+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arizona Rancher Who Stopped Illegal Immigrants Being Sued

Arizona Rancher Who Stopped Illegal Immigrants Being Sued

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,490084,00.html

Arizona Rancher Who Stopped Illegal Immigrants at Border Now Fighting $32 Million Lawsuit

An Arizona man who has waged a 10-year campaign to stop a flood of illegal immigrants from crossing his property is being sued by 16 Mexican nationals — seeking $32 million in damages — who accuse him of conspiring to violate their civil rights when he stopped them at gunpoint on his ranch on the U.S.-Mexico border, the Washington Times reported Monday.
    The rancher, Roger Barnett, 64, began rounding up illegal immigrants in 1998 and turning them over to the U.S. Border Patrol after they destroyed his property, killed his calves and broke into his home, the newspaper reported.
    The lawsuit is based on a March 7, 2004, incident in a dry wash on the 22,000-acre ranch, when he approached a group of illegal immigrants while carrying a gun and accompanied by a large dog.
    Attorneys for the immigrants — five women and 11 men who were trying to cross illegally into the United States — have accused Barnett of holding the group captive at gunpoint, threatening to turn his dog loose on them and saying he would shoot anyone who tried to escape.
    His Cross Rail Ranch near Douglas, Ariz., is known by federal and county law enforcement authorities as "the avenue of choice" for immigrants seeking to enter the United States illegally, the newspaper reports.

When did we become the UK???
    'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have..'

While this really pisses me off it is not unexpected.

The feel good crowd has given the entire world US citizenship and all rights and privileges.

So if you stop them from entering your property, your country etc you are the criminal...

Every day the UN mentality creeps in more and more.

Kind of like you shooting a burglar and he now suing you for more than your home is worth or if your dog bites him etc.

Just really upsets me at the loss of our ability to stand up for what is right, protect life and property.

The pioneer spirit has left the building....

funny when you can get sued for upholding the us legal doctrine of citizens arrest, and the border protection washington doesnt care about.
    has anyone else noticed the big irony here? the man is being sued for violating the "civil rights" of these illegal border crossers, when under american LAW, they have absolutely no legal or civil rights as they are not american citizens.

when we decided not to be somalia and have warlords
    be careful who you pick for a poster child
    http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intel...e.jsp?pid=1354

apologies for using that paragon of his profession morris dees as a source

Vigilante Justice
    Rancher Roger Barnett Faces a Come-Uppance
    By Susy Buchanan

Nativists on the Barnett Case
    The following excerpts are representative of nativist reactions to the civil verdict against Roger Barnett last November.
    Read More

COCHISE COUNTY, Ariz. — Crouching low, Ronald Morales and his 11-year-old daughter moved quietly and quickly, hoping to escape detection. Stealth was vital as they crept around the boulders and scrub brush that clutter the Sonora desert just north of the Mexican border.

It was Oct. 30, 2004. Morales, a 37-year-old Department of Defense employee, was deer hunting with his father, Arturo, and three little girls: his daughter, Vanese, who was then 11, her little sister Angelique, 9, and Emma English, a friend who was also 11. All were Mexican-Americans — U.S. citizens since birth.

The way Ron Morales tells the story, around 4 p.m. he and his eldest daughter left the rest of the party at his truck to stalk a buck they had spotted.

Vanese had the deer in her crosshairs when the sound of a distant ruckus in the direction of the truck alarmed her father. Morales took the rifle, slung it over his shoulder, and they hurried back.

They arrived to find another truck parked near their own. Next to it, Morales says, an angry white man with a pistol strapped to his side paced back and forth, shouting obscenities. "You're ****ing trespassing! You guys need to get the **** out of here!"

"I have a hunter's permit, I have a map," Morales protested as he walked to his vehicle, set down his rifle, grabbed a Bureau of Land Management map, and tried to reason with the man.

Morales, a Navy veteran, says he addressed him as "sir" and asked his name. The man reached in the cab of his truck, yanked out an AR-15 assault rifle, and gave Morales his answer.

"My ****ing name is Roger Barnett! If you don't get off my property, I'm gonna shoot you and shoot you and shoot you!"

Then, Morales says, Barnett chambered a round and pointed his weapon at Morales' chest.

The victims with family members and their lawyer (from left): Ana English, Ed English, Vanese Morales, Ron Morales, Emma English, Renee Morales, attorney Jesus Romo Vejar (foreground), and Angelique Morales.

The Clash
    Two years later, Ron Morales and Roger Barnett met again, two men sitting stoically at opposite ends of Judge James Conlogue's stark courtroom in Cochise County, which ends at the Mexican border in southeastern Arizona. Outside, November winds whipped the streets with impunity.
    It was to be a momentous confrontation, probably the most dramatic yet seen between anti-immigration hard-liners and those who oppose them. Closely watched by reporters and other observers from near and far, the clash would unfold at ground zero of the increasingly virulent battle over illegal immigration.

More people trudge across this ruggedly beautiful part of Sonoran Desert, which stretches from Mexico north into Arizona, than any other section of the 2,000-mile-long border. It is here that Roger Barnett brought national attention to the immigration situation with his loud and public complaints about illegal migrants who trespass on his sprawling ranch. It is also here that Barnett, a man who boasts of having personally apprehended 12,000 border-crossers, effectively sired the entire citizen's border patrol movement — a movement once characterized as "vigilante" by President Bush, a Texan intimately familiar with the borderlands.

A rancher since 1996, Barnett's a swaggering, silver-haired, ruddy-faced product of the desert sun whose militant reputation -— like the vigilante movement he inspired — stretches far beyond Cochise County.

"Humans, the greatest prey on earth," Roger Barnett told a reporter from London's Independent in May of 2000, six months after he was photographed for Time magazine brandishing an M-16 — and a full 16 months before Chris Simcox would leave his California kindergarten classroom to form the Arizona militia that would eventually become the Minutemen, now the best-known citizen group to carry weapons to the border in an effort to halt illegal immigration.

"A vigilante goes out, rounds up people, holds a trial and executes them. I haven't done that yet," Barnett told USA Today that same year. "But bloodshed could happen."

there are 2 more pages white jury convicted him on 15 counts. as was pointed out in another thread you are judged by having folks like this as part of the cause

an all white jury watched him and his ex cop brothers including the one canned for beating a prisoner and after seeing him and the lationos testify decided he and his family were the liars. and i suppose the emts were just against him too. guys a nut

It sounds to me like the Barnett fellow is the sort who's looking for an excuse to kill.

It's just a matter of time.
    Too many people {trade} rights {for} morality. I am certain that everyone here wants to live in a moral society. But, if you are going to live in a free society, you have to be willing to let people corrupt themselves. -- paraphrased from Sheik Yerbouti

or he wants martyrdom. hes one of the easy nuts to spot its the hidden ones you need to watch out for. and guys like him are good for drawing them out

Cool

Well I never said he was my poster boy.

But it appears you are mixing cases. One where he confronts US citizens and one for detaining Illegal aliens.

While ranting etc never helps.
    But if your land, property and home are constantly trashed for decades you may loose it as well when the law does nothing to protect you or your property against illegals. As he was not convicted of crimes here your line of reason does not really apply other than he blows up.

Secondly if you find an armed man on your property who carrying a loaded rifle you might just decide to get and point your rifle at him and say don't move or I will shoot.

You make it sound like the latinos were there picking daisy's and were not armed. He was hunting. So he was armed with a loaded weapon. He cannot have a permit to hunt on someones property. So he was obviously illegally hunting on private property by his own statement you listed.

FYI In most areas it is actually required that you verbally warn someone prior to using deadly force. I would rather have someone yell don't move instead of just opening fire on me myself.

Of course, we are convicting this guy based on a completely non-biased newspaper account of the incident.

I don't care if is he is crazy or not. A person should have the right to keep unwanted people off his property, whether they are US citizens or illegal aliens.

actually in the first case where he was convicted when confronted by the nut they were hunting on state land. they did cross his land to get there.

whats your excuse for him stopping the ambulance and going off? and how much of a campaign contribution does it take to get a no prosecution card down there? thats cool! owning a sherriff and prosecutor gotta free you up a lot! course this pesky federal case might prove problematic for a lotta folks....

I read the whole article cassandrasdaddy linked for us and it sounds to me like both sides were in the wrong. Morales for crossing private land to access state land and for hunting on private property in 2004. It also sounds like the rancher has some serious issues of his own.

edit: I don't think the rancher is in the wrong for trying to keep his property free of people hunting there or illegal aliens, but I think he might have some issues with anger. But I also don't know the whole story.
    I repeat - some people are just itching to get their panties in a wad about something. And this is why I normally stay out of Legal. <sigh>
    Don't think we are going to take your handguns from you, were just going to limit the number of rounds they will hold. orchidhunter

Cool

I agree with DM1333.

While I would have called a sheriff or cops myself for hunters and trespassers. My buddy has a ranch and rarely a year goes by when the sheriff does not arrest someone for trespassing and hunting on his land. These guys use bolt cutters to snap the locks off his gates.

I do feel a man has the right to keep anyone he wants off his land/home.

You do not wish to face armed excited rancher, do not trespass...

I would agree it is wrong to want to kill someone for the sake of killing someone.

Not all illegals or illegal hunters are unarmed or friendly either.

and the ambulance thing was just a bad hair day. kinda scary that this whack job and his 2 brotheres were all cops.

you don't suppose thats his get outa jail card do ya?
    Last Dec. 30, five weeks after the verdict, Barnett got into a heated confrontation with paramedics attempting to administer medical aid to an injured Mexican who Border Patrol agents had just arrested on Barnett's land.

The man, who was carrying a backpack full of marijuana, told sheriff's deputies that Barnett had set three dogs on him and that he ran, fell, and injured his knee. He also said he was diabetic and hadn't eaten in three days.

The EMTs had just put him in the back of the ambulance when Barnett flagged them down and demanded they let him inside to look at the man's shoes to see if he was the same person Barnett had been tracking earlier in the day. When the paramedics refused, Barnett, who was armed with a pistol, became abusive, according a criminal complaint EMT Robert Vega filed with the Cochise County Sheriff's Department.

According to the deputy assigned to the case, Barnett stated the EMTs were "****in' lying" and claimed that the encounter, as they described it, "never happened." He also refused to give his own account of what happened.

Two months later, Cochise County Attorney Ed Rheinheimer, citing a lack of evidence, officially declined to press charges.

http://www.alternet.org/rights/51084...serves/?page=5

Clinging to my guns and religion, smalltown America
    Isn't it legal to use the threat od deadly force to protect property in Arizona? He might not technically have done anything illegal.
    The most dangerous north American land animal is the RINO

In some ways it is the "rancher vs squatter" routine all over again

I think he is a little zealous, not sure I would be pulling a gun on a child because they are on my property Or doing some of the crazy things he is supposed to have done! I always thought the best way to handle it is to call Border Patrol! Not a life and death issue, unless they are "coyote's" and you are helping the victims that are being taken advantage of. He is going to wish he handled it differently I have a feeling!

It is something that has to be handled in the court system, we have no other recourse, really!

One side or the other "outlaws and lawmen" have different codes to live by, or, are they the same
    According to the deputy assigned to the case, Barnett stated the EMTs were "f888in' lying" and claimed that the encounter, as they described it, "never happened." He also refused to give his own account of what happened.

So the beat goes on bet he does not do this again

Regards

he lost on 14 of 15 counts before and paid a 100 k hes a slow learner

now maybe if he gets tagged by the doj along with the sheriff and da he might get a clue

I wonder what would have happened if the group kept walking north without threatening him? Would he have shot them and killed people for trespassing?
    This is the kind of incident that set the folks who are on the fence about gun control against the right to keep and bear arms.

Wwid?

What would I do if I constantly found illegal immigrants tespassing on my land? What's that you say? Salty language is not allowed. Having a loaded gun when they have, is not allowed. And confronting paramedics assisting a felon is a bad thing? Let me tell you what I would've done long before is fence the place and raise packs of large dogs. When did it become wrong to get angry? Injustice and theft, lying and obstructing my actions on my property are pretty much always going to incite my anger. If you don't want that, than play by the rules (I'm not gonna elucidate more than that,now.)
    When I joined, I swore to protect and defend the Constitution. No one ever said I was relieved of that oath.

He has a lot of land and he was just trying to keep it clean of riff raff I have a feeling. He needs to get a grip though. One thing to hold for the proper authority, another to do what he did.

Can you protect your lands, looks like they have rules you need to follow

Good thing I would say! Maybe we should go by these Laws now!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia

Or the older ones that Hammurabi put into effect long ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammurabi

Wait we still have some of them Hmmmm

Regards

I don't know if he's a nut, but he had David T Hardy (Of Arms and the law) defending him.

Click the link for Mr. Hardy's blog comments on the case.

They won, Barnett clearly lost!

Bill for his defense has to be huge, plus, he was convicted

Won't be able to even own a firearm, good job numb nut!

Regards

civil suit shouldn't hurt gun carry last one sure didn't and hes gonna have to shoot someone before the sheriff will charge him criminally

After reading this:
    http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009...izona-rancher/

I really feel for the guy, he is between a rock and a hard spot for sure!

He should sue the "United States of America" for what has been done to him!
    He should set up a location for donations...I will donate in a heartbeat!

Regards

Clinging to my guns and religion, smalltown America
    I thought a he won on a lot of the charges.
    The most dangerous north American land animal is the RINO

+ Reply to Thread