Thread: Headspace Question

Headspace Question

Hi All: I purchased a new 1873 Uberti (Winchester) replica lever action rifle about 1 year ago. Ever since I purchased this rifle I have had nothing but problems with it. It is chambered in .357 caliber and every time I fire a .357 (factory) load thru it the small tab on the bottom of the bolt face breaks off rendering the rifle next to useless. This has happened 3 times so far and 3 times I have sent it back to the gunsmith I bought it from and he has replaced the bolt and sent it back to me claiming it is good to go.

Today after going to the range and breaking another tab off the front of the bolt face I cleaned the rifle and looked at it for the 10,000th time trying to figure out what is wrong with it. I noticed that when there is a round in the chamber with the bolt is closed and you raise or lower the muzzle, you can actually see the round moving forward and backward in the chamber. If you are familar with 1873 style rifles then you know you can get between the bolt face and rear of the shell and measure headspace with a feeler gauge. When I did this I came up with a .035" gap! Can I assume that this is way too much headspace for this rifle and if so, how can I correct it? Thanks in advance...............Rick H.

I would change gunsmiths. There are a number of 1873 clone labs in the CAS community. Coyote Cap and Cody Conager do good tuneups, they could probably handle repairs and rectification of factory flaws.
    http://www.coyotecap.com/uberti.htm
    http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

Have you talked to Uberti? It's actually Stoeger Industries. They're the distributor.
    http://www.uberti.com/customer_service/contact_us.php
    Your warranty is only for one year though. They'll want to know what ammo you use too.

No, I have not talked to Uberti, I figured that would be pointless seeing as though this rifle doesn't fall under any warranty due to the fact it has been altered from stock configuration. Rick

"...would be pointless..." Call 'em anyway. Parts breaking off from normal shooting means the rifle is defective.

I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work... walmartone

You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. seo check

Extremely intriguing online journal. A lot of web journals I see nowadays don't generally give anything that I'm keen on, however I'm most definitely inspired by this one. Recently felt that I would post and let you know. Onewheel Accessories

One present why galore businesses opt for postcards is because they are overmuch cheaper to be prefab and this can forbear a lot of expenses on the lengthened run. Ottawa Rims

Buy Clenbuterol 40mcg

Buy Pharmacy grade drugs to boost stamina and enhance performance. Buy HGH, mens sexual health products, weight loss remedy, EPO and Clenbuterol Buy Online. Buy Clenbuterol 40mcg

advxcvef

Simple Empathy is a collaborative wellness space that provides mental health psychotherapy, acupuncture, Chinese Medicine, massage & reiki. We work together with all modalities to help heal what ails you from the inside out. Acupuncturist

Kamagra apteka

We have been selling potency drugs continuously since 2008. We are familiar with this industry not only from the side of the trends prevailing on the market, but above all from the biochemical and pharmaceutical side. Kamagra apteka