Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modular and/or light-weight gun-safe.

Modular and/or light-weight gun-safe.

Somebody posted a picture once of a gun-safe that comes apart into pieces for easy moving from place to place, and also for getting into an apartment.

What was that company/safe called again?

Also, any other options on an easily movable safe so should I switch from apt to apt, or house to house, it will be easier to move the safe?

It needs to hold 7 rifles and 12 pistols min.

Zanotti Armor.

Here's their website:
    http://www.zanottiarmor.com/

Sometimes you can find them at gunshows for a little less than the usual price. The prices are not on the website, you have to request a brochure.
    Eloi-- Tastes Like Chicken

I understand your motivation based on your post, but isn't wanting to purchase a lightweight and easily movable safe is kind of like purchasing an easily submerged boat?

It's only easily movable when it's in pieces.
    Once it's together it's very solid and heavy.
    Eloi-- Tastes Like Chicken

I understand your motivation based on your post, but isn't wanting to purchase a lightweight and easily movable safe is kind of like purchasing an easily submerged boat?
    I was planning to bolt it to the floor.

Anybody know what these units run approx? Are they more expensive than most safes, or less, or about the same?

They don't have MSRP on their site nor do they seem to have a list of dealers.

I'll have to request a brochure or something as the downloadable brochure doesn't have prices either.

cheese,

A buddy and I bought our Zanotti's at the same time and received a little discount.

We both bought the 5' ZA-II's w/o drawers and the price after the discount was $1253 each. And all this after a 4-5 months of waiting.

All kinds of folks want these things.

I really dig mine.

that sounds reasonable. It took 4-5 months of waiting after you ordered it to receive it?

I guess if that's the case I should order now and plan on possibly calling to change the delivery address in a few months.

Yep, we waited that long after we ordered them.

And you have the right idea, order now if you're going to.

The fellow you'll talk to, Mark is his name I think, is real helpful with any questions you might have.

Just let him know about your shipping dilema. I don't think it'll be a problem

will do. I just need to figure out which model to order.

Are the drawers big enough to store handguns in? Also, are the interior of the drawers carpeted like the rest of the safe?

I know you said you got one without drawers, but perhaps you've seen one with them?

They list the drawer dimentions as 3" H x 22.5" W x 13" deep, but I don't know if they're lined.

Also, to get the sides and back carpeted like the shelves is extra. Seems like extra fluff. I have the bare walls and it's fine with me.

looks good.

Question for you John - I see the rifle racks are in tiers. How do you get a rifle out of the back tier or the second to back tier? Do the tiers open up somehow? Or is it just grabbing the rifle from the buttstock, angling it outwards and pulling it out? The holes look small, that's why I ask. it looks like rifles with longer barrels would have to go up front and only rifles with barrels 18" or less would go in back.

btw - what is that great looking long-range rifle with the fluted-barrel, bipod, and muzzle-brake front left?

cheese-man,

The tiers don't open up. It's the way you described... Shorter rifles slide into the rear positions, and longer ones go to the front. I angled the shorter ones to go in the back positions

This Zanotti is the first safe that I';ve owned and these tiers don't open up to accomodate barrel lengths.

I asked the dude at Zanotti, and he recommened the notch to get the longer barreled gun in the 5' safe.

The hoity-toity rig you asked about is an Anzio single shot 50 BMG. Sort of an entry level 50, and is the most intense firearm I own. An absolute car crash with the squeeze of a trigger

I used the "car crash" euphamism from another post somewhere from a Smith 500 shooter.

The BMG is much more apropos.

very cool. I will call them up and get the ball rolling on an order.

Dakota Safes are also modular. They're delivered in multiple boxes and assembled onsite with a socket and crescent wrench.

I just got my Dakota safe a few days ago. Got it a few days after I ordered it. It took a little longer to get it because I wanted the mechanical lock and not the electronic one. They had to uncrate one, install the lock, and box everything back up. Took an extra day or so.

Haven't gotten around to putting it up. Looks easy enough, though.

I'll post a full review when I finish getting it in place.

Yeah, and Dakota safe has a cool website.

Their product looks similar to my Winchester. I'll be checking them out when I need another.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.".......John F. Kennedy

Can anybody give me a compare and contrast of Zanotti vs Dakota safes?

I dont know much about safes, but that Dakota looks bad to the bone!! And you dont get a hernia tryin to unload or move it! My buddy got one from Gander Mtn (regular one piece safe) and it took 3 of us to get it off the back of his truck and into the garage.. I have no idea how we'd of gotten it up or down stairs, if needed.. They weigh a ton! (probably closer to 400lbs.+/-)
    Mick

I dont know much about safes, but that Dakota looks bad to the bone!! And you dont get a hernia tryin to unload or move it! My buddy got one from Gander Mtn (regular one piece safe) and it took 3 of us to get it off the back of his truck and into the garage.. I have no idea how we'd of gotten it up or down stairs, if needed.. They weigh a ton! (probably closer to 400lbs.+/-)
    Aside from ease of moving, this is also important to me (and why I mentioned "lightweight" in the subject). I recently suffered a herniated disk injury and despite epidurals, I still am quite literally in agony. Add to that new neurological symptoms (I literally cannot feel one of my legs as of a few days ago) and I'd like to minimize the risk of further back or other injury.

The Dakota safe comes shipped on a pallet with four boxes on it. The top three boxes are about 120 pounds each, the bottom one is about 200 pounds.

The three lighter boxes hold the sides and bottom panels and all the drywall panels. I didn't find the panels too difficult to move once they were out of the box.

The heaviest box contains the door. That one is pretty heavy. Use a dolly to move it around if you can, or get someone to help you.

I do appreciate the lighter weight to move this thing, compared to the 600 pound safe I got a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley8 View Post
    The Dakota safe comes shipped on a pallet with four boxes on it. The top three boxes are about 120 pounds each, the bottom one is about 200 pounds.

I do appreciate the lighter weight to move this thing, compared to the 600 pound safe I got a couple of years ago.
    That's what I'm thinking. Mine was also 600 lbs, and I remember all too well the fun we had getting it into the house. Definitely Dakota for me next!
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.".......John F. Kennedy

It took me a couple of hours to put the panels in place and torque down all 44 of the bolts. It would have been a lot quicker, but my socket wrench has a large diameter head, and the clearance of the bolts to the sides of the safe were too small so I had to do it all with crescent wrenches. Of course, now that I'm typing this here, I could have used a universal joint adapter on the socket wrench. D'oh!

Also, there is a gap between all the panels. It's very small, but you can see light through them. I bring this up because your typical welded safe is nearly air tight and you can put a dessicator in them and it will keep humidity real low. You can do the same with this safe, but I imagine you'll end up recharging your dessicant more often. I'm thinking about running a small bead of caulk on those gaps to fill them.

And I discovered one advantage of this safe design. The floor I'm putting this on is vinyl-tile covered concrete and it's not entirely level. The panels on this safe allow for some shifting during assembly so that it conforms to the contour of the floor, spreading the weight more evenly.