Thread: Shimming a scope

Shimming a scope

I'm trying to mount a Leupold 3X9X40 VXI on my new Henry 22 mag. I'm using Leupold rings. The only way I can get close to zero (eleveation) with my boresighter is to add a .010" shim under the scope on the rear ring. The receiver has a factory 13mm rimfire "grove" so you cannot shim under any bases. How bad is it to shim a scope?
    NRA Member
    RMEF Life Member
    Location - Mt. WhereinthehellamI? Utah

It's not generally a problem unless you are cranking down the clamp screws on the rings close to the point of stripping them.

It can bend the scope tube in extreme cases since shimming makes the bores of the two rings non coaxial, but for no more force than is needed to anchor for the recoil of a 22 mag and with only a .010 shim you should have no problems.

Personally, I'd try the setup at the range without the shim first. Boresighters make unwarranted assumptions about scope height over the bore and I refused to use them when I was smithing for that very reason.

Tiger
    the weapon you have to "go get" is not a weapon, it is an emotional comfort talisman

I'm not real exicited about boresighters either but when you set up a lever gun they make it easier to hit the paper.
    NRA Member
    RMEF Life Member
    Location - Mt. WhereinthehellamI? Utah

Different rings??

You could get a set of Burris Signature POS-ALIGN rimfire rings and a set of their offset ring inserts. The signature rings come with a synthetic insert that is supposed to prevent scope damage from misaligned rings. The standard insert can be replaced with an offest insert to correct for misaligned rings. The basic offset kit comes with a pair of +/-.005", .+/-010" and +/-.020" inserts. Available through Brownells. Rings cost about $70, insert kit about $16. You can use your Leupold rings for some othe rproject.

Ignore the boresighter

I bought a boresighter, used it once and found my level to do more good. Level the rifle/shotgun, level the scope, call it good. Now go sight it in.

What I'd really hate to see is you spending time, money and effort to fix a non-existent problem. Level everything out, pop a few shots at 25 yards and see if you can't dial it in.
    I wish I believed in reincarnation. Where's Charles "The Hammer" Martel when you need him?

www.bagpipeforum.com
    yes, I play the bagpipes. No, I don't wear a skirt. It's called a kilt.

Some of the smartest people I've known were "dumb hillbillies".

I use a cheap laser boresighter, I've got about 35' free run down the hall and across the living room Getting the reticle or red dot near the laser dot has always had my first shot on the paper at 50 yards.

--wally.
    Your commitment to Freedom and Liberty is measured by your tolerance for others doing things you disapprove.
    NRA Patron Member since Jan 20, 2009.