Eotechs for $10-15 below retail. I found another guy who had an EOTech look a like[www.scvector.biz] for $200-$250. Mounted it on my flat top AR and it looked nice-fit nice. He also had AK mags [Tapco] for $18 each. So we worked a deal. 2 AK mags and the holo sight for $200. Now I need to get it sighted in. At this show it was spread out more and folks wern't running into each other as much.
    MMCDC Member

I see a lot of good deals on EOtechs pop up on ar15.com. Good buys on new ones from vendors as well as deals on used ones.
    "Bob Maplethorpe: Potential getaway driver. GO!"

Administrator   
    You should be able to get an EoTech 511 for about $379, much more than that is not a good price

There is much debate between EOTech and Aimpoint users but the majority of professional instructors and professionals seem to recommend Aimpoint if you are doing anything important.

I would not buy a knockoff if it is a weapon you will count on to save your life. If it is a range toy then requirements are a lot lower.

My sister has a Bushnell Holosight on her AR and loves it, can be had for about $230. Rumor says it is made by EOtech. One of the biggest points when she bought it was the 1 MOA dot(with 65MOA ring) since most have a much bigger dot. - cory

I've got an EOTech on my AR. I like it. I paid $355 new for it from Upstate Armory at a gun show a few years ago. I like the 1MOA dot over the Aimpoint, but the battery life of the Aimpoint is much, much greater. Since both are out of your price range, you may want to look at the Vortex StrikeFire. It sells for $130 new from SWFA and comes with the mount and a 2x magnifier.

http://www.swfa.com/p-12783-vortex-1...0mm-sight.aspx

I've got one at the house but don't have anything to mount it on. My AR and my 556 already have optics. I sheared off the bolt when I tried to mount it on my 556 before my DMS-1 came in. I contacted Vortex and they stated that they had received a shipment of mounts that had hollow screws instead of solid ones like they ordered. They apologized for the trouble and are sending me a whole new mount. Great customer service.

From what I understand, the Bushnell holosight is an EOTech, minus the little "roll bar" hood on the top to make it mil-spec. Should be able to go with the Bushnell and get the same sight. It just won't be able to take the pounding that a EOTech will. I'm not sure if EOTech makes Bushnell or if it is the other way around.
    NRA Life Member

My elected officials know and are routinely reminded of what I expect of them. Can you say the same?

Got my EOTech knockoff sighted in last week. It has two options. Red or green reticle. I got some red targets so I chose the green reticle option. I also ordered a protective cover from an EOTech dealer that fits good on it. Since this is going to be used for plinking I am happy with my set up. I think I will order a 'rubbery' pistol grip for it next.
    MMCDC Member

SPOT Mark III

Pretty nice scope...get the 3moa. About $165. Do a search over at arf.com. A guy did a pretty extensive beat up test on it and it performed very well. Been happy with mine...
    Paddy the Giant Irishman

Republic of Texas
    Gateway to All Things Illegal Arriving from the South!