Thread: Let's make a pro-gun video

Let's make a pro-gun video

Note: This is copied and pasted from a post i made at .org Sorry for the redundancy, but wouldn't want to miss anyone interested in helping

My friend Matt and I have been mulling over the idea of making a single movie, or a series of shorts about RKBA. I have a couple of ideas that I'd like to float by all of you, and also if any of you are in the SE Michigan area and would like to participate please let me know by either posting in this thread or through pm (email is hemike2000 at hotmail dot com).

Idea Number 1:

A series of images of ordinary people going about their daily lives, very short clips. In each clip (no, i didn't mean magazine )someone says their name ie "My name is Bob Smith, and I'm a gun owner". Objective of said short would be to...as Oleg is fond of saying... make gun ownership unremarkable. If we could get non-traditional gun owners (or groups of people who aren't commonly thought of as gun owners) it would be even better.

Idea Number 2:

Another series of images, but this one will go "My name is Bob Smith. I'm a gun owner, and I vote". This one will just be a bunch of clips put together, edited into a :30 or 1:00 commercial. If any of you would like to help with this, you can use a webcam or something similar and record yourself. How you would get said footage to me for editing is something I'd have to figure out (probably rapidshare or megaupload if the clip is especially long).

Idea Number 3:

This would be a film, probably around an hour or so. Just basically talking to various people about guns, why they own guns, etc. Like a Bowling for Columbine, but with actual research and accurate statistics.

If any of you would like to contribute, or have any ideas that would help make any of this better please let me know.
    I'm such an Operator that Gecko45 has a poster of me on his wall.

That sounds like an excellent idea. It would definitely show America what gun ownership really means.

Although this would be an investment, I think it would be awesome if you could get people from all around the country, talking about gun ownership, to get a wide sample of people, not just your average white male hunter.

Make sure that you give accurate statistics and interview people whose lives have been saved by gun ownership. You want to try and disprove the lies about guns, especially those about concealed carry and "assault weapons" which seem to be the most popular and strongest ones today.

Also, it would hurt to show a segment about competitive shooting, namely USPSA and IDPA. That might actually entice people to try it. I might be willing to help out a bit, but I live in Illinois, by Chicago. Shoot me a PM if your ideas become more concrete.

Write up sample scripts, send them out to people, have them shoot footage for you, and send it back via email, etc.

Take the best, edit appropriately, and roll into one or more shorts and post on youtube.

The advantages of this approach are:
    1) get stories from average folks all across the country
    2) it distributes the workload a bit (i.e. your own gang of "2nd unit" directors)

I came across this thread with a search: http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread...out+bag&page=2

Maybe you can find someone that used their gun for self defense on here. Your video has to be figuratively dripping with stories like that to prove your point.

I would like to contribute, but I'm not entirely comfortable using a first and last name on this. Additionally, I think that using first names only would reinforce the "unremarkable" nature of being a gun owner.

"My name is Ron. Gun owner, airplane mechanic."

Although this would be an investment, I think it would be awesome if you could get people from all around the country, talking about gun ownership, to get a wide sample of people, not just your average white male hunter.
    That was definitely part of the Idea, and I also like Gingerbreadman's idea to only use first names since its more personable. It's still a matter of getting a bunch of strangers to shoot something in a manner that I want it to be shot that is going to be the biggest hurdle for having a bunch of pro-gunners from across the country making clips, even if being shot off of an identical script. I also would probably have to have them say at the beginning of the script something in effect of a waiver. That's a good idea to Picard about the IDPA and IPSC, even Cowboy Action would probably make for some good footage. Great ideas so far, as I knew I would get from THR

Also do you have a camera that you could use to record yourself saying just that gingerbreadman? (if your comfortable doing so of course).

I'll be traveling across the state tomorrow, so it might be a day or so before I can get anything out, but I'll try ASAP.

I was thinking that this video could expand on idea #2 by first having people introduce themselves (name, occupation), then have another go-around with a personal reason why they own a gun (previous encounter with bad guy/ interest in history, etc), then finish with with another reason why they own a gun that most people should be able to identify with (for the children/ etc.). Just my $0.02.

I also think that avoiding cliche phrases like "if you ban guns, then only criminals have them" is a must.

I also think that avoiding cliche phrases like "if you ban guns, then only criminals have them" is a must.
    I definitely agree with that statement. Saying things such as "cold dead hands" and other such statements... while true... only tends to marginalize us as a group and make us look nutty.

I have the equipment that I can help with the edit.
    Targa T3K, Adobe Premier
    Can handle VHS or DVD
    The 2nd preserves the rest.
    Life Member NRA, Member TSRA

Your first idea sounds like the book "Armed America" http://www.armedamerica.org/ Not that thats a bad thing. I think the book was great and a film would be great too.

Armed America is definitely an inspiration for the first idea. I really enjoyed the book but I don't feel the need to have people who own guns just for sport, or are anti's (like the guy who turned his grandfathers dueling pistols into lamps!!!) in the film. It will be a completely unabashed pro RKBA loving piece of propaganda

Great little movie here, "2A Today for the USA".

Scroll down to "File Download Options" to view. I saved the entire thing to my laptop. I started out watching "Part 1" to see what it was like and couldn't stop.

Might get some good ideas there.

For further inspiration you might look for the Penn and Teller firearms segment in their Bulls*** series. There are several short videos dealing with laws and the 2nd Amendment. I think there is also one longer video that contains all or most of the segments.
    Smart Gun + 1 Battery + 3 Wires = Dumb Gun

PC = Groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!

San Francisco who??

Great little movie here, "2A Today for the USA".
    Ouuuchers.... That outro song during the credits was the cheesiest thing I've ever heard.

The rest of it was great though.

Back on topic:
    If we could simply get people to understand that the AK-47 fires a weak, intermediate round, I'd be much happier.

A short video of common misconceptions could be made, even if only "semi-gunnys" saw it, to dispell some myths about "assault weapons", "armor-piercing bullets", and "high-capacity magazines". Some sort of "So you think you know something about guns" title would be fine.

If nothing else, more people being in the know could help us from being constantly barraged by idiots who don't know of which they speak.

Suggestions

I'm a music producer in Las Vegas, I can help with the music in post.

I kind of like the idea of a 1 hour documentary.

I would look for subjects who don't neccessarily fit the gun owner stereotype. As some one else pointed out here, avoid worn-out catch phrases (cold dead hands, only criminals will have guns) try to keep it real. Know your audience and for God sake, don't preach to the choir. If the antis mindset can't be shown to be understood, and the pure reasons and motives for their positions validated, then there will be zero chance to change them. Make sure that the viewer comes away with a brand new experience of who and what a lawful gun owner is.

Also, don't fail to seize on any emotional content such as those whose loved one is alive due to an excersize of 2A rights, physically challenged people who have been threatened and who want to take responsibility for their own safety. Targeted or actual rape victims who defended themselves successfully with a firearm.

It's good to dispel anti-gun myths, but be careful to do so respectfully and with compassion and understanding for those who have been duped for so long.

We need to win minds and more importantly, hearts. There is simply no other way to change people.

Also, try to keep the production value high. Nothing screams podunk like cheap video, bad lighting, poor photography, cheesy music, etc.

Make it easy and a pleasure to watch. Music can help here, too. Nothing less than the best broadcast quality will do.

I've got more ideas but that's probably plenty for now.

For further inspiration you might look for the Penn and Teller firearms segment in their Bulls*** series.
    For anyone interested, you can watch this full-length HBO documentary here-

Gun Control is Bull****

Caution if viewing with children around. Penn uses profanity at times.

I finally got a video clip, but the sound quality is so poor it's not worth using. I'll have to find another way.

Thats cool gingerbreadman, I'm having trouble getting clips atm anyways, but keep trying please.