Thread: I've never owned a scope before...(advice)

I've never owned a scope before...(advice)

I'm going to buy a stevens .223 I'm rather excited about it. However i have hit a snag I need a scope for it and I've never picked up a scope in my life it startles me to pay a lot of money for something i don't understand. And being a teacher i can't afford alot. So can you guys suggest a scope that isn't too expensive (max 250 ish) and doesn't need high set rings to be mounted i like the lower profile. Since i don't have alot of money should i be considering a solid 3x9 that can be upgraded later? to a more expensive scope with more range.
    O.B.
    Teacher of math
    Petter of small animals
    Regular killer of paper
    Husband
    Hunter of most of gods creatures

3-9x

The 3-9x Weavers are a great scope for the money. Occasionally you'll find Simmons Whitetails on sale for about $100 and for the money they are great scopes as well. Factory refurbished 3-9x Burris scopes at Natchez are generally very reasonable and a great scope carrying the same warranty as non-refurbished scopes. What do you plan on doing with your combination? Target shooting you will want the higher powers,but for hunting large animals a 4 or 6 power fixed will get the job done out to 200 yds.+
    Be SAFE or be GONE! Pass it on.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
    Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
    One died for your soul;
    the other for your freedom." Unknown

Go on ebay and watch for a fixed power scope-8, 10, 12 power. Wait for one of the better brands-Leupold or if your rich uncle dies-Unertl.

I'm with langenc. A fixed power, anywhere from 4x to 10x would be my recommendation. You'd be surprised at what you can do with a good 4x scope. Save your money to buy something good, and you won't regret it. Leupold is a good bet. I've been disappointed in optics many times, but the Leupolds have always been good.

Don't think of a scope as having a "range". Shooters, rifles and cartridges can limit effective range much more than a decent optic. Don't forget that Highpower matches are shot out to 1,000 yards with iron sights. How many people ever shoot that far, even with their 20x+ scopes? I haven't, I can tell you, even with my 14x variable scope. I have used a fixed 4x Trijicon (~$1,000.00) scope at 600 yards to good effect on silhouettes from an AR-15 HBAR, and I did not feel the optic was my limiting factor.

Several good Weaver 4xs and a 6x or so on bay right now.. on the weavers if there is a C in the series of numbers (Weaver K4 C ) that means that the rings around the lenses is plastic. Not always bad.

Just noticed a K12 -- for low 200s. Auction will end at about 730 pm TUE 11TH.

Noticed you said you never bought scope..Go with the K line of Weavers. There are B4s (3/4" tube)-dont want and others that I am not familiar with.

If you buy the most accurate rifle in the world (if such a particular rifle exists) and you put a piece of crap scope on it, it will only shoot as good as a piece of crap scope.

If you buy a hightly accurate rifle and a high quality scope, and your mounting system is terrible, your will have terrible accuracy.

If you buy quality optics, a good mounting system - and you put it on an average rifle, you will find that your choice of scope and mount will enable you to wring every ounce of accuracy out of the rifle.

So my advice is to buy the best scope and optics you can afford.

I don't think everyone needs to buy a Nightforce or a Swarovski, but I like scopes like Leupold, Zeiss, Burris, and Nikon.

I'm sure people will respond and say that they have one that works fine, but I typically stay away from BSA, B-Square, Simmons, and even Tasco.

Maybe I'm an 'optics snob' - but I don't like cheap optics.

"Buy once. Cry once."

Get good glass. You can always keep it long term and use it on something else.

Rifleman by Leupold are not bad I picked one up on E-bay for 187$ and its been great on my M&P .223.
    Some day my children will have a lot of guns and that will bring a smile to my face.

I'm a big fan of fixed power scopes for a variety of uses, either the Weaver, Burris, or Leupold scopes should do you proud.

Another scope I've recently come to like is the Swift scopes. They're popularly priced and seem to have good optics. Give them a look before you buy something else.

first of all, the numbers you see next to a scope rarely tell you anything about quality...except if you look at the price tag.

in general, you have fixed power scopes and variable power scopes.

Fixed are generally 4x 6x 8x, etc.

Variables are generally 2-7x, 3-9x, 4-12x etc.

Just because a scope has 'more power' doesn't mean it is 'better'

The problem with a lot of inexpensive scopes is they don't transmit light/color very well. This can be important for a hunter at dawn and dusk, but less important for a target shooter.

In the same manner a 50mm scope gathers a lot of light...but unless oyu are hunting in moonlight (common in europe) it gathers more light than your eye can use. 40mm or 42mm is plenty. 32mm is plenty except possibly in a scope that is at 9x magnification or higher at dusk/dawn.

Also remember, the bigger the lense, the higher the scope sits up from the barrel, which means your head isn't in as good a position...and it means close shots are off more.

The real problem with inexpensive scopes is that after a few shots the crosshairs may shift, or the crosshairs may not move a consistent amount with each tick of the turrets, or changing the zoom may change where the crosshairs point.

It seems that many people buy scopes with a LOT of power but little quality. I have fallen for this myself too.

Usually, the bigger the lense is, the more sensitive it is to some small thing going wrong. Variable scopes with more moving parts are also more susceptable to something going wrong.

Hence a $200 4x scope is probably a very high quality one, but a $200 4-12X is likely to have all sorts of problems.

I know I have fallen into the idea of 'if this 3-9x scope is worth X, and this 4-12x scope is also worht X, then the 4-12x one must be a better buy!

Even now, if I would buy a variable, i'd NEVER go over 3-9x...and the only reason I'd choose 3-9x over 2-7x is that 3-9 has become the 'standard' and 2-7x is hard to find.

But really, you don't need 9x power (although I will admit high magnification can come in handy when you want to use the rifle's scope as your spotting scope as well )

let me also reprint the 'meat' from two chuck hawkes articles. Note this data is a tad old, some names have been changed slightly, and a few new lines are out there, but this will give you what you need.

Scopes by Price Class

Premium price class (MSRP over $1000)
    Burris Diamond
    Kahles Helia
    Leupold VX-7
    Schmidt & Bender
    Swarovski PH, PF, PV
    Zeiss Victory
    High price class (MSRP $600-$999)
    Burris Signature
    I.O.R.-Valdada
    Kahles American Hunter
    Kaps Optics
    Leupold VX-L, VX-III, FX-III
    Nikko Diamond Sportsman
    Nikon Monarch Gold
    Pentax Lightseeker, Lightseeker 30
    Redfield
    Sightron Series III (SIII)
    Swarovski AV Series
    Trijicon Accupoint
    Weaver T Series
    Medium-high price class (MSRP $400-$599)
    Burris Short Mag
    Bushnell Elite 4200
    Docter Sports Optics
    Leupold VX-II, FX-II
    Nikon Monarch
    Sightron SII Big Sky (SIIB)
    Weaver Grand Slam
    Zeiss Conquest
    Medium price class (MSRP $300-$399)
    Alpin Apex
    Browning
    Burris Fullfield II, Scout
    Bushnell Elite 3200
    I.O.R.-Valdada
    Nikon Buckmaster
    Pentax Whitetails Unlimited
    Sightron Series II (SII)
    Weaver Classic Extreme
    Medium-low price class (MSRP $200-$299)
    BSA Platinum Target
    Bushnell Legend
    Hunter Wicked Optics
    Leupold VX-I, FX-I, Rifleman
    Mueller Illuminated
    Nikon Prostaff
    Sightron Series I (SI)
    Simmons Master Series Aetec
    Weaver Classic V-Series, K-Series, Rimfire
    Low price class (MSRP $100-$199)
    Alpen Kodiak
    BSA Catseye, Huntsman, Panther, Contender, Sweet 17
    Bushnell Trophy, Banner
    Mueller Extreme, APV
    Nikko Platinum
    Simmons Master Series ProHunter
    Swift Premier, Standard
    Tasco Titan
    Economy price class (MSRP under $100)
    BSA Deerhunter
    Bushnell Sportsman, .22 Rimfire
    Nikko Gold Crown
    Simmons Master Series ProSport, Blazer, .22 Mag, Rimfire
    Tasco World Class, Varmint, Golden Antler, Pronghorn, .22, Rimfire

Recommended scopes...the star system mostly lines up with the 'price class' above

Five-Star Scopes
    Leupold VX-7
    Schmidt & Bender
    Swarovski PH, PF Series
    Zeiss Victory
    Four-Star-Plus Scopes
    Burris Euro Diamond, Black Diamond
    Leupold VX-L, VX-III, FX-III
    Nikon Monarch Gold
    Sightron Series III (SIIISS)
    Swarovski AV Series
    Trijicon Accupoint
    Four-Star Scopes
    Bushnell Elite 4200
    Burris Signature Select, LaserScope
    Leupold VX-II, FX-II
    Nikon Monarch, Monarch X, Laser IRT
    Sightron Series II (SIIB) Big Sky
    Weaver Grand Slam, T-Series
    Zeiss Conquest
    Three-Star Plus Scopes
    Bushnell Elite 3200
    Weaver Classic Extreme
    Three-Star Scopes
    Burris Fullfield II
    Bushnell Legend
    Leupold VX-I, FX-I
    Mueller Eraticator, Sport Dot, Tactical
    Nikon Buckmaster
    Sightron SI
    Simmons Master Series AETEC
    Weaver Classic V-Series and K-Series, Rimfire
    Two-Star-Plus Scopes
    Bushnell Trophy
    Leupold Rifleman
    Mueller Extreme
    Nikon ProStaff
    Simmons Master Series ProHunter
    Two-Star Scopes
    Bushnell Banner, .22 Rimfire
    Mueller APV
    Simmons Master Series ProSport

Truth is, you and I and most folks are best served by medium and medium low price class. If you want to save a little, look for something of fixed power, or a little less variable power.

I swung by midway. It so happens I have been thinking of getting a light 223 bolt gun for fun shooting and maybe the occasional yote or fox etc. NOT a dedicated heavy prarie dog gun needing a big honking scope.

I decided that a light 223 really deserved a slim scope, not too big. I figured that the 2-7X variable, in the 30mm-35mm area would be great.

Here are some I was looking at
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=182262 Bushnell Legend $140
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=629513 Weaver Classic V $140
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=817249 Burris Fullfield II $170
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=284109 Leupold VX-I $210
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=297409 Bushnell Elite 3200 $210

I am never getting a super cheap scope again. Too much frustration and absolute waste of my own time and money with 'shifting crosshairs' and 'loosing zero'

I am really looking at the two $140 scopes.

Note, the are all '3 star' scopes except the Bushnell Elite 3200 that is a 3+ star. I personally think that the Leupold VX-I is a 3+ star as well.

Well, this is convenient. I'm looking for a scope for target/Appleseed--the iron sights aren't doing it for me. My rifle is a 10/22, and I'd like to mount a 2X pistol scope (or a compact rifle scope). Money is a problem, as my job is in jeopardy at the moment.
    The Antibubba

If you are a Jew who supports gun control, you've either forgotten the lessons of the Holocaust, or you never learned them in the first place.