Thread: Lakefield Arms?

Lakefield Arms?

I recently acquired my girlfriends old .22 semi-auto rifle and I was wondering if anyone could give me a roundabout age on it.

The markings read "Manufactured by Lake Field Arms LTD, Imported by Savage Arms INC." Model 954L.S. (Serial number L160XXX)

It is in darn good shape, the bore is very shiny and the rifling is completely intact. It couldn't possibly be too old but it has seen some years for sure. Just wondering if anyone would possibly know an estimated year of production. I can't find any literature online for it that would guess on year of production.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

"Except for ending slavery, Fascism, Nazism, and Communism, war has never solved anything."

Lakefield Arms, now called Savage Arms of Lakefield, Ontario, Canada. Bist I can determine your rifle is from the early 1990's maybe late 1980s

Ok... that would probably fit... Like I said, it isn't really old but it has been around for a few years... Thanks for the help.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

"Except for ending slavery, Fascism, Nazism, and Communism, war has never solved anything."

I'd be very surprised if you could find any manufacturing date data for Lakefields. They're low end, but serviceable, .22's just like low end Marlins. Seems to me Cooey owned the Lakefield plant before Winchester took Cooey over. A Savage Model 64 is identical to the Cooey Model 64 I've had for a very long time.

Ske1etor,

I received the following in an email to the webmaster address.

I came across this posting looking for information. Please let him know that the firearm was produced in May of 1995. I am not a member of your website but thought he might want to know.

Barry Galloway
    Savage Arms Canada
    "[The 2nd Amendment's] free exercise is the antithesis of serfdom and the only meaningful form of holocaust insurance known to man." -- Gus Cotey, Jr.
    NRA, SAF, and JPFO Life Member. USCCA annual member.
    Public Relations Coordinator, Connecticut Citizens Defense League, Inc.

Just wanted to post my experiences with the Lakefield 64.

I bought it in 1991 after moving to rural paradise. This included a huge pay cut, making about a third of my former salary. I needed a .22 LR for varmint control. Went to K Mart. They had the Ruger 10/22 that I wanted, but it was about $30 more than the Lakefield. Since I was SO broke, I went with the Lakefield strictly on price.

At first, I had quite a few FTF and FTE. Was disappointed. The first time I used it "for real", I had a rabid raccoon in the front yard. After the first shot from 8 yards, it jammed. Oh S*** !. Fortunately, I had hit him head on thru the eye, and he dropped like a rock. Put another couple hundred rounds thru it and problems decreased.

Somewhere along the line, I lost the owner's manual. I could not figure out how to disassemble the bolt. Never saw or heard about another Lakefield. Recently, thanks to the internet, I found out that this is the same gun as the Savage 64, and I obtained a manual. After over 15 years, I cleaned it thoroughly, and it is still in excellent shape. No more jams.

I shoot this rifle better than anything else I own. I now have two 10/22s and several other rifles. The Lakefield is still the gun that is kept by the kitchen door. A month ago I had a raccoon running away with a duck in his mouth. Thanks to this gun, the duck is fine and that raccoon is no longer a problem. I'm 57 years old now and the eyesight is getting worse, but these classic iron sights work like a charm for me, daytime or nighttime.

This is a true example of getting more than you paid for. Kuddos to the Lakefield plant employees and management.