Thread: Webley MK IV .38/200 ammo.

Webley MK IV .38/200 ammo.

I have a friend who just inherited a Webley MK IV, in .38/200.
    I know that it is chambered for .38 S&W.
    The revolver is in very good condition, it had been stored in a cloth bag for decades. And my friend wants to shoot it.
    I know that there is commercial .38 S&W ammo available, but I can't find any in 200 gr LRN.
    My research says the Webley was designed and shoots best with the 200gr LRN bullet.
    Does anyone know of any company that makes .38/200 ammo?
    Thanks.
    " When Governments fear people, there is Liberty. When People fear the Government, there is Tyranny."
    www.sendoutcards.com

I use Winchester 145 grain lead .38 S&W in my webley MK4 and can manage 1.5 inch groups at ten meters with it, which is pretty reasonable for a sixty seven year old milsurp.

Old Western Scrounger lists their own 38-200 load: http://www.ows-ammo.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id/1113
    If you're 6'4" 360, with the scraggly beard wearing a kilt, I think you can leave the guns at home. Just throw on your tartan, grab the nearest sledgehammer, and chase the bad guy down on foot while yelling "REMEMBER WILLIAM WALLACE!!!" If he stops before he hits the state line, splatter him - MGshaggy

The British military actually used a 179 gr full jacketed bullet for the Webley, not 200gr lead. The police and para military used the 200 lead but not the military

I still run into FN produced "Revolver, .380 IIz" ammunition at gunshows, usually 25 rounds in a plastic pack, it has a 174gr FMJ bullet (pulled and weighed a couple) and is berdan primed. I believe this was the standard service load adopted prior to WWII and used after.

You can get a set of Lee dies for the .38 S&W cheaper than a box of new factory ammo, and I've had luck shooting .357 sized bullets thru my Webley and Enfield, especially the Horandy 148 gr HBWC. I know reloading isn't for everyone, but it often makes sense with many calibers, at least for me.

The 38 s/w ammo shot horribly through mine.
    It's very slow, poor in terms of accuracy, and it's a tad pricey.

Reloading turned my little Webley into a great woods gun.

I love old Webleys. The one I had was tattooed like a hardcore kid with proof marks and all kind of stuff and had the worst wartime blue ever.
    And, the break action was the coolest thing.
    I liked it a lot.

Finding the mil-surp stuff ain't that hard.
    Don't forget Eve Carson. or the goblins that killed her.

The Land of Northern Hospitality and Southern Efficiency
    The 200 Grain Lead Bullet is in violation of some sort of agreement in that only jacketed bullets or something like that would be used. I think it's the Hague convention of 1898 or something.
    Move along move along. Nothing to see here.

Reloading would of course be cheapest, .38/200 is a 200-grain bullet shoved down the front of a .38 S&W case. So .38 S&W will work as well, though being chambered for a heavier bullet, the gun may shoot high. Good luck finding either round in a gun store though; the clerks in every place I've recently visited just looked at me and shook their heads..

Internet to the rescue!

Midway has .38S&W in several bullet types, including LRN:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/BROWSE/Brow...g=653***691***

Old Western Scrounger also sells new manufacture .38/200:
    http://www.ows-ammo.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id/1113

I just laid a Enfield Revolver away yesterday and they didn't know it was a 38/200 they had it marked as a 38 Spl. I told them it could use 38 S&W but no way it could chamber even a 38 Long

Administrator   
    Mind your post dates, folks.

This one was an oldie before today.
    "Tactical" is a mindset, not an equipment list.

Home | Forum | Blog | ❏ PicPaste | ImgDump |☎ Nalioth

I was trying to bring it back to life with out giving it CPR LOL hahaha so much for trying ?