Thread: Trying to gather information for anti-AWB site and letters

Trying to gather information for anti-AWB site and letters

After the recent shooting it is starting to feel like the early 90s again. I'm trying to locate all accurate data and statistics on gun crimes relating to the last and purposed AWBs. I have some data and thoughts already but thought I would also ask here is anyone has good links. Specifically I need.

Data on number of shots fired in shootings. This is to debunk the information the media is using about the number of murders with AWs. One shot from a gun with a magazine capacity of 11 is surely included in the statistics. How many murders would a 10 round limit possibly effect. 10 round limit won't save lives. and The so called data against them is misleading.

Data on how many states allow deer hunting with a .223 or 9mm. Most "assault weapons" aren't even powerful enough to hunt deer

Any good research that shows Japan didn't invade the US during WW2 because of the 2nd. I know the emperor mentioned something that the US would have a rifle behind every blade of grass. We didn't have much of a Pacific fleet right after Peril Harbor. The 2nd was instrumental in our last war.

And any other good ideas.

For my other thoughts, here is a letter I sent recently.

I wanted to voice my concern about your support of an assault weapons ban. I believe these laws to be unneeded, unfair, unconstitutional, and will only cause great opposition to you and your party.

My reasoning is too in depth to be completely covered here, but I would like voice a few concerns. One is that outlawing weapons due to cosmetic and some functional similarities to military weapons may sound good at the surface. It isn't called for or needed. They are used in crimes, according to FBI data, the least. The real concern is that using any argument that they are "military like" opens the debate to what that is as almost every firearm has military use, or at least history, right down to the rifle I use to hunt deer with. If military like scrutiny is used it might very well be a sniper rifle. Also note the military chooses firearm under much the same criteria as citizens. Those criteria are reliable, accurate, ergonomic, and ease of use.

My biggest constitutional concern for my rights, is considering more than 10 rounds to be an assault weapon. I believe that this would not hold up to scrutiny of the courts. According to the SCOTUS decision I have a right to self defence even with the most commonly used guns for murder, the handgun. While you may see a very slight drop in homicide limiting guns to 10 rounds, statistics show it would be a minuscule drop. But at a cost of limiting my defence to 10 shots, and setting a precedence to limit it to any number deemed appropriate in the future. If 10 why not a single one?

Please consider my views in your future policy decisions and understand I feel very strongly about this matter. Please prove the NRA wrong and help unite the country to deal with our real problems.
    I forgot to mention in the letter that the recent 2007 AWB bill was a thinly veiled attempt to ban all semiautomatics.

I plan to rewrite this with more comprehensive data and hopefully set up a website so I can run some adds and fliers to increase public awareness. Maybe get some chain emails going too.

I know I'm preaching to the choir so to speak at this point, but there are only three reasons to support the AWB.
    1) Ignorance
    2) Incremental step to a complete gun ban
    3) The only people this protects is the government.
    Isn't covertly trying to disarm your enemy usually considered an act of war? (Might want to leave that out of the letters, for now)

Cory

right on keep it up I'd help if i could.

I don't know where you would find any of those statistics but I hope there is someone who can help, I'd like to see them as well and will continue to watch this post for them.

P.S. the chain emails sound good if you do start one my email is mattp90@gmail.com

Any good research that shows Japan didn't invade the US during WW2 because of the 2nd. I know the emperor mentioned something that the US would have a rifle behind every blade of grass. We didn't have much of a Pacific fleet right after Peril Harbor. The 2nd was instrumental in our last war.
    Not the Emperor, but Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto: "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

Not the Emperor, but Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto: "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."
    Can you put this in a context? If it was in response to a question about invasion of the US that would be perfect.

I wish I could. All I've ever been able to find is the isolated quote.