Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your kid know what to do when arrested?

bad post

Sorry
    Last edited by Uglyoldpoorman; February 10th, 2009 at 02:15 PM.

I've been saying for YEARS now that we need a "how to be arrested 101" class in schools that covers items to protect both the officers and the kids.

I firmly believe that if folks understood more about the things that fall under "officer safety" they'd be a lot less inclined to make a bad situation worse.

Along the same line I think Officers need to know more about "saving face" when dealing with the public.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

Yeah.

Only cooperate enough to keep from getting tazed and until you get a lawyer.
    If you're going to hunt humans, you should know we travel in packs. -Capt. Phillip Korso

The Wall Street journal had an article about 10 yrs ago regarding getting pulled over in vehicle--kids or big people.

When the LEO hands license etc back and then asks "may I look around" the answer is "AM I FREE TO LEAVE".... nothing else. He will have to say Yes since he just gave you your Id etc back. DRIVE away and dont look back.

Should the LEO say "NO" then ask 'what am I being charged with'???

Saying "Yes", he may look around is waiving your 4thA rights and you and the vehicle are open season.

If my kid ever gets arrested, all they will need to know is where I keep the crowbar because he'll need it to pry my foot out of his a$$
    “Imagine how much more hopeful the story of the gospel would be if Jesus had a gun.”

www.usgunowners.com

"If my kid ever gets arrested, all they will need to know is where I keep the crowbar because he'll need it to pry my foot out of his a$$"

My thoughts EXACTLY. If ever arrested, my kid had better know to immediately leave the country and change his name, before I get my hands on him...

If my kid ever gets arrested, all they will need to know is where I keep the crowbar because he'll need it to pry my foot out of his a$$
    This assumes that law enforcement will always act judiciously and without political motivation. Heck, they don't even do that today... who knows what the future holds?

Of course I never want my children to be arrested either... but if they are arrested wrongly or under false pretense, I want to be sure they don't harm their case out of ignorance.

I appreciate the point of this thread.
    If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you. - Jack Handey

Clinging to my guns and religion, smalltown America
    Why would they be arrested in the first place?
    The most dangerous north American land animal is the RINO

When the LEO hands license etc back and then asks "may I look around"
    "Can you wait 'til after I leave?"

HA! (writes that one down) Can I use that one? That ok?
    If you're going to hunt humans, you should know we travel in packs. -Capt. Phillip Korso

Go for it.

Close, But No Cigar.

When the LEO hands license etc back and then asks "may I look around" the answer is "AM I FREE TO LEAVE".... nothing else.
    You are a NOGO at this station

Any time the police ask for permission to search the proper answer is " Officer I do not consent to any searches"

If he says he can get a warrant or a dog here in twenty minutes the proper answer is " Officer I do not consent to any searches and I'd like to contact my lawyer " after that SHUT UP.

Should the LEO say "NO" then ask 'what am I being charged with'??
    STEEEERIKE TWO!

The proper reply is "Officer, I do not wish to answer any questions or make any statements W/out my attorney present after that SHUT UP.
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

I've got a Dremel and 200 attachments. I can make ANYTHING fit ANYWHERE.

Administrator   
    What is it a "bad post"? Kids may be arrested same as adults -- there's a presumption of innocence.
    Oleg Volk
    A Human Right | Blog

After talking to several LEO's I was told it was a stupid idea. I take that as a reason for trying to develop the program and presenting it to schools.

And this is one person who will never stand up for the police again. Go eat your donuts and hide until the shooting stops.

And this is one person who will never stand up for the police again. Go eat your donuts and hide until the shooting stops.
    Around here it's become hot wings. They hide in Wingstop through most of the bar rush so they won't risk having to stop too many drunk drivers.

here's the biggest problem for a kid. his/her teacher/principal will be there with the cop demanding the kid answer all questions. Afterall you taught your kid to follow the teachers directions.

I know this because my wife taught for 30 years in an inner city school

AFS
    'Qui tacet consentit': To remain silent is to consent.

After talking to several LEO's I was told it was a stupid idea. I take that as a reason for trying
    Getting legal advice from a cop is like a chicken getting retirement advice from Col. Sanders
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

Part 1 of 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

Part 2 of 2 of the "Don't talk to the police!" series on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQ...eature=related

Handy stuff for people of all ages. Go USA!
    "Good night, and good luck." - Edward R. Murrow
    "We will not walk in fear of one another." - Edward R. Murrow (translation: Don't be paranoid, just be prepared)

Administrator   
    I talked about this to my step son. I also told him how to behave if anyone in our family was involved in a self defense shooting.

Before everyone starts talking about what they would do to their child remember there are plenty of reasons one may be arrested and be innocent.

Uglyoldpoorman: Unless your posts are against the rules please realize they have value. Of course you are free to delete them but don't feel like you need to.

Did you present it as a class on what to do when you are arrested? If so I can partly understand the negative reaction. You need to talk to the department, not a random officers.

I think you would get far more interest if you presented it as a class on how to safely interact with law enforcement that way you can include information on vehicle stops, daily interaction, and even being detained or arrested. I bet you every officer has a few things they wish the public knew about interacting with law enforcement.

Also rather than developing it yourself suggest they develop it, and offer to volunteer to help make the program a success. Most departments have people in charge of improving their interaction with the community.

I am constantly amazed how many people think it is a good idea to demonstrate the physical assault they were a victim to ON a police officer, they don't actually strike but come close. They are also apparently completely unaware of the officer's body language indicating how bad of an idea that is.
    Last edited by ShadoWalker; November 25th, 2009 at 07:52 PM.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Administrator   
    Also for those the commented about it, this is still the high road.

If you see behavior you don't think is high road rather than posting in the thread PM a mod or use the report thread button.

We aren't everywhere and members alerting us to things that need our attention is both helpful and appreciated.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Part 1 of 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

Part 2 of 2 of the "Don't talk to the police!" series on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQ...eature=related

These videos are fantastic . The attorney makes very good points and the detective makes even better ones .

Both of my kids 13 & 14 are right on the brink of driving . I need to sit them down and show the videos . I also need to explain to them how and where to properly pull the vehicle over . I beleive here in OK a driver is allowed 2.5 miles to pull a vehicle over before its considered eluding . I will encourage them to use that in order to find a safe populated place to pull over for a traffic stop .

My kid got arrested. She remembered about half what I had taught her. She spent the night in jail on a class D misdemeanor and could have done up to a year in jail. However, the half she did remember served her well and she ended up with 80 hours community service and a $400 fine, since the DA didn't have a whole lot to work with.

My mistake was not drilling it into her and making sure she remembered everything. We are both wiser now.

I beleive here in OK a driver is allowed 2.5 miles to pull a vehicle over before its considered alluding.
    LOL! I believe you mean 'eluding'. Look up 'alluding' and you will see why this is so funny.
    "There is no lie too grotesque, too stupid, or too base for leftist extremists to retell." -- Standing Wolf

Posted from my Ubuntu machine.

I never could find a good definition and I dont have a dictionary here anymore . Thank You for the correction though I will edit .

I never could find a good definition and I dont have a dictionary here anymore
    http://www.m-w.com
    Being right too soon is socially unacceptable. - Robert A. Heinlein

Blog - updated irregularly
    Photos - still under construction, suggestions welcome