Thread: Calhoun county Michigan, attack on our rights.

Calhoun county Michigan, attack on our rights.

If you live in Calhoun county Michigan or nearby like I do (I live over in Kalamazoo, yes there really is a Kalamazoo) help is needed. Since I am not the master of words, I will post an email alert from a local gun store.

Quote:

That is right! Your gun rights are under attack right here in Calhoun County Michigan and your presence as a law abiding gun owner is required on the front lines of this first skirmish in a long battle to erode your gun rights. I can think of no better place to stand our ground than right here at our local level.

On Thursday, February 5th, 2009, at 7:00 p.m. at the County Building at 315 West Green Street in Marshall, MI in the County Commissioners Chambers on the third floor, the following resolution will be voted on:

Calhoun County Commission

Agenda Item 12.A. (5) for 2/5/09

WHEREAS, present levels of gun violence in the United States are far higher than in nations which regulate gun purchases more stringently,

NOW, THEREFORE, the Calhoun County Board of Commissioners support:

(1) The renewal of the ban on sale or purchase of assault weapons (making the ban permanent); and

(2) The enactment of laws at all levels of government to make it harder for those with diminished mental capacity or criminal intent firearms either legally or illegally.

I believe their intention is for paragraph II to read like this:

(2) The enactment of laws at all levels of government to make it harder for those with diminished mental capacity or criminal intent, to acquire firearms either legally or illegally.

The term Assault weapons is not defined nor is diminished mental capacity. In other places where actual ordinances have been passed, diminished mental capacity has included something as inocuous as seeing a psychologist to help deal with depression following the death of a loved one.

While our County Board has no regulatory authority over firearms, I can tell you what the goal here is all about. The goal is to get every local governing body, presumably representative of the people, to vote to support a new, permanent assault weapons ban (remember the ban under President Bill Clinton which also limited the capacity of handguns to 10 rounds or less?). Only this time the ban will not sunset; it will be made permamnent. President Obama is a community organizer and he is first getting as many local bodies of government as possible to lend their support for an Assault Weapons ban as he can get. When he gets a strong majority, then he will get the ban passed and signed into law and claim that most Americans supported gun control and that it was the will of the people.

By passing this resolution, the Calhoun County Board of Commissioners is essentially saying that most of the residents of Calhoun County support gun control and a renewed permanent assault weapons ban. It is imperative that we be in attendance on Thursday at 7:00 p.m. with a strong show of force to demonstrate that we are adamantly opposed to this resolution and that the adoption of this resolution will have a severe negative impact on the re-election of anyone who votes for it. Now is the time to stand up and I ask you to stand with me on Thursday night to protect all of our rights!

If you absolutely cannot make it on Thursday night, here is a link to contact your County Commissioner by phone or by e-mail:

http://www.calhouncountymi.org/Depar...verviewBOC.htm

Make sure you are heard loud and clear!

Southside Sportsman Club
    Freedom Firearms

end quote:
    I guess I am just trying to get the word out.

Clerihew.

I'm way over in Macomb County (east side of the state) but would love to help in any way that I can. How can I help?
    I'm such an Operator that Gecko45 has a poster of me on his wall.

If there is anything I can do from Chippewa County let me know.
    I repeat - some people are just itching to get their panties in a wad about something. And this is why I normally stay out of Legal. <sigh>
    Don't think we are going to take your handguns from you, were just going to limit the number of rounds they will hold. orchidhunter

There is someone I know that is going to speak...he asked for me to be a "warm body showing my opposition to this happening". So not much you can do unless you wanted to stop out there at 7PM tomorrow. I just hope the stuff I have to do after work lets me get over there on time. Also we need to watch out for these in other areas. I am going to keep an eye on Kalamazoo County. Calhoun county tried to sneak it in quietly, they announced it tuesday and were going to vote thursday. What this might be is a way for the anti-gunners to say "look its the will of the people all these county boards across the nation are for a new assault weapon ban". So we have to try and stop as many as we can from doing anything like this.

Keep your ears to the ground

Clerihew

If you show up I will be in a brown aussie hat...feel free to say hi

Ahhh I work until 7 today actually, otherwise I'd see if my buddy Matt wanted to head over there with me in a show of support. I actually registered a Michigan pro carry site yesterday, so hopefully in the future it can be used to give advanced notice so we can support each other when the need arises. Good luck, let us know how it goes. If you can, video it.

What's the address for that Michigan Pro Carry site? I'm stationed in Cali, but maintain Michigan Residence.
    "There's nothing wrong with a little shooting, as long as the right people get shot." -Clint Eastwood (as Dirty Harry)

michigancarry.org
    However, I just registered the URL last night so the site isn't up yet, will probably be a week or so at least.

this is straight off the counties web site:

The Resolution Supporting Legislation to Lessen Gun Violence has been removed from the February 5, 2009 Agenda

so when will there next meeting be concerning the proposed legistion, cause i will be more than happy to spam them everyday
    Real Naval Gunners Hit Harder, and Penetrate Deeper, and just as accurate without Fire Control!

If there is advanced notice, I might be able to attend said meeting and probably bring a friend or two. Heck, we can probably even work on some sort of carpooling

Ok how the meeting went...uneventful. The first thing the counsil talked about before letting any civilian speak was that the agenda item in question had been removed from the agenda. Was a mistake that it was put on in the first place etc...

Here is the aftermath email from one of the guys that got the word out, amazing how fast we reacted and how many people showed up. They found out Tuesday morning at 11AM. The meeting was Thursday night at 7PM...not much time, sounds like it might be a tactic of the anti's to keep an eye on. Here is his email.

After putting out the call and several other organizations pulling together an emergency coordinated effort, over 263 people packed the Calhoun County Commissioners Chambers with over 60 people standing in the hallway because they could not fit into the chambers. This was after the media announced that the resolution supporting an assault weapons ban had been pulled from the agenda. Your support tonight and your stand for firearms freedoms was a monumental testimony. I can tell you without hesitation that my conversations with commissioners afterward demonstrated a whole new level of respect toward our voting block.

During Commissioner Comments, Commissioner Terris Todd (D) from District 2 expressed that had this resolution come to a vote, he would have absolutely opposed it. Commissioner Julie Camp (R) from District 5 also said she would have opposed it. The newly appointed Commissioner Lee (D) from District 7 said he would have opposed it. Commissioner Jim Haadsma (D) from District 3 and Chairman of the Calhoun County Democrat Party said he would have opposed it and offered to work with us on drafting a resolution for the county to pass in support of citizens rights to keep and bear arms and to oppose any additional restrictions or laws to the contrary.
    Commissioner Mike Rae (D) from District 4 took full responsibility for allowing this resolution to end up on the agenda in the first place. The County Commission issued a proclamation tonight recognizing the NAACP for its 100 years in existence and the positive work that they have done. In sending information regarding their organization, they also included this proposed resolution. Commissioner Rae admitted that he should have more carefully reviewed this information and never allowed this resolution to make it this far in the process.

As for the part of the NAACP of Albion, I have already begun discussions with an NRA Senior Training Counselor, a Black American, who along with Commissioner Terris Todd is going to make contact with the NAACP of Albion to educate them on the history of gun control and its roots in racism. It is our objective to offer as much information to this organization as possible and create an additional ally in our constant effort to protect our firearms freedoms.

Again, thank-you one and all for your time in attending the meeting and the 417 of you who signed petitions in time to get them to the meeting. There are additional petitions yet to be collected and we will get them all collected. You have made a huge difference tonight and you did it in a very short time frame. You reminded me of the minutemen in our War for Independence and our Founding Fathers would have been as proud of you as I was tonight. You are all Patriots!!

Keep your ears to the ground and watch for this to happen in other places.

Clerihew

We even made the news

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/a...WS01/902060318

No spin in either direction really...well in my opinion. Though they did make it seem like less people were there than actually were.

Clerihew

Very nice Clerihew. Is there some sort of mailing list your on that gives you these alerts? If so how can i get added to it?

Administrator   
    Well done!
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

Left hand side at the bottom of that column. Its about 1/2 way down the entire page. This is a gun store and shooting range in Battle Creek, the owners are very active in the community.

http://www.southsidesportsmanclub.com/

Clerihew

Very nice, signed up

"While our County Board has no regulatory authority over firearms, I can tell you what the goal here is all about. The goal is to get every local governing body, presumably representative of the people, to vote to support a new, permanent assault weapons ban (remember the ban under President Bill Clinton which also limited the capacity of handguns to 10 rounds or less?). Only this time the ban will not sunset; it will be made permamnent."

Quote from above--(post #1)

You better believe anygun restriction bill will never sunset (expire) again. The sun will rise and never set.