Thread: Operation Mag Drop

Operation Mag Drop

A quiet, ongoing program of Second Amendment activism.

Many have been doing it for some time. Basically it's leaving your gun magazines (reading kind, not fill-with-ammo kind) in public places.

www.operationmagdrop.com
    Tom Gresham, Host
    Tom Gresham's Gun Talk Radio Show

You're free to call me an all-talk, no-guts sissy who's just coming up with excuses not to do anything, but is that really putting our best foot forward? I don't know if it was better way back when, but my most recent issues of Guns and Ammo have seemed a lot like Cosmo of late, just with guns.

If people were convinced that makeup was evil, I don't know that distributing back issues of cosmo everywhere would necessarily show the world how normal makeup users are.
    Sow seed-but let no tyrant reap;
    Find wealth-let no impostor heap;
    Weave robes-let not the idle wear;
    Forge arms-in your defense to bear.

-Percy Bysshe Shelley, Song to the Men of England, 1819

I usually pass all of my weapons related mags on to others when I am done.
    NRA life member, Support Our Troops,
    Pointman Ministries Member
    MMCDC Member

Heh...it really did take me a while to realize what kind of mags you meant, even though you made it pretty clear. I was like "What kind of moron leaves empty mags lying around, what with prices these days?"
    IANAL. TINLA. BYOB.
    You can't spell "B.O.H.I.C.A." without B.H.O.

What gun magazines are better about presenting fun and responsible gun ownership?

For example, I'm more of a knife guy, and I would share the mags that show the intricate art blades with anyone, but the ones that had a few pages on the big Rambo knives and organ trauma would make me think before passing it on.

I agree with PercyShelly's comments, but likening G&A to Cosmo might not be a bad thing. After all they sell Cosmo in every grocery checkout lane. The stuff in Cosmo is everyday and normal, we want people to have the same assocation with guns. Someone casually saying "Oooh the new Glock is out" in the same tone as "Hey look the new dress from Quiche is out" is a good thing!

In my view, the goal is to make gun ownership unremarkable.

(Okay, I stole that from Oleg.)
    Tom Gresham, Host
    Tom Gresham's Gun Talk Radio Show

I have always passed on my old gun mags, American Rifleman, mostly.
    I usually leave them at work, but what other places would you suggest?
    I don't go to a barber, since I'm bald and can cut the little bit I have, myself.
    " When Governments fear people, there is Liberty. When People fear the Government, there is Tyranny."
    www.sendoutcards.com

Great idea, and passing them along means we are all being green cause less trees are cut down. Of course I see using a supressor as being green cause of less noise pollution.

My doctor and my dentist are both avid skeet shooters and already have all the mags in their offices. (hrmmm, maybe my Allergist <grin>).
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

Last month we dropped off a stack of gun magazines at our local Habitat for Humanity because we'd seen gun/hunting magazines there before.

We followed up a week later to check if our donation magazines were in their magazine rack for sale, and they were! Glad to see they had no qualms about displaying them.
    Shelley B.
    NRA, GOA, SAF

Shotgun news might be a good one for it. Lots of ads of course but they have really good articles that cover varied subjects.
    Considering how often the question of "which .22lr is best?" gets asked, I figured I'd put my answer in the sig line. CZech 'em out.
    The science of "knockdown power": Thar be dragons!
    Whatever happened to deck guns?

I recently posted the same idea on my blog at http://confederatesharpshooter.blogs...-do-today.html thinking it was an original idea...

I should have known someone else had thought of it!

One thing worth adding here- add your favorite url somewhere noticeable. I usually write in www.thehighroad.us and http://www.a-human-right.com/ somewhere in big dark lettering on the borders of Shotgun News or similar publications left in the Doctor's office.

I have seriously considered printing out single-sheet papers to place inside, like a mini blog post for the folks that get gun info via the latest slasher movie or the MSM. Have not done so yet.
    Ramius.
    God Bless the South and Robert E. Lee!

Quebec is seceding from Canada... perhaps it's time for Carolina to try it again...

I'm about to move back to California and I will be leaving mags all over the town I am moving to. I'm also going to do a little spying to see some of the responses to finding gun mags in the pile of reading material at the local coffee shops.
    I repeat - some people are just itching to get their panties in a wad about something. And this is why I normally stay out of Legal. <sigh>
    Don't think we are going to take your handguns from you, were just going to limit the number of rounds they will hold. orchidhunter

I'm about to move back to California and I will be leaving mags all over the town I am moving to. I'm also going to do a little spying to see some of the responses to finding gun mags in the pile of reading material at the local coffee shops.
    When you do, make sure you post the details- I'd really like to hear what happens.
    Ramius.

Quebec is seceding from Canada... perhaps it's time for Carolina to try it again...

I like this idea. What are some good "responsible sportsman" type magazines that I could subscribe to?
    'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have..'

Genius. Put the idea out there and let it insinuate itself into the fabric of our society once more.
    Semper Fi

-There's a difference between knowing something, and doing it.

When you do, make sure you post the details- I'd really like to hear what happens.
    You would be surprised at how pro gun California really is once you get away from the Bay Area and LA. I'm also thinking of dropping off Runners World in places all around where I am living in Michigan. (no offense to all you Michiganders who are in shape, of course)
    I repeat - some people are just itching to get their panties in a wad about something. And this is why I normally stay out of Legal. <sigh>
    Don't think we are going to take your handguns from you, were just going to limit the number of rounds they will hold. orchidhunter

All of mine go to an area high school for the kids' use. It is a small school with a small budget.

Eddie Eagle...

Just had a thought... a few copies of the Eddie Eagle coloring books for the kids might be in order, also...
    Ramius.