Thread: Ammo and Component Ban Proposal

Ammo and Component Ban Proposal

Hi

Received this from a friend in Texas. Story was posted on "The Shooting Wire". I would ask all members of this forum to consider writing your Congressmen and Senators and voicing your opposition to such a ban. It will directly effect employment in the US Firearms Industry at a time when we all know unemployment is rising and anything that curtails trade cannot be good for the economy.

"Despite the fact that tomorrow's supposed to be the day to show love and affection, it looks like Canadian firearms enthusiasts aren't much in love with parts of the government right now.

The reason? A report making the rounds in Canada that says officials have it on "good authority" that our State Department may be on the verge of cutting off all imports of certain calibers of ammunition.

Ammos listed for this rumored ban include the .50BMG, 7.62x39mm Soviet, 7.62x51mm NATO, .308 Winchester, 5.56 NATO and .223 Remington. Additionally, we're hearing that an expansion of this proposed ban might be broadened to include the 6.8mm SPC, 9mm Parabellum, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP- among others.

In other words, State Department officials may be floating a trial balloon to see if there are howls of protest, or whimpers of compliance. Canadian elected officials who have directed this information to me say the move seems to be motivated by "emboldened" anti-gun officials who think they have a kindred spirit in President Obama.

Additionally, Canadian officials tell me they are hearing rumblings of blanket export bans on certain firearms to Canada and the attachment of DSP-83 End Use Certificates (with their $250 Export Fee) attached to all other types of American firearms.

Should that happen, opposition leaders remind Canadian firearms owners, it will not affect European Union imports. Firearms and ammo exported from Europe would be unaffected- and certainly at far more appealing prices than comparable U-S firearms. In effect, the State Department would be hammering gun manufacturers, distributors and exporters in the United States while simultaneously making firearms -and ammunition - ownership and acquisition more difficult for Canadians. To antigun politicians, this must smell like roses. To pro-gun politicians in Canada, it smells fishy, and they're trying to drum up awareness on both sides of the border because it is "still being fought and the battle isn't over yet."

But it looks like an indirect campaign against firearms and ammo may have already begun."
    Bill C 68 making Canada safe for criminals everywhere.

I'm always suspicious of rumors on "good authority," but with no name attached.

Also, I wasn't aware that 6.8 SPC was made outside the US. Nor is it really a major market caliber.

What I more likely see is a "safety requirement" that foreign ammo has to meet with expensive tests, and outlawing exposed lead, etc, just to create more hoops. Either that or an outright ban on ALL incoming ammo.

But until there's something in writing from somewhere, I can't really do much about it.

I do know that Russia, the Czech Republic and a few other places will be unhappy if our appetite for large amounts of ammo dries up.

Which isn't to say that 0bama and Hillary won't do it.
    http://SharpPointyThings.com
    http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com

FREEHOLD, Jan 04 from Baen Books
    THE WEAPON, Aug 05 from Baen Books
    CONFIRMED KILL, Sep 05 from HarperCollins
    BETTER TO BEG FORGIVENESS..., Winter 07 from Baen Books

~~~

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick.

madmike

It isn't what is incoming to the US that is the problem. It is what is outgoing and specifically outgoing to Canada. IF these bans were to take place our ability to purchase US made components would be cut off.

The only folks this action hurts are companies and American workers who produce the product in the US.

Take Care

Bob
    Bill C 68 making Canada safe for criminals everywhere.

just glad i am moving further south
    Real Naval Gunners Hit Harder, and Penetrate Deeper, and just as accurate without Fire Control!

sounds like an Obamanation to me.
    I hope it doesnt happen when im around
    The truck you drive says a lot about you, the guns you shoot say even more.
    "How bout them liberals?"
    Friends don't let friends drive Fords/Dodges.

The interesting part on this is that any purported restriction would fall afoul of a lot of international law as the ban/restriction would not affect imports from anywhere other than the US.

If someone wanted to kill this, just say that it's Canadian- EU protectionism and watch how fast the US State Department jumps all over it.........
    "Remember children, once we have pulled the pin from Mr. Grenade, Mr Grenade is no longer our friend"

Just 'cause I live here does not make me a septic, you muppet !

I'm always suspicious of rumors on "good authority," but with no name attached.
    I agree with "MadMike". I get sooo many emails with ravel-rousing statements like this and it turns out to be absolutely false. If I wrote my congress folks everytime one of these came around and half were false, I'd probably be put on some "list-of-nut-cases" & they wouldn't even read me anymore.

If you're going to put something like this on a forum and pass it off as true then at least do some research and find out the NAME of the report
    A report making the rounds in Canada
    and a copy of
    our State Department may be on the verge of cutting off all imports of certain calibers of ammunition.
    this from some official source.

Until then, I'll concider this suspect and wait for something with more research behind it to come out.

Thanks for the possible heads-up, though.
    To all gun/shooting enthusiasts :
    "Support the ENTIRE Bill of Rights, not just the 2nd Amendment, every chance you get. If one amendment gets trounced on then the others will soon follow.

I would not put it past the US State Department.

They are VERY anti Canadian gun owner
    IANSA is the enemy.

"If someone is so fearful that they are going to start using their weapons to protect their rights, it makes me very nervous that these people have weapons at all." ~~Henry Waxman