Thread: Where are all the reloading supplies

Unhappy Where are all the reloading supplies

I've been trying to stock up on reloading supplies for the last couple of weeks and seem to be having difficulty finding much of anything. Is anyone else experiencing such difficulty?

I see very few bullets, brass, primers, powder etc. on the popular sites like Widener's for instance. I have not been able to access Midway's website for a week now. Does anyone know what is going on with Midway? Has their site been down or is it just abnormally heavy traffic?

I usually buy supplies at the gun show here but I missed the December show and there is not one in my area in January.

I guess everybody is buying all the supplies they can before the Messiah takes office. That would explain everybody being out of stock on most items.

Molon Labe,
    Joe
    BigGunsMoreFun

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid."
    --Mark Twain

Midway is up - I've ordered from them twice in the last week

But yeah it's slim pickings these days. I try to keep my eyes out (Midway, PowderValley, Brownells, etc.) for who has what in stock and grab what I need as soon as I can. I'm willing to pay a few extra bucks to get stuff from my local reloading shop too - at this point, I'm glad to have what I can get.

I've got a good supply of most stuff - enough pistol components to load up about 1500 rounds and enough rifle stuff to load up about 3000 rounds - but AR-15 parts are becoming VERY scarce and backorders are really dragging on. I've been waiting on a parts order from Del-Ton since the middle of November and my Midway magazines & springs have been backpordered since December and seem to get further out every time I check on them.

I think it's just a rough time.
    If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you. - Jack Handey

Where are all the reloading supplies
    In my garage. Well maybe not all of them but enough to last a while.
    Rusty
    I don't ever remember being absent minded.

Quite a bit of pretty much everything on the shelves at the local Gander Mountain in Geneva, IL when I was in there over the weekend. No rem 9 1/2 Large Rifle primers but they had Winchester, Federal and CCI. The powder cabinet was full to the brim.
    "They're going to legislate us to Heaven, whether we want to go or not." - My Dad

Everyone is someone else's whack-job.

Perserverance is a virtue, unless you're an idiot.- Wes Janson

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS, DISTRICT OF ROUND ROCK
    elChupacabra, next time you need to buy holler at me, let's get a DFW group buy going. I can usually beet Powder valley prices by buying on my dealer account at Grafs, and if we get a large order together we can all save some cash. Anyone else in the DFW area reloading that might want in on a group buy?
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    --George Washington

elChupacabra, next time you need to buy holler at me, let's get a DFW group buy going. I can usually beet Powder valley prices by buying on my dealer account at Grafs, and if we get a large order together we can all save some cash. Anyone else in the DFW area reloading that might want in on a group buy?
    I really appreciate the offer Griz and next time I head for DFW to visit family I'll definitely keep that in mind, but I live in Tennessee now so I probably am not your best shot at the time.

Thanks for the offer though
    If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you. - Jack Handey

I call it the "Obama Sale". People are preparing for when the Schumer hits the fan.
    The Antibubba

If you are a Jew who supports gun control, you've either forgotten the lessons of the Holocaust, or you never learned them in the first place.

I have noticed that of late myself, I have been to locals where they are running lean themselves...

Regards

first off, as far as midway goes - i browse that side fairly regularly just out of boredom. It's been fine for me...

As far as the availability of various items, I think it's a multi-faceted problem. The issues that I see influencing supply.

a) raw materials pricing was very high for awhile.
    b) energy prices - particularly fuel costs for transporting materials/products went through the roof for awhile.
    c) economy was slowing down, this means people buying less. Combine it with (a)/(b) and mfg's are less likely to want to keep production high, as it increases their costs at a time when demand appears to be about to fall off.
    d) the election caused a panic
    e) christmas season.

Combine the sudden increase in demand caused by d+e, and the net result of C, and in the end everybody was caught with their pants around their ankles, and simply do not have the products to keep up. My guess is, supply will pick up sometime in March, but very briefly. When people start getting tax returns - I think it's going to keep demand high for a bit. If we get stimulus checks, I think that will also keep demand high.
    Luckily, commodities pricing has gone down and fuel costs have gone down. With the economy tanking, labor costs are likely to go down as well. If it comes together just right, the increased demand and decreased cost to mfg's will help motivate them to really get serious about production and supply will increase.

It's all just a basic supply/demand cost/profit economics thing.

I've not had any huge problems, aside from some jacketed bullets backordered by Midway. Those orders were promptly shipped as Midway restocked.

I WAS frustrated by availability of cast lead bullets. One or two suppliers disappeared. Others stopped listing items I desired. Prices became a drag but that was understandable due to the bubble in lead prices. Lead has dropped 50% or more this past year but bullet makers have had to swallow the high-price materials.

I did spend heavily on bullet casting equipment to fulfill my needs. Now I only have to worry about retail availability of "evil" lead.
    If the sun's up, you still have a pulse and background radiation levels are nominal -- everything else is gravy! ChAir Force Specialty Code 1825K // My oath to "defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic" has no DOS. . . .

Powder Valley has pretty much all powders back in stock.

And they've almost caught up with shipping the huge rash of post election orders.

And they're great people to deal with too.

As a matter of fact, FedEx is delivering to me tomorrow some AA2460 from Powder Valley.

Forrest

check out grafs... maybe give them a call...... when i was in the area the Super reloading store was pretty much stocked..... on line inventories may not reflect amounts on hand...... I picked up everything to last me for the next year
    It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I placed an order on Nov. 28th and still don't have it. 9mm, 45acp bullets backordered, Large Rifle Primers Backordered and one powder that I wanted was backordered. I told them Monday (Jan. 5)to send what they have and I will just have to pay another Hazmat charge when the other powder and primers come in.
    NRA & TSRA Memeber

Life's better Outdoors

I may have found the last can of Unique in Sacramento county.
    The Antibubba

If you are a Jew who supports gun control, you've either forgotten the lessons of the Holocaust, or you never learned them in the first place.

A few days ago I commented to my favorite local supplier on how slick his shelves were looking, and the gist of his reply was, "Tim's at a show right now, and we'll be back up to speed after inventory this month." Nothing arcane about such an answer, to me anyway.