Thread: ALERT! Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 - H.R. 45

ALERT! Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 - H.R. 45

Easiest way to contact National elected officials is at the NRA article link below, click on the "Write Your Reps" at the top right of the article. http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=4329

Here's the condensed version of the bill:
    It will make it illegal to own a firearm unless it is registered with the database in Washington D.C., which requires being finger printed, providing DL#, SS#, maintain a valid address at all times, submit mental and physical health records, file any address changes and ownership changes even if private sale. Each update will cost $25 and if you fail to comply you will lose your right to own firearms.

Details of the bill at Congress.org: http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...5&congress=111

Congressional Legislation
    'To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes. '
    Bill # H.R.45

Original Sponsor:
    Bobby Rush (D-IL 1st)

About This Legislation:

1/6/2009--Introduced.
    Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 - Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to prohibit a person from possessing a firearm unless that person has been issued a firearm license under this Act or a state system certified under this Act and such license has not been invalidated or revoked. Prescribes license application, issuance, and renewal requirements.
    Prohibits transferring or receiving a qualifying firearm unless the recipient presents a valid firearms license, the license is verified, and the dealer records a tracking authorization number. Prescribes firearms transfer reporting and record keeping requirements. Directs the Attorney General to establish and maintain a federal record of sale system.
    Prohibits: (1) transferring a firearm to any person other than a licensee, unless the transfer is processed through a licensed dealer in accordance with national instant criminal background check system requirements, with exceptions; (2) a licensed manufacturer or dealer from failing to comply with reporting and record keeping requirements of this Act; (3) failing to report the loss or theft of the firearm to the Attorney General within 72 hours; (4) failing to report to the Attorney General an address change within 60 days; or (5) keeping a loaded firearm, or an unloaded firearm and ammunition for the firearm, knowingly or recklessly disregarding the risk that a child is capable of gaining access, if a child uses the firearm and causes death or serious bodily injury.
    Prescribes criminal penalties for violations of firearms provisions covered by this Act.
    Directs the Attorney General to: (1) establish and maintain a firearm injury information clearinghouse; (2) conduct continuing studies and investigations of firearm-related deaths and injuries; and (3) collect and maintain current production and sales figures of each licensed manufacturer.
    Authorizes the Attorney General to certify state firearm licensing or record of sale systems.

I got a canned reply to my canned letter. I suppose it's better than nothing because Sen. Martinez at least opened the email and pasted his 'Gun Control Answer' answer and sent me a reply

Quote Originally Posted by Senator Martinez
    Thank you for contacting me regarding gun violence. I appreciate hearing from you and would like to respond to your concerns.

Gun violence is an unfortunate criminal activity that continues to exist in our society. It is important that we remain vigilant in our coordinated efforts with federal, state, and local officials to curb the incidences of these crimes in our communities. I recognize that America, however, is deeply divided over how to best accomplish this goal.

When our Founding Fathers drafted the Constitution, they included the Second Amendment to guarantee law-abiding citizens the right to keep and bear arms. This freedom is a fundamental part of our American identity.

There are a number of procedures and regulations in place to restrict those who would potentially abuse this right from purchasing or owning a gun. However, because criminals obtain guns outside of these procedures and regulations, placing further restrictions on law-abiding gun owners is unlikely to be effective. Please rest assured I will work with my Senate colleagues to provide law enforcement officials with the tools they need to prevent these tragic acts of violence and to ensure that effective punishments are in place to deter future criminals.

As the Senate considers gun rights issues in the 111th Congress, please know I will keep your thoughtful comments in mind. Again, thank you for sharing your views with me. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. In addition, for more information about issues and activities important to Florida, please sign up for my weekly newsletter at http://martinez.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Mel Martinez
    United States Senator

This is Canadian style registration, I moved to the US from Canada to get away from that stuff.. its poison and a waste of tax payers money...

Holt introduced the same bill back in 2007 and it went nowhere. This time there are no real number of co-sponsors and like 2007, it will die in committee.

Bobby Rush, the "original sponsor" was one of the founding members of the Black Panthers. And if you do a search on Holt, you will find out why he is pushing this bill.

While Congress is certainly going to pass anti-gun legislation that goes far beyond the Klinton gun ban, there are far more pressing issues facing them and that will take up a lot of their time and energy.

This particular bill is not going to fit within the agenda that Piglosi, Feintwit, Reid, Schumer, Kennedy, and others have for taking away our rights under the 2nd Amendment.

So should we worry about this bill? In a word Yes, but my take is that H.R.45 will simply go away and die.
    George S.
    Ruger fan but master of none

George,
    True, but let's not forget to be vigilant, it's easier to stop this crap in committee that in the main chamber.
    Still no co-sponsors.
    “The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

This particular bill is not going to fit within the agenda that Piglosi, Feintwit, Reid, Schumer, Kennedy, and others have for taking away our rights under the 2nd Amendment.
    As much as I dislike Reid for other reasons, his record on gun rights is pretty good and he has a solid A rating from the NRA.

If this did pass the ******* that was responsible for the bill would be committing political suicide. He would so enrage every gun owner or potential gun owner that he would no longer be able to remain in office. This guy is an idiot for even considering such a bill if indeed he has done so.

This particular *** **** is not committing political suicide because he represents *** ****s in his congressional district that are just as uninformed and misguided as he is. If that were not the case, this *** ****, who spent some time in the slammer for weapons violations, would not be representing the *** ****s in Chicago that sent him to Washington in the first place.

WELCOME TO CANADA!!!! We've been fighting registration for 8 years now..

Finally, there is a private members bill (bill c-301) that is gather alot of support in order to illiminate the long gun registration database.

Hopefully under the 10th amendment not all states will comply. All I can say to you guys is Write to your senators, governers you name it, email letters etc. The more you express your concern over a bull**** bill, the less likely it is to pass.

On top of that there are approximatley 30 million gun owners in USA, thats pretty much the entire population of canada right there! You guys can make a difference, and for gods sake don't just sit there and hope that it doesn't happen.
    1911/TT-33/M14 Disassembly videos
    -Quote Deckard- Listen. And understand. That Liberal is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse - only fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until your guns are gone.

Just how in the does anyone believe that the Federal government could keep track of 250 million privately held guns in this county when the Department of Defense looses 87,000 out of 242,000 weapons.

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/conten...x?RsrcID=43712

I won't even address complicance.

The canoe sank.

I got a canned reply to my canned letter. I suppose it's better than nothing because Sen. Martinez at least opened the email and pasted his 'Gun Control Answer' answer and sent me a reply.
    The response you got does appear to be a "form letter" of sorts. Just by reading the letter, however, I don't interpret it as a "gun control" answer:

There are a number of procedures and regulations in place to restrict those who would potentially abuse this right from purchasing or owning a gun. However, because criminals obtain guns outside of these procedures and regulations, placing further restrictions on law-abiding gun owners is unlikely to be effective. Please rest assured I will work with my Senate colleagues to provide law enforcement officials with the tools they need to prevent these tragic acts of violence and to ensure that effective punishments are in place to deter future criminals.
    It sounds more like the type of response we should support, based on the above. I guess the determining factor would rest with his voting record. How is that?
    This space for rent.