Thread: Indianapolis Star article could use a smackdown

Indianapolis Star article could use a smackdown

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...1291/OPINION08

The usual "blood will run in the streets" if we allow law abiding adults, properly licensed to carry handguns, to actually do so on campus.

My response (limited to 1000 characters so I had to be relatively brief):

Every time someone suggests expanding the right to carry, there are always predictions of death, destruction, and blood running in the streets. The anti-gun folk always predict it. And they are always wrong. It keeps not happening.

Allowing law-abiding citizens to own and carry guns for the protection of themselves and others just does not lead to greater violence and bloodshed.

We do know, however, that mass shootings happen almost always at "gun free" zones. Out of 15 mass shootings since 1966, 9 of them were in "gun free" zones, 4 were in "guns extremely unlikely" zones, and only two were in "guns permitted" locations--and those two were in circumstances where the shooters were able to assess whether they would meet any resistance or not. In those shootings 157 people died in places where law abiding citizens in general could not carry guns for self defense. Only 18 where people could defend themselves.

"Gun free zones" don't work.

Indiana is blessed with some great gun laws, and the Indy star just plain sucks (I refuse to read it unless there is no other form of news).
    A pistol isn't a weapon, its a tool designed to get you back to the weapon you should have been carrying in the first place.

Indiana is blessed with some great gun laws, and the Indy star just plain sucks (I refuse to read it unless there is no other form of news).
    You are certainly correct.
    Hopefully the Indy(Red)Star will shortly be defunct.

Which is sad, I grew up in Indy and the Star was always rock solid conservative. Did the Pulliam family sell it or die off ??

The Chicago Tribune used to be the same way. Now they are like NY Times Midwest Edition. They filed for bankrupcty protection a few weeks ago...... You'd think they'd figured out why ??
    "They're going to legislate us to Heaven, whether we want to go or not." - My Dad

Everyone is someone else's whack-job.

Perserverance is a virtue, unless you're an idiot.- Wes Janson

Which is sad, I grew up in Indy and the Star was always rock solid conservative. Did the Pulliam family sell it or die off ??
    Here is your answer scout.The Star is now owned by Gannett,not exactly the most conservative outfit in this here USA.:

http://www.mondotimes.com/1/world/us/14/855/2174

The Indy Star tried to hold out from the large companies as long as they could. I had a teacher who occaisiaonally wrote their before gannett bought them but quite after.
    Considering how often the question of "which .22lr is best?" gets asked, I figured I'd put my answer in the sig line. CZech 'em out.
    The science of "knockdown power": Thar be dragons!
    Whatever happened to deck guns?

Their impending demise warms the cockles of my heart.

The Scar and Spews has shrunk down their paper so much that it looks like a grocery insert and feels about as thin and slick as institutional toilet paper. It's finally beginning to look as bad as it's content. The lack wits have already cut back on the sections everyone looks at, classifieds and comics to the point the classifieds are a small section of either fraudulent used car ads or politically correct listings. What few comics they chose are biased and of little interest though a smattering of good ones remain.

I get my news online. I get it from individuals I trust. I get my comics direct from the artist. I pay them however they need to be paid. It's cheaper than supporting the evil that has always been a newspaper. I get my classifieds here and on other gun boards.
    Last edited by mrmeval; January 18th, 2009 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Added some wit to the end.
    "More handguns in the District of Columbia will only lead to more handgun violence." Washington Mayor Adrian Fenty.
    YES! But now it's citizens SHOOTING BACK!
    --mrmeval

Not 'Anti-Gun', but instead.......

I have made a conscious effort to not call the opposition 'Anti-Gun'. Too many people have no connection to firearms, and are silly enough to believe the propaganda without looking into it.

I call them "Anti-Rights" zealots. That name conveys a whole different meaning, is entirely accurate, and can be used to shape the discussion in a profitable direction.

Small things can make a huge difference when public perception is involved.

?????????????

if you lived before WW2 it was a whole different life.schools with gun club supplying the guns.buying and walking out.if gun owners dont get off their a**s and get good leaders we all are going down.

Grew up in Indiana and my parents always, as far back as I can remember (1960's) took the Star. But when I was home recently, they had stopped subscribing for over a year and were taking two more local dailies from southern Indiana. When I wondered why, they talked about it's now-liberal bias. Hoorah for them voting with their feet!
    "In survival, you seize the high ground and set up a machine gun nest." Hardware on THR.us 1/7/10