Thread: Can someone help me identify the model of this Browning Buckmark?

Can someone help me identify the model of this Browning Buckmark?

I got this older Browning Buckmark as a belated Christmas present from my father. It didn't come with with any papers or anything that identifies the model. I was wondering if I could get some help with figuring out the model. Its a great pistol, I took it out shooting yeseterday and had a lot of fun with it. I dated it using the Browning website, and the date of manufacture it 1990. I was thinking either a standard, camper or UDX, I really like the slab-side barrel. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by JeffDilla; January 1st, 2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Manufactured in 1990
    Jeff

NRA Member

It is the Buckmark Plus, which is the standard gun with wood instead of plastic grips.
    Expensive wood grips, in the 1991 Gun Digest list price was $265.95 versus $218.95 for the base model.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

Thanks Jim
    Jeff

NRA Member

I knew right away it wasn't the camper because I have one. It does look a lot like my Challenger III, but I wouldn't argue with Mr. Watson. What does the right side look like?

Thumbs up

Very nice X-mas present.. Your Dad has good ~ taste

Ls
    ~ Fate is the Hunter ~

Beretta
    SIG
    Springfield
    7 German Shepherds ~ RIP

(OO) Lost but making good time

Jim, my Blue Book says the Buckmark Plus also had a high-polish blue finish, which the Originals Poster's gun doesn't seem to have (also makes the price difference you quoted seem a bit more reasonable).

I was leaning toward calling it a Challenger III also (I had one many moons ago), but the BB also says those were discontinued in 1985, which is incompatible with the born-on date the OP found on Browning's website. If it WAS a Challenger III, it would say so on the right side of the barrel, I believe.

Because the OP called it a Buckmark, I'm assuming it SAYS "Buckmark" on the right side, and if so, then I think it is a standard 1990-model Buckmark that has had the grips updated to the "Plus" versions at some point in the past (maybe they were an extra-cost option on the base model?).

The early Buckmark models were distinguished by the flat-sided plastic skip-checkered grip panels (that warped so badly that they sometimes wouldn't hold certain parts in place correctly; I still have a set in my junk drawer), and the all-metal rear sight, soon to be changed to a mostly plastic unit. The metal rear sight, (as shown in the photos, above) had two opposing screws for windage adjustment; loosen one, tighten the other, and the sight blade slid sideways a little bit. Repeat as necessary until windage was zeroed.
    Glocks in Nine suit me just fine.

DJ Niner, you're right, it does have Buckmark on the side of the gun, and the manufacture date is 1990. Good info regarding the sights and everything else. Thanks.
    Jeff

NRA Member

The Browning Buckmarks are fine pistols. My wife shoots a Camper and I have a scoped Contour Lite. Great guns for the money.