Thread: Get your kids to the range!

Get your kids to the range!

My 7yo daughter started shooting with me last spring. It's been a real treat taking her to the range each week; the end result being that she's getting good, and we enjoy the time together.

For Christmas, Santa brought us a 10/22 and I've embarked on project pip-squeak. After quite a bit of research on RimfireCentral and other places I decided to modify a donated 10/22 carbine stock (thanks gotm4) to fit my little girl.

this gave me an idea of where to start:

here's a snap before the cutting (and a shot of the paint that will be used when we're all said and done with the cutting/sanding):

here it is 'in-the-white':

the notched area allows her hand to sit low and have better reach on the trigger

modded stock + 10/22 DSP barreled action:

She finally got to try it out this past weekend, and she surprised me to say the least - qualifying for her NSSF Junior USA Shooting Team patch (her two practice targets also qualified, but this is the one we called for score prior to shooting):

above shot @ 50 feet, from rest, with Federal bulk pack ammo

mods so far:
    -factory stock barrel
    -factory stock bolt
    -factory stock trigger group (internals polished; ~5+lb trigger pull)
    -Tech Sight TSR100 AR15 style aperture sights

planned mods:
    -Kidd match bolt
    -VQ hammer
    -another stock is in the works
    -paint once stock is completed

If/when you take the kiddos to the range, be sure to take along an NSSF packet and let them try for a patch!
    Tom

Good job on the stock. In a couple years you can get another and 'make' another stock for her.

Any comments from her friends parents?

Thanks langenc.

No negative comments thus far. Of the friends/neighbors we've shared with, they all told her about when they learned to shoot with their dads and think it's cool that she likes to shoot.

The folks at the range have all been very encouraging as well.
    Tom

Both gun and target look great!
    3KB

"When confronted by a hungry wolf, it is unwise to goad the beast... But it is equally unwise to imagine the snarling animal a friend and offer your hand..." - Cicero

Thanks for posting that chart!
    A couple of weeks ago I took my daughter to the range for the first time. She hasn't been enthused about rifles, even the Crickett I bought her, but she is curious about handguns.
    Before we went I got a long piece of banner paper (the big 4' wide rolled up paper football teams tend to run through before games) and chopped it up into poster-sized chunks. Then with markers I made goofy targets: a T-Rex, jack o' lantern, bat, chicken, clown face, etc... The targets were a big hit!
    She wasn't a fan of the Ruger MkII but loved the revolver with .22 shorts. By the end she was loading and unloading while I held it. I practically had to drag her away from the range when she'd chewed up all the targets.
    When it gets a little warmer we'll do the rifle range.
    Please, keep posting pics of the project. I may do something similar with an old Savage I have.
    Everybody spread love

good on ya' Apple! My daughter liked to shoot Pokemon characters when she first started last spring

A member of rimfirecentral is making a stock for my lil' girl, and he sent along a few teaser pics today. Here's one...

Tom

Thanks for the chart. It will help me with a 10/22 that I am working on for my six year old. Good looking job on the stock, and she should be proud of that target.

thanks OS, hope the chart helps out. Got a few more pics today of the stock that's being built, I'll post one more teaser shot

Tom

Sweet!!

That is a VERY tight group for someone her age. IMHO. Kudos.

I've been thinking about doing something like this for my son. He's 5 and amazingly focused, both for being a boy and for being 5, and he's a bit large for his size. The Cricket/Chipmunk .22 rifles fit him, to two exceptions:

* the trigger is too far forward of the bend in the stock, if he's going to wrap his thumb around the stock. This may or may not be a problem, as a lot of competitive shooters will apparently just rest their hand next to the stock so as to not jerk it.
    * due to his angular features resulting from a diet heavy in meat and dairy, the stock is too high for his cheek bones (even at five(!)) and he has difficulty getting low enough to sight properly (I have this problem on a lot of stocks as well).

I've found that peep sights work really well for kids starting to shoot; I personally find it easier/quicker to acquire a target (snap shooting) with bar and groove, but the peeps work really well for my son, and he's able to hit targets pretty well.

I've taken him to the gun shop to handle a Bushmaster Carbon-22, and it fits him perfectly/very well with the stock collapsed (or rather, an AR15 with a collapsed stock fits well but is too heavy, and a carbon15 is light enough for him). When I get some money, I'll likely get one of those for him/us.

Oh yeah, great group. I don't remember if I could do that at her age, but I'm pretty certain some of my (female) cousins could - my grandfather was a bit of a shooting fanatic/taskmaster, and they loved it. Just the same, that is an exceptional group. Many adults can't do that.

Nice!

That's a great job on the target! I enjoy reading these stories in anticipation for when I get to take my two little ones to the range though they are still a bit too young yet. (One is 7months, the other 3 1/2) Hoping to start the older one with a youth bow and arrow this summer!

"goldilocks" arrived in the mail today:

she's anxious to try it out at the range this weekend - then it's on to paint!
    Last edited by lindermant; January 27th, 2009 at 07:25 AM.
    Tom

By uncledoj, shot with Canon PowerShot A1000 IS at 2009-01-26[/IMG]
    Here is a pic of some of the targets we used. They were great fun!
    Ignore the [censored] cats tussling.

That stock looks great! I'm looking forward to seeing it after you paint it.
    Everybody spread love

Maybe its just the picture, but the pistol grip on the Goldilocks stock looks like it would be huge for a 7 year old hand.

AND... since we all know what pistol grip stocks are designed for, please take extra care that she doesn't turn her new 10/22 into a fire-from-the-hip bullet hose.
    “As long as we allow an individual right to trump public safety, families are going to lose their loved ones…"
    - Kristin Comer, Executive Director, Washington CeaseFire

probably just looks out of proportion with the shortened forearm and stock length - it fits her hand well.
    Tom

"E" got to try her new stock today, and I think she took to it pretty well. One magazine's worth when I could get her to slow down (shot from rest):

There were lots of kids at the range today, which I love to see - one girl even came over to try it out.

We've stripped everything down and it's time for paint. She decided to go with a transparent purple (Krylon X-Metal) over a silver base coat. We experimented a little bit on the original cut-down stock last night:

Depending on the number of coats, the purple can be light or dark - we'll see what we end up with. I'm thinking two coats of purple, and then wet sand, followed by two more coats and then top it off with lots of clear coat. "E" has a hard time with the spray can, so she gets to do the silver metallic base coat and then the clear; I'll spray the purple (else it might end up a little blotchy).

I'm going to swap out the hard plastic buttplate for a rubber one for the time being, she said on the drive home her shoulder was starting to hurt a little bit. Could be a combination of the flat buttplate, or how hard she pulls the stock into her shoulder (I doubt the recoil is bothering her that much).

A huge thank you to RFC member Hipshot - "E" is a happy little camper
    Tom

PERFECT color!
    The Davey Crickett is soon to be that shade of purple as soon as I can get to the store this week!
    Excellent!
    Everybody spread love

Very nice work - to parents and kids.

I've got my daughter smiling when I let her have her rifle, but at 6 months, even I agree that she's too young. A couple years, I can't wait!
    Molon Labe
    <><