Thread: I stole a gun today! Another Walther P88!

Talking I stole a gun today! Another Walther P88!

OK so I didn't literally steal a gun, however I almost feel like I did! As some may remember a few weeks ago I walked into my local gun shop and stumbled upon a immaculate Walther P88 for $850 (see thread below).
    http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=404712

Well today I walked into that same shop and found an even more immaculate P88 for $625!!!!!

In comparison to the first P88 I bought which I would rate at a condition of 7/10, this one is an easy 9.5/10! The serial number is extremely low 0021** but unfortunately it didn't come with anything but a 15rd mag.

Now the big debate, should I keep both or try and sell one? I was thinking two would be nice but then again I'm probably never going to loose money on either one so maybe I should just keep both. Any thoughts?

I finally got around to taking some pics, here she is....

Here are my two P88's together....
    Last edited by nwilliams; January 16th, 2009 at 05:45 AM. Reason: added pics
    “Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” Jon Stewart from Oprah interview, Sept 2010.

What is this "Sell" of which you speak?

Shoot the first one, and keep the nicer one minty.
    Eloi-- Tastes Like Chicken

Shoot the first one, and keep the nicer one minty.
    That's kinda the direction I'm leaning. I'm not big on safe queens but I may make an exception in this case.
    “Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” Jon Stewart from Oprah interview, Sept 2010.

I agree! Shoot the 7/10 and keep the 9.5/10 in the safe. Of course that dosen't mean you can't take the minty gun out once a year or so and shoot it! Just my two cents and worth every penny.
    Old Shipfitters never die! They just smell like it!: I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it! NRA Life Member.

In all probability they will continue to appreciate in value. So, the prudent thing to do would be to keep the one in the best condition in that condition and use the other one. Then if at some future date you decide to sell (the better one) you should get better money. Especially since you paid less for it ...

The ONLY thing certain in life is DEATH. Live each day to its' FULLEST!

Damn. Where are all the P-88s coming from in your neck of the woods? I almost never see them in the assorted places I live, and never at those prices.

Sweet. I vote for shooting them both. As often as you can.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts
    -The Maseo

i would say keep them both. you have two different variations of the the p88. you can always sell one later if you need or want to.
    if God hadn't meant us to shoot he wouldn't have given us trigger fingers

do the interns get glocks ?

Two variations??? What are the differences? Nice guns and great deals!!!

Two variations??? What are the differences? Nice guns and great deals!!!
    Sorry I fthe section below over at THR.org and forgot to add to the thread I have running here. This is what lechiffre is referring to....

Interestingly the new P88 has a few differences over my first one. The one with the earlier serial number (the one I got today) has an adjustable front sight and the rear sight is much taller than on my other P88. Also my first P88 has a groove down the length of the slide whereas my new P88 does not (see pic 1). Also the trigger bar (I think that's what it's called) on the right side of the gun is shaped differently and the one on my first P88 is longer (see pic 2).

My new P88 is the bottom one

My new P88 is the bottom one

Okay, now I can see the difference. I wonder when that was changed? I bought one today with a 0042** serial number and it is has the modifications. Any idea how to determine the manufacture date on the P88?

there is a two letter date code just above where the trigger guard meets the frame on the starboard side. the earlier model (the one with the dovetailed front sight) is less common. i am not sure,but i think the change was made after only a year or two.

date code:

A=0
    B=1
    C=2
    D=3
    E=4
    F=5
    G=6
    H=7
    I=8
    K=9

for more information try the walther forums

http://www.waltherforums.com/

the reference that i have "walther pistols model 1 through p99" by dieter marschall states that the old slide was made from from 1/87 - 12/87.

According to the date code listed by lechiffre above the dates indicate my lower serial numbered P88 (00255*) was made in 1988(II) and my higher serial numbered P88 (00885*) was made in 1990(KA). Most of the sources I looked at indicated that the P88 was produced between 1988 and 1996 so they must not have waited long to make the changes.

It’s all about stooling a gun and then we can change its features and compare it with other guns. Significance of case study writing help is that it can do the case of plagiarism when we can do copy right activity.