Thread: Would this be a good spotting scope tripod?

Would this be a good spotting scope tripod?

Guys,

Take a look at this:
    http://www.47stphoto.com/item.asp?in...catky2=7953410

I don't want or need a $200 super tripod. Just want to know if yall think this will be sturdy enough.

Mark
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

I bought a Cullman tripod set many years ago that had four or five different ways to hold a camera. Suction cup, clamp selftapping screw, minitripod and etc. That was the best and most versatile tripod I have ever seen.
    For an expensive spotting scope I wouldn't go too light weight. The spread of the legs looks good. for $30 I'd give it a try.

I have one of those in my camera bag for "emergency" purposes. It works well for times I don't have a real tripod. Haven't thought of trying it with the spotting scope. For a small lightweight scope it should be OK. The Ball head will probably make it hard to adjust, but recognize that going in.

Robert

Yes it will work but there are better choices for just a little more money. (as already said, without the adjusting arm it will be difficult to use.)
    Dallas Jack

An excellent mini tripod for the money is the Velbon Deluxe Mini. I use an 80mm Burris Landmark spotter and this one fits in my case. It folds up to about the same length and diameter as the scope and works great for a benchtop tripod with a good deal of adjustment range. I am very satisfied with it.
    "There is no lie too grotesque, too stupid, or too base for leftist extremists to retell." -- Standing Wolf

Posted from my Ubuntu machine.

You should consider that it's pretty dang short, not even 5" tall. IMO, it wouldn't be good for a spotting scope, I'd rather use a full-size camera tripod, and set it up next to the bench, not on it. But that's just me.

I'm going to be the dissenting vote here and say that that looks like a good buy. Nice wide base and a Manfrotto head... what more could you ask for in a tabletop/prone tripod? If I ever need to replace one of my compact tripods, that looks like a sturdy option.
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final.