Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walmart may stop selling ammo

Walmart may stop selling ammo

I went to walmart last night they had plenty of 9mm but not much else. The clerk told me the same sad story about Walmart stopping the selling of ammo. I went home and run a report out of quickbooks of the money I have spent at Wally world in the last 3 years. I sent the report and a letter to the Following address telling them no ammo and I will go else where to make all my purchases. Need to hit them were it hurts the pocketbook.

702 SW 8th Street
    Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
    Bentonville, Arkansas 72716-8611
    When will Congress learn? They made it against the law to drink or sever Alcohol and they couldn’t keep it off the street. Drugs are against the law and they can’t keep them off the street. What makes them think if they outlaw guns they can keep them off the street?

Yeah, that would suck for non-reloaders, but it would certainly drive demand and business to local gun shops and online retailers, which might be good for the industry in the long-run, if bad for prices in the short-run.
    If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you. - Jack Handey

Are you sure that it was all Walmarts and not just that one? The Walmart here is still stocked and selling ammo. I do know that individual Walmart stores have cut the ammo dept if they felt that it was not a profit maker for their area.

In the last city I lived in, there were 3 Walmarts and 2 stopped selling ammo. Of course the store that was just down the road from the indoor range kept their ammo sales going.
    I fight alongside the few who know the truth, to protect the many who are too ignorant to realize they are in danger.

I do know that individual Walmart stores have cut the ammo dept if they felt that it was not a profit maker for their area.
    Good point.

Last weekend I was in Fayetteville, TN and was blown away to find RELOADING components in WalMart!

I'm talking Sierra, Nosler & Hornady rifle bullets, Hodgdon powders, RCBS dies, even a Rock Chucker press! It wasn't a great selection but I mean it was there which just astounded me. I never would have imagined it but there it was.

So it appears individual stores have alot of discretion as to what they stock. Maybe it's not the whole chain?
    If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you. - Jack Handey

walmart is a very efficent company. they stock the shelves with what sells. if it doesnt sell it gets taken out. the bottom line is what makes the decision on the decision if they stock ammo or not

Good point.

Last weekend I was in Fayetteville, TN and was blown away to find RELOADING components in WalMart!

I'm talking Sierra, Nosler & Hornady rifle bullets, Hodgdon powders, RCBS dies, even a Rock Chucker press! It wasn't a great selection but I mean it was there which just astounded me. I never would have imagined it but there it was.

So it appears individual stores have alot of discretion as to what they stock. Maybe it's not the whole chain?
    Same thing for the one in Boone, NC last time I was in there (year or so). I'd never seen a walmart with reloading components before.

I've got 5 walmarts within 20-30 minutes of me (sad in and of itself when you think about it), and 1 of those 5 still sells guns and does a brisk business at it.

Ammo that doesn't sell?
    That being said/asked, my local WM I think is just not reordering the stuff. I asked just yesterday for a brick of .22lr. I was told the warehouse is out, no idea when more is coming. Went across the street to a gun store, they have plenty.

Don't forget Wally World strongarms suppliers for a good price.

Maybe no one will bow down to them on price.

I bought some .308 ammo at Walmart and asked about the rumor they were going to stop selling it. I was told that was planned but now they've decided to continue sales. Hopefully we'll see an increase in stock soon. Prices are going up though.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

They will stop selling if the profit margin shinks to a small margin and the required paperwork doesn't make it worth the effort. With manufacturers selling at a good clip, they may not give the deals to Wal-Mart. they can't be strongarmed if they have other customers waiting in line to buy the entire production run. However when the demand simmers down, manufacturers may be left holding the bag.

Wal-Mart does what is best for business. the loss of a product that holds little profit will be dumped. If the product mantains a profit margin that makes it worth the floor space, than it will stay. The clerk behind the counter most likely doesn't have a clue what corporate has in mind. They are lucky to know what is being shipped in the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
    The clerk behind the counter most likely doesn't have a clue what corporate has in mind. They are lucky to know what is being shipped in the next week.
    Just wanted to clarify it was the sporting goods manager I spoke to. Corporate had originally decided to stop selling but changed their minds. The store I went to still had a decent amount of ammo stocked in all calibers. Remember also this could turn into a regional issue.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

The clerk behind the counter most likely doesn't have a clue what corporate has in mind
    You're lucky if the clerk knows the difference between .22LR and .40S&W. I got the last box of Federal bulk pack from the glass cabinet at the local Wal*Mart. When I asked if there was any more behind the counter, she started opening cases of Winchester .40S&W that had been piled up there. (that's why I asked, it looked like they were restocking the cabinet)

--wally.
    Your commitment to Freedom and Liberty is measured by your tolerance for others doing things you disapprove.
    NRA Patron Member since Jan 20, 2009.

Wal Mart hasn't stopped selling ammo... they're just like the gun stores that are unable to get supplies.

I talked with the people at Georgia Arms at the gun show on last Sunday, and they said they were running six to eight weeks behind on both manufacturing and orders. He said "coming to the factory won't help... we just don't have the inventory to push the orders out the door right now."
    He said "we're catching up, but it just takes time and work..."

In case it's a news flash, there IS still a war going on in both Iraq and Afghanastan, and the "Obama gun surge" has drained what excess supplies were still available in the U.S. It will take some time to restock all the gun stores, AND your local Wally World...

WT
    "What man is a man that does not make the world a better place?"... from "Kingdom of Heaven"
    True patriots feel that there is no problem in our Republic that cannot be solved by election, windage and elevation, or superior firepower.

The clerk told me the same sad story about Walmart stopping the selling of ammo.
    Very low on the food chain. You know, the same people who will hand you .380 ACP when you need .38 Special, and not know why it's a problem. I wouldn't put a whole lot of credence in what they say.

That said, our local Wallyworld has had good stock, up until yesterday's visit. Hunting rounds were there, but "social purposes" stuff was pretty lean. Some .223, no 7.62x39. A few stray boxes of pistol cartridges.
    "Whom have I in heaven but you
    And beside you I desire nothing on earth." --PS 73

I went to 4 different Walmarts this weekend and the supervisors all told me that rumor has it walmart is going to stop selling ammo.
    When will Congress learn? They made it against the law to drink or sever Alcohol and they couldn’t keep it off the street. Drugs are against the law and they can’t keep them off the street. What makes them think if they outlaw guns they can keep them off the street?

Wal Mart is only going to stop selling ammo if they can't get it. It's a high volume, high profit product, and whether you like Wally World or not, they are the biggest retail seller in the world. They sell what goes off the shelves, and ammo is one of those things that moves without much trouble.

WT
    "What man is a man that does not make the world a better place?"... from "Kingdom of Heaven"
    True patriots feel that there is no problem in our Republic that cannot be solved by election, windage and elevation, or superior firepower.

high volume, high profit product
    High volume, maybe. High profit..who knows. If something else can take that space and bring in more profit, ammo will go. as long as it turns a decent profit, it stays.

Good riddance I say. They keep the ammo so well hidden behind the counter I can't see what they're selling or how much they want for it. And I'm certainly not waiting for some $7/hour dufus that worked in the TV section yesterday to come and explain it to me...
    "Yeah that's a real gun in that gun rack.
    No I don't have a permit for it.
    You got a permit to ask stupid questions like that?"

no shortage of ammo in walmarts around here.............get anything i want anytime
    Do you believe in Jesus? Well, your going to meet Him. P. Kersey death wish
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCnE0BfVNZE

It costs me a dollar more a box to buy 357 or 38 ammo at the local gun store.
    So, that's where I buy it.
    I don't have to worry about what Wal-Mart does that way, or worry about there not being enough sales volume.
    Don't forget Eve Carson. or the goblins that killed her.

And I'm certainly not waiting for some $7/hour dufus
    Apparently all Wal-Marts are not set up in the same manner. Ours has the same three or four employees who know the stock, as limited as it is. The prices are well displayed as is the ammo behind the smallish counter.

I live in Wyoming and Wally world has always sold amo and reloading components here. The reason that their stores are low on amo and reloading stuff is the same reason that you cant find anybody with primers and some common bullets, ever since Obama was elected there has been a run on gun related items. I watched the store manager stock the shelves and when I went back the next day the shelves were almost empty. I asked what happened and he told me, it has been like that since Obama was elected, he can't keep the shelves stocked and has sold more guns in the last 3 months then he did in the last 2 years.

WY child

Prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado!

The sale of Ammunition and Firearms at Walmart is dictated by it's Proximity to "Urban" areas. The farther away from a densly populated area the more likely you are to see Ammunition and Firearms. This is due to the corporate offices caving in a little to the Antigun People. Most of whom are in fact located in Densly populated urban areas.
    Common sense is least common of the senses.
    Artificial Intelegence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

My local Wally World is out. They tell me that they just can't get it in fast enough. Also, Academy and Sportsman's Warehouse are also out of nearly everything. What I think is that folks are running scared because of the new administration, and they are stocking up. My local gun shop has some ammo at higher prices, but they can't get/keep AR's. Same story. Also, high-cap mags are in short supply in some stores.

Have not located any small rifle primers past couple months, not positive all
    this is caused by election may also be like the economy our supply system
    is breaking down, not sure what components are made in USA however we
    manufacture very little now and it will become more difficult to get "things"
    as we continue the downward spiral.