Thread: Maryland - MSI Action Alert - 2-03-09

Maryland - MSI Action Alert - 2-03-09

Immediate Action Needed

We have two companion bills that need the immediate action of everyone in our community.

Maryland's criminal code currently protects homeowners who must defend their family in the event of a burglary, violent assault or home invasion. This is the concept commonly referred to as the castle doctrine.

Imagine being spared a criminal trial only to be sued by the criminal or his family for damages. That's right, Maryland civil law provides no protection from being sued out of the very home that you were defending.

We are trying to change that but need your immediate help to ensure passage of this important piece of legislation.

As you may know HB1060, commonly referred to as the Civil Immunity bill, was passed 135-0 last year in the House of Delegates and would have given protection from the outrageous lawsuits that we outlined above.

Once the bill travelled across to the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee, it was given a "desk drawer veto" by the chairman of the committee, Senator Brian Frosh (D - District 16, Montgomery County). In other words, he unilaterally subverted the will of the entire House of Delegates and refused to allow the bill to even be heard in his committee.

Any rational person would have to question how one man can allow his personal ideology to stop a piece of legislation that enjoyed universal bipartisan support from the House.

The two bills that we are strongly supporting are HB332 and SB420.

Here's what we need you to do:

1. Action on HB332 in the House of Delegates
    •Contact the following members of the House Judiciary Committee who are not already sponsors of the bill and ask for their affirmative vote on HB 332, Delegate Frank's Civil Immunity Bill. Remind them that they voted for it last year and that it passed unanimously on the floor.

Samuel I. Rosenberg
    Curtis S. (Curt) Anderson
    Benjamin S. Barnes
    Jill P. Carter
    Kathleen M. Dumais
    J. B. Jennings
    Susan C. Lee
    Gerron S. Levi
    Victor R. Ramirez
    Luiz R. S. Simmons
    Kriselda Valderrama
    Jeffrey D. Waldstreicher

•Delegates Frank, Conaway, Dwyer, Kelly, Kramer, McComas, McConkey, Schuler, Shank and Smigiel are the members of the committee who are already sponsors so no need to contact them to ask for their support. You can thank them though.

•Contact your delegates from your district and ask them to vote for HB 332, Delegate Frank's Civil Immunity Bill. Remind them that the bill was passed unanimously last year and that you respectfully request their affirmative vote again this year.

TOOLS TO ASSIST YOU (thanks to our friends at MDShooters.com):
    Quick email tool (thanks to MSI Executive Member Jim S.)
    Find your delegate
    Pre-formatted mailing labels for the House Judiciary Committee
    How to create mail merge letters using pre-formatted labels

2. Action on SB420 in the Senate
    •Contact the following members of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee who are not yet sponsors of SB420, the Civil Immunity bill, and ask for their affirmative vote. Remind them that it passed the House last year unanimously with 135-0 vote. Remind them that it was Chairman Frosh who single-handedly circumvented the legislative process by refusing to allow this bill to be heard.

Lisa A. Gladden
    James Brochin
    Jennie M. Forehand
    Jamin B. (Jamie) Raskin

•Contact the chairman of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee, Brian Frosh and express your desire to see a hearing and a vote on SB420, the Civil Immunity bill, sponsored by Senator Jacobs and 20 other members of the Senate. Remind him that it passed unanimously in the House last year and that a majority of his committee members are co-sponsors of SB420

Senator Brian Frosh
    Miller Senate Office Building, 2 East Wing
    11 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401
    (410) 841-3124, (301) 858-3124
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3124 (toll free)
    e-mail: brian.frosh@senate.state.md.us
    fax: (410) 841-3102, (301) 858-3102

TOOLS TO ASSIST YOU (thanks to our friends at MDShooters.com):
    Quick email tool (thanks to MSI Executive Member Jim S.)
    Find your delegate
    Pre-formatted mailing labels for the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committe
    How to create mail merge letters using pre-formatted labels

Maryland Shall Issue.org
    P.O. Box 314
    Libertytown, MD
    21762-0314
    ph. 240-446-6782

Mission Statement
    "Maryland Shall Issue is an all volunteer, non-partisan effort dedicated to the preservation and advancement of all gunowners' rights in Maryland, with a primary goal of CCW reform to allow all law-abiding citizens the right to carry a concealed weapon; and to the education of the community to the awareness that 'shall issue' laws have, in all cases, resulted in decreased rates of violent crime."

posted on .org, thanks for posting here.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

Any chance of a shall-issue bill being introduced? Or is it just going to get litigated?

-Lonnie
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Hang on about 15 minutes and you'll see

Here's what I believe:

After the Nordyke case is decided and it goes our way (this is in the 9th Circuit), someone should apply to the MDSP, get denied, and then sue. The 4th Circuit would have some sister precedent to apply the 2nd amendment to the state of Maryland, and either order the license issued, or strike down the carry ban entirely.

This *should* be a threat used against the folks who are holding up the shall-issue bill. If they don't legalize it, a federal appeals court will.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. - J.R.R.Tolkien

I think that most people realize that it will come down to a court case since the MD General Assembly collectively has their heads rectally inverted when it comes to this stuff.

The threat of a lawsuit will definitely be one of the things that I mention in my materials.