Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 ammo shortage?

.22 ammo shortage?

Does anyone know why WalMart and other dealers are completely sold out of .22 ammo in some areas?

When I was unable to buy any .22 ammo at the local Walmart last month because the shelves were bare, I started asking some of my friends in different parts of the country about the availability of .22 ammo and discovered there are apparent shortages of .22 ammo in Arizona, Florida, Missouri, Georgia, North Carolina and Texas.

Does anyone know why?
    NRA Life Member

It has all been bought up. Demand exceeds supply for the time being.

Yup, even up here in NH. Local W/M had last 4 bulk packs of Federal .22, so I grabbed them. That was two weeks ago.

I've been looking for some .357 Mag and the only thing on the shelves is the $40+ stuff per 50 rnds.

Does anyone know why WalMart and other dealers are completely sold out of .22 ammo in some areas?
    California here, we are experiencing bare ammo shelves at Walmart for most popular calibers. The consistent explanation is that "the warehouse has no more ammo."

Demand seems to be outstripping supply because while other local stores still have ammo that is priced a little higher though I'm not seeing them replenish their stocks as quickly as ammo is selling.

My local Walmart had very little pistol ammo left a couple weeks ago. The guy told me that rumors are fueling sales. Some people are buying $500 of it at a time.
    -Mark-

Yes, I own more than one.

My two local Wal Marts have been sold out ot 22 ammo and much other ammo for a couple weeks also.

.22 ammo shortage?
    IMO, for several reasons.

People are scared of what the new President and his cohorts are going to do as far as new anti-gun/ammo laws. A President can do a lot of damage with just the stroke of a pen.

People are scared of hard times to come and people that never owned a gun before are seeing that they had better be armed.

Many shooters, like me, have always stocked up to save money. Now we are stocking up even more to beat the rising cost of ammo, or unavailability, or the bleak political future

Since "everybody" has a 22, the 22 ammo goes fast.

In any case ammo is a good investment.
    I'll be shooting 9mm WWB that cost me $4.38/50, for a long time.
    What does it cost now?

As explained to me by a wally world manager in the family ammo is not a warehouse item like most products. The purchasers have to order the product and then it's just a matter of time before it shows up on the rack.

He tells me that they might get some in within the next 2 weeks. Then again, they might not.

Just keep checking and when it comes in buy all you need now.

I was at Academy Sporting Goods last week and noticed that all the .223, .308, .30-06 ammo was sold out. I bought a box of .17 HMR but didn't notice the .22 LR. My lady went to Wal-Mart later and I asked her to pick up a bulk box of .22 for the grandkids to shoot. She came home with a box of Federal 550 (or 525) round bulk pack.

All those folks buying guns are buying ammo too. Hooray!

walmart in the S.W. chicago suburbs............plenty of .22lr ammo........kmart also
    Do you believe in Jesus? Well, your going to meet Him. P. Kersey death wish
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCnE0BfVNZE

The only thing I have seen short is .45LC. Seems fewer makers are making it. It is running close to $40/ box of 50 or more when you can find it.

I asked the sales clerk at Walmart why there isn't much .22lr for sale...he said its because of the war...I walked.

Smile

I bought it all.

Not!

I did buy quite a bit of it though!

Demand is exceeding supply for now. Companies are behind in keeping up with the demand. That goes for 22LR and ALL kinds of other ammunition. It includes some items for 'reloaders' too.

Catherine
    Closed Account

The Walmarts around me have a moderate amount of .22lr, but very low amount of anything else.

This is why I keep at least 500 rounds in reserve for every gun I own, and well more than twice that for "important" guns (my carry .45s, and my AR-15s)
    "[The 2nd Amendment's] free exercise is the antithesis of serfdom and the only meaningful form of holocaust insurance known to man." -- Gus Cotey, Jr.
    NRA, SAF, and JPFO Life Member. USCCA annual member.
    Public Relations Coordinator, Connecticut Citizens Defense League, Inc.

I checked Wal Mart again today. Still no 22.

This is getting serious. I'm getting down to the last 40 thousand rounds.

I think another factor is when commodity prices were on the up slope inventory of finished ammo maintained or increased in value, with commodity prices falling rapidly having inventory on hand at current prices makes it easier for you competitors to undercut you later. So you will be seeing "just-in-time" manufacturing taken to extremes.

As far as I know all the ammo makers are parts of large conglomerates now, and what is best for them sure ain't always best for us.

--wally.
    Your commitment to Freedom and Liberty is measured by your tolerance for others doing things you disapprove.
    NRA Patron Member since Jan 20, 2009.

One word, Obama. Everyone is fearing the worst from him so they are stocking up while they can.
    Do you smell that? I love the smell of Napalm in the morning. It smells like, like victory.

My local walmart is also low on .22 (only has the expensive 100 rd boxes) but just last week they did finally get there 9mm supply back.. Also found some .45auto bulk 100rd in the same store.. So at least a few calibers are coming back in stock, cause after the elections the shelves were bare of just about ALL calibers.. Still cant find any .38 spl though.. Hopefully soon!
    Mick

The stores around here I've been in seem to have .22 LR, but the prices have gone through the roof. Federal American Eagle is about 3X/brick what it was 3 or 4 years ago.

My Wally Worlds (3 of them) are esentially bare.
    Clerk told me next month until resupply

AFS
    'Qui tacet consentit': To remain silent is to consent.

by Larry E :
    The stores around here I've been in seem to have .22 LR, but the prices have gone through the roof. Federal American Eagle is about 3X/brick what it was 3 or 4 years ago.
    Same as around here. There seems to be plenty (though the selection is not very good) but the prices are $18-$22 for a brick as compared to $5-$8 3 years ago.
    To all gun/shooting enthusiasts :
    "Support the ENTIRE Bill of Rights, not just the 2nd Amendment, every chance you get. If one amendment gets trounced on then the others will soon follow.

Local Walmart here was out too.

Why not order it online from one of the major suppliers? Natchez, Midway, etc. They seem to have it.
    Shelley B.
    NRA, GOA, SAF

Midway is out of a lot of it as well. "Out of Stock, No Backorder" seems to be de rigeur over there!

I know folks who are usually more socially isolated than the rest of us are still aware of the pending inauguration of the most anti-gun President ever. Even those who are, ummm, financially conservative (i.e. cheap) are buying lots of ammo to avoid taxes or bans. They would normally buy no more than they actually needed for day-to-day use. When you have many thousands buying several bricks rather than a single 50 or 100-round box at a time you will have shortages.
    Sincerely,

Hobie
    Shooting with Hobie

ND Resident, Stationed in NC, Deployed Overseas
    WalMart, Havelock NC, no federal bulp pack. Remington Bulk and 325 round federal match (along with a bunch of various CCI boxes).
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

Most Wal-Mart's in Phoenix have lots. Of course, I'm not helping the supply any - every time I pass by a Wally World, I buy a brick.

I pass by a Wally World at least 6 times a week.

-Steve