Thread: AR Scope Shopping

AR Scope Shopping

I thought I'd borrow ultradoc's title from the other thread. I have a similar issue, but of the opposite type. I am soon to receive a Rock River Predator Pursuit upper with a heavy match barrel. The scope I have to put on it right now is a Leupold 3-9X50 which I think will work fine for now, but I was hoping to get something better suited and reserve that scope for another rifle.

I am looking for scope ideas that you have used or would prefer for a match barreled 223 rifle. I have a couple ideas I linked to below, but I would appreciate your opinions.

My primary use will likely just be target shooting off a bench. I can't see myself doing much actual varmint shooting with it. I figured I would look at the 10X to 15X magnification range. Is that the ideal magnification? The 3-9X scopes are often cheaper.

For price, I think $300 to $600 is realistic. I was considering buying one of the $300 scopes below this weekend, but I doubt I would spend over $600 unless the scope was just lightyears ahead of the alternatives. www.Gunshopfinder.com has a nice looking Bushnell scope that seems to fit the bill. I have also seen this Nikon Buckmaster scope that fits same profile. I know Leupold has similar scopes as well as other brands.

http://www.gunshopfinder.com/bushnel...l-325154M.html
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=353438

Please let me know what you use on your target rifle or what you wish you had.
    "No tendency is quite so strong in human nature as the desire to lay down rules of conduct for other people."

"The world is not going to be saved by legislation."
    William Howard Taft

I picked up a factory refurb Nikon Monarch X 2.5-10x44 with the dual illuminated reticle from www.samplelist.com a couple of weeks ago for $750 w/o the accessories (covers). They still have a few of the non-illuminated ones listed for $699 and one of the illuminated for $799, but check thier eBay auctions, they may be a bit less that way if your interested.
    -Lee
    "In Jersey anything's legal, as long as you don't get caught."
    Traveling Wilburys, "Tweeter and the Monkey Man"

I have pretty much decided to use what I have for now. I may get another scope later, but now right now.
    "No tendency is quite so strong in human nature as the desire to lay down rules of conduct for other people."

"The world is not going to be saved by legislation."
    William Howard Taft