Thread: 1-Step vs Solvent / Oil?

1-Step vs Solvent / Oil?

I was told once by a gunsmith that 1-Step products (such as Pro-Shot 1-Step Gun Cleaner and Lubricant) are as good as using separate solvent and oil for general cleaning. Do you agree or disagree?

If solvent and oil is better, what are the best high quality brands, or rather, your favorite brands?

I think it's true. The military issues CLP (Cleans, Lubricates, Protects) for the M16 and M4. It's supposed to be a one-shot wonder.

Personally, I use Rem Oil (also designed to clean, lubricate and protect) exclusively. Spray it on the rag I'm wiping the carbon off with, spray it on the patches / boresnake I run through the bore, spray it on the parts before reassembly, heck spray it on the steel exterior parts of the gun before putting it in the safe as a rust preventative. I use it on pretty much everything and feel my guns are as clean and protected as they could be by using independant products

Now let me add that it's probably time for me to run some specialty lead / copper / plastic remover through my shotgun's bore to keep the barrel clean, as I shot alot of lead birdshot and slugs that look to be leading up the bore a bit. But I consider that a perioditc maintenance bit rather than a regular operation. Also, I LOVE regular non-chlorinated Brake Cleaner for my AR-15 - it makes getting the crap out of the bolt carrier ALOT easier. But that's just a convenience thing - I'd be happy with just Rem Oil, too
    If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you. - Jack Handey

You will get a lot of different opinions on this. Since you asked, here's mine:

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

This is actually an argument for a one step cleaner/lubricant/protectant (CLP), but you get the idea. I've been using Eezox for about three years now, and have yet to find something better...and I've tried everything I can lay my hands on.

There are two drawbacks to Eezox. It can be hard to find, and it can be pricey. Neither stops me from finding, buying and using it.

BTW, I still have nearly-full cans of Corrosion-X, Breakfree CLP, Gibbs Brand, and several others. If interested, let me know.

Thank you.

I just use Dexron II automatic transmision fluid to clean my handguns (mostly shoot lead bullets.) Don't know if that's enough for rifles or if I'll need a copper remover first. (just getting into rifles)
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" —Kenny Rogers

All Purpose

G96 spray. Smells good too. Leaves no oily film to speak of.
    Ulflyer

All you really need is a bottle of Breakfree CLP and some copper solvent (if you shoot jacketed bullets.) CLP really does everything they claim. As a gunsmith I used it for years on competition guns. One thing that is helpful is clean them as soon as you can. The longer the carbon and fouling sits on the gun the harder it is to remove. If the gun is still warm and you can clean it at the range it's much easier. After a long day at the matches I used to open the action and swab the filthy parts and bore with CLP on a Q tip and take them home. Most of the crud would wipe off with just a rag. Dexron is a great carbon solvent and a pretty good lube also. It won't remove copper though.

Gunzilla...just began using it recently and am very pleased. I like it better than CLP and that's saying a lot.

What I said in this post is still holding true for me. YMMV of course.

1) Outers foaming bore cleaner (to remove copper fouling).
    2) Gunzilla (for general wipe down and powder fouling and especially to help remove the plastic snot from my shotgun barrels).
    3) WeaponShield to lube and protect.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

1) Outers foaming bore cleaner (to remove copper fouling).
    I still have the first can I bought three years ago. Tried it once, not at all impressed.
    2) Gunzilla (for general wipe down and powder fouling and especially to help remove the plastic snot from my shotgun barrels).
    Don't shoot shotguns regularly, so I cannot comment fairly.
    3) WeaponShield to lube and protect.
    Have bought and tried it. Honestly, not all that impressed. Eezox has it beat all to Hell.

Just my .02 worth...actually, more like several hundred dollars worth...

IMO,i think the 1 step stuff is fine, as long as you use a copper solvent periodically as well. i dont think it takes much to get the gunpowder residue out.
    jack of all trades, MASTER OF NONE! & sometimes, totally confused.