Thread: Marlin Model 39 manual

Question Marlin Model 39 manual

I'd been looking not too earnestly for a lever action 22. Appears that one is very limited to Henry or Marlin for that classic look and ocassionally a Winchester would be available to look at. I was at a local gunsmith's to have a problem with a Colt 1911 taken care of and asked him if he had any knowledge of lever action .22's available for sale. He said he happened to have a Marlin model 39 ( not 39 A or any other suffix his emphasis to me) and would I like to look at it. He took it out of his gun safe and said he knew the owner quite well and that he personally fired it and it was very accurate. He was asking $300 including a scope. The rifle is in good (my evaluation)condition, bluing is mostly gone from the barrel, but the wood is outstanding, with a checkered stock. Action is very good and overall very clean and seemingly well maintained. It doesn't have an owners manual. Does anyone have a copy that can they can send to my e-mail address? Thanks in advance.

The actual 39 model was made from 1922 to 1938.
    Be aware that the early versions of this ARE NOT safe to use with modern .22LR ammo.
    If the serial number has an "HS" (High Speed) prefix it was made for modern ammo and you can shoot it.

Guns with no serial prefix at all or an "S" prefix were noted for their high quality and are worth more, but shouldn't be shot.
    The stocks were not originally checkered, so its not in original condition.

You can get an online current manual on the Marlin web site:

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Custom...rt/manuals.asp

Thanks for the reply - is the manual online which is for the 39A applicable to the model 39?

The stock was checkered by the original owner so it is not original fom the factory but is the original stock that had some beautiful woodwork done to it by an excellent craftsman.

If it is indeed a 39 and not a 39A, I'd take that deal right away.

I'd be interested in how the scope was attached, as I don't believe the 39s were drilled and tapped from the factory. The D&T and checkering is what might be reducing the sale price.

The basic manual of arms and major parts have not changed since the gun was introduced (well over 100 years ago) so the current 39A instruction manual should be applicable. A more knowledgeable 39 Nut might correct me, but I think the magazine tube release might be slightly different, and I'm not sure the ejector is the same. It may or may not have a "high speed" bolt capable of firing modern High Velocity .22 LR ammunition.