Thread: Review: Para Ordnance Expert GI45 1911

Review: Para Ordnance Expert GI45 1911

ATTENTION! The new Expert GI45 1911 from Para Ordnance is the best 1911 on the market-- for the money, that is. Of course, I say this without any hint of hyperbole. We just received the first unit this afternoon, and let me tell you something, my friends: there is not a single gun on the market with as much intrinsic value. New models displayed at Shot Show are smooth as glass, but when the actual production models show up at dealers-- it's often a completely different animal. Not so with the new Para GI45 1911.

Out of the box, fit and finish are superb. The GI45's slide and frame glide against each another like two sticks of warm butter. The matte black finish is beautiful and contrasts perfectly with the brilliant stainless steel barrel. The Para Expert GI45 sports dovetail, three-dot sights that are quick and easy to acquire. The skeleton hammer and drilled trigger add a modern, semi-custom look. Trigger pull is crisp. However, all the rest of the features are standard mil-spec GI fare-- right down to the subdued black plastic grips. No fancy checkering on the frame, but for the price-- you don't expect a lot of custom features. This is a workhorse 1911, and the price cannot be beat: $453 dealer cost! The Para Ordnance Expert GI-45 ships in a hard case with two stainless 7rd magazines.

This one is sold (to me), but we should have more units on the way soon-- so stay tuned to the website for more inventory to arrive.

Click here for more info: http://www.onpointsupply.com/cart.ph...tegory_id=2917

Take care,

-- Evan "Haven't been this excited about a milspec 1911 since..." Kostreva

Looks like the Springer Mil-Spec has some competition. I have a Para LTC and it's a great gun so I wouldn't hesitate on this one if I needed another 5" 1911...
    Proud to be a veteran. (USAF retired)

When you lose your right to self-determination, through legislation or taxation, servitude is soon to follow - NGIB

Looks like a good gun, sites already done will save some dough.

Are these manufactured in Canada or somewhere else?
    Vae Victis

http://www.onpointsupply.com/cart.ph...tegory_id=2917

Why can't I see pricing?
    Make sure you're a member of our VIP Program and that you're logged in.
    What a waste of my time.

I quit looking at that web site as well when the VIP program was instituted...

When you lose your right to self-determination, through legislation or taxation, servitude is soon to follow - NGIB

Do we really allow this kind of blatant advertising on these forums?
    "[The 2nd Amendment's] free exercise is the antithesis of serfdom and the only meaningful form of holocaust insurance known to man." -- Gus Cotey, Jr.
    NRA, SAF, and JPFO Life Member. USCCA annual member.
    Public Relations Coordinator, Connecticut Citizens Defense League, Inc.

Having to join the VIP program to see the pricing is what makes this very tacky to me. At least I can log into Bud's and see the delivered prices...

Lets see:

Stainless barrel- check
    Sights I can actually see- check
    vertical cocking serrations- check

I may have to pick one of these up, especially if they make a stainless version.

One, question however:

Does it have the power extractor?
    Place holder until I think of something clever to say.

Anything like last Para I owned you better off with a flintlock
    Colt LTW Commander, Colt Defender, , Colt Mustang DW bobtail,1973 S&W Mod 49 ,PPK/S,Bersa 380

You must learn to be.....Slow in a Hurry Wyatt Earp 1849-1929

Lets see:

Stainless barrel- check
    Sights I can actually see- check
    vertical cocking serrations- check

I may have to pick one of these up, especially if they make a stainless version.

One, question however:

Does it have the power extractor?
    Ya know, I handled one at the S.H.O.T. Show, and now I don't remember if it has the Power Extractor or not. I think it does not. This is a real "back to basics" pistol for Para. It doesn't even use a ramped barrel, and Para has never before offered a pistol that didn't use a ramped barrel. This one also goes back to Para's earlier, classic, vertical cocking serrations, and to simple, functional, upright rear sights. Nothing fancy, just a basic 1911.

The hammer has to go, though.

The hammer has to go, though.
    Yeah, seems a bit strange to use a commander hammer on a GI/basic style 1911. Probably used it because they have them on hand, for their un-basic 1911s. I'd have to toss the trigger too. Cheatin' robbers I says, drilling holes through parts. I want my money's worth of metal when I buy things!
    "Finding any S&W N frame in decent condition for less than $400 should make you squeal like a little girl as you reach for your wallet." .41Dave

Personal prejudice:
    I reeeeeally don't like guns from a country that has half of its citizens looking down their nose at the US.

Therefore I do not purchase anything from them.

When there are so many good guns manufactured in the US, why not buy US?

Personal prejudice:
    I reeeeeally don't like guns from a country that has half of its citizens looking down their nose at the US.

Therefore I do not purchase anything from them.

When there are so many good guns manufactured in the US, why not buy US?
    I believe Para recently moved to the US after their founder's passing.

Well I tried to get a price, 2 whole salers I checked don't have them in yet.....

Sorry guys............MSRP of $599

and that hammer is naughty.....

Mailing address:

Para-Ordnance Mfg., Inc.
    980 Tapscott Road,
    Toronto, ON M1X 1C3
    Canada

Tony
    God bless those who gave us the Red, White and Blue
    http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/index.php
    Shoot league in Janesville WI

I wouldn't hit a dog in the a** with anything made by Para Ordnance. I owned one (para pistol), it was a complete failure as a firearm. A very pretty and expensive paperweight, but not a handgun. When they figure out that guns do not have plastic parts, should not require one to spend a weeks pay on ammo for "break in" and that customer service should sometimes help a customer, I might stop badmouthing them. But I won't own another even if it's given to me.
    I wish I believed in reincarnation. Where's Charles "The Hammer" Martel when you need him?

www.bagpipeforum.com
    yes, I play the bagpipes. No, I don't wear a skirt. It's called a kilt.

Some of the smartest people I've known were "dumb hillbillies".

Mailing address:

Para-Ordnance Mfg., Inc.
    980 Tapscott Road,
    Toronto, ON M1X 1C3
    Canada

This is from www.para-usa.com

Mailing Address
    1919 N.E. 45th Street,
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    33308-5136

Phone:
    (954) 202-4440

Fax:
    (416) 297-1289

I wouldn't hit a dog in the a** with anything made by Para Ordnance. I owned one (para pistol), it was a complete failure as a firearm. A very pretty and expensive paperweight, but not a handgun. When they figure out that guns do not have plastic parts, should not require one to spend a weeks pay on ammo for "break in" and that customer service should sometimes help a customer, I might stop badmouthing them. But I won't own another even if it's given to me.
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck with Para. I swear by the two I have and all of the others I have shot. I have not had the same luck with Colt however...

Para USA in Fl. is merely an import house. Maintenance/repair is done in Tn. by folks who think out of spec parts are O.K., manufacture is still done in Canada.

You know, maybe I did just get a lemon pistol. Crap happens. But when a bad item makes it through Q.C., a manufacturer should at least make an attempt to do right by the ones who spent money on it. Every malfunction I described (yes, there were multiple and consistent) was explained away as something i should expect with a "match" gun. Kinda like telling the guys on pit road "of course they won't start, they're finely tuned machines".
    I wish I believed in reincarnation. Where's Charles "The Hammer" Martel when you need him?

www.bagpipeforum.com
    yes, I play the bagpipes. No, I don't wear a skirt. It's called a kilt.

Some of the smartest people I've known were "dumb hillbillies".

Actually, I believe that Para has recently moved its entire operation to Charlotte, NC.

My only other comment would be that -- if you're gonna make a GI 1911, for gosh sakes use an arched mainspring housing, and as others note, a spur hammer and traditional trigger ...
    Will

Everything I know about cops, their respect for the citizens of this country and its Constitution, as well as the state of policing in this country ... I learned from the Internet.