View Poll Results: Who Is the Fastest From the Draw All Time?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charles Askins 1909-1999

0 0%
  • Jelly Bryce 1908-1974

13 18.06%
  • Jim Cirillo 1930-1997

0 0%
  • Sammy Davis,Jr. 1925-1990

0 0%
  • Wild Bill Hickock 1837-1876

1 1.39%
  • Bob Munden 1942-

24 33.33%
  • Bill Jordan 1911-1997

7 9.72%
  • Jerry Lewis 1926-

1 1.39%
  • Ed McGivern 1871-1957

4 5.56%
  • Jerry Miculek 1964-

8 11.11%
  • Annie Oakley 1860-1926

1 1.39%
  • Arvo Ojala 1920-12005

2 2.78%
  • Paladin 1835-1915

2 2.78%
  • Matt Dillon 1837-1912

1 1.39%
  • Other-Please Name in post

8 11.11%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who Was(Is)the Fastest Person All Time on the Draw?

I read recently that Richard Boone was rather slow.
    Oh,no!My day is ruined.
    At this point it's very close with Munden with his added 3 'other' votes leading with 11,Bryce with 9,Miculek 8 and Jordan 7.
    This should go down to the wire.3 days left.

Munden is the fastest exabition shooter I've seen followed by Bill Jordan. I seen Jordan balance a pin pong ball on the back of his right hand about six inches above his duty holster, drop his hand, draw and fire and the ball had fallen into the holster.

As to real life gunfighters, I'd place Jelly Brice first and Jordan second.

Thell Reed is probably as fast as, maybe faster than, Munden. He actually hits what he's shooting at, as well. I may be influenced somewhat by an unhappy experience with Munden, who was (at least on this particular day, and we all have those "particular days") the biggest jerk I have had the misfortune to meet; just a little too full of himself, talking down to me and my co-workers, and generally just making me wish I could hit him with a shovel.

That being said, Reed hung with Jeff Cooper, Jack Weaver and that crowd during the days of the Big Bear Leatherslap. When the rest of the crowd had gone to DA revolvers and 1911s, he stuck with his SAAs and remained competitive right up until the event was no longer held. I've seen him in live-fire exhibitions and there are just no words for how smooth he is.

Watch the opening credits to "Gunsmoke" closely; Arvo Ojala beats James Arness to the draw pretty handily, but dies anyway. I think there was an assistant director with a rifle hiding near the grassy knoll.......
    "What's good for me might not be good for the weak-minded."- Augustus McRae

The list ain't complete without Thell Reed
    , Bill Weddle

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The list ain't complete without Thell Reed
    You get the Mod this time Harve.I'm tired!
    Just kidding!

All you Munden fans should read this article.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...9253/index.htm

Here are some memorable quotes, from this thread

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=405239

Quote:
    At exhibitions in Wasilla, 30 miles from Anchorage, Munden's wife, Becky, had repeatedly introduced him as "holder of all world records in fast draw since 1960." Well, no. He holds no official world records. One man who does is world traditional fast-draw champ Bob Arganbright of Wood River, Ill. Says Arganbright, "There is no man alive as good or as fast as Bob Munden tells you he is. Anyway, at no time did he ever hold all the world records."

Says Munden, "Yes, I did."

Quote:
    Munden claims to have won 3,500 fast-draw trophies, 2,200 of them first-prize awards; nobody in the sport believes that one, and Munden says he doesn't know where all those trophies are now.

Quote:
    But above all there is the suspicion surrounding The Shot that Munden says—trust the source—makes him the World's Fastest Gun. It occurred in Arcadia, Calif., at Huntington Ford on June 4, 1972. Right off the bat, that ought to be suspect: Who believes anything heard at a car dealership? Anyway, Munden says that he touched off The Shot in the walk-and-draw-level competition, in .15 of a second—"the fastest shot ever," he swears. Hill says flatly, "It never happened. Period." Hill says it takes .16 simply to react to the timer before any drawing, aiming and shooting. In Munden's home there's a trophy that commemorates The Shot. The engraving reads: ALL TIME WORLD RECORD INTERNATIONAL FAST GUN LEAGUE. Arganbright says, "The sport does not recognize the International Fast Gun League. It was organized by Bob [Munden], run by him, and he holds all the records."

Quote:
    A woman approaches Munden at one of his Wasilla shows (he did nine 20-minute shows over three days) and asks, "I was wondering how many times you've shot yourself." "None, ma'am," says Munden sharply and defiantly. In truth, shooting blanks at the U.S. Fast Gun Championships in 1963 at the Paso Robles (Calif.) County Fair, Munden thought he had failed to cock his Colt and went for the hammer again. He had cocked it, and the gun went off, blasting his left hand, which required 8 hours of surgery to make it whole again. Here's the problem: There is something macho about having been shot with the most legendary gun in the nation's history and having survived it; and yet there is something about being such a pro with a gun that shooting yourself with it just couldn't happen.

Quote:
    And his arrogance. "I was an s.o.b. in fast draw because I came to win," says Munden. "My attitude doesn't sound very humble. I don't shake hands with a guy after I beat him. What am I supposed to say? I'm sorry? I'm not sorry. Better luck next time? I don't want him to have that, either. So I don't say anything. All I ever wanted was to be top dude. But where do you go from the top? I tell everybody that no matter how fast you shoot, I will shoot faster. I am your better, and you'll have to learn to live with that."

Or at least with hearing about it.
    If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you. - Jack Handey

Guess you people don't know the name Jay Silverheels.

He taught most of the Hollywood TV gunmen, including Sammy Davis Jr, how to fast draw and all the fancy gun handling you saw on TV. It's said that he could draw and fire accurately in .03 seconds.

Oh by the way you'd know Jay Silverheels by his movie name ..... Tonto ..... from the Lone Ranger!

Oh by the way you'd know Jay Silverheels by his movie name ..... Tonto ..... from the Lone Ranger!
    Oh,I knew Jay was Tonto since I started watching the Lone Ranger in 1952..But I never knew Jay was a fast draw artist.Did he teach Clayton Moore(the Lone Ranger) how to drawer?
    Maybe.Thank you for that interesting information,Trever.

BTW,I saw Sammy in Vega's in 1961 with his fast drawer act.He was very,very fast.With live ammo!
    Bob Munden and Jelly may have been faster but not by much.
    I also saw Jerry Lewis in '60 in L.V.
    He was faster than Davis,faster than anyone in Hollywood for sure.
    Even at 83, I'd bet he is still faster than anyone one on THR,even with arthritis.
    Really folks,Jerry was fast!
    Even Bob Munden said only Jerry was faster than Sammy.
    According to the "Fastest Gun Who Ever Lived," Bob Munden, Davis was the second-fastest draw in Hollywood, trailing only Jerry Lewis. Davis presented Munden with a customized Colt Peacemaker in recognition of Munden's skill after they appeared together on "The Mike Douglas Show" (1961).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aNzFYHyz8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjSg2tGh4Sw&NR=1

Note the comments!
    Last edited by Johnny Dollar; February 19th, 2009 at 12:58 AM. Reason: added Sammy links

"Other" - I'm voting for Jon Wesley Hardin. Maybe he wasn't as fast in absolute terms to today's high-tech shooters, but can they do what he did with a Colt Army 1860 from a low-tech leather holster?
    "Our society is no longer imaginable without gun violence. All too often during muggings and robberies, a firearm is used to threaten."
    - Dutch regional police report, 2005, indicating the effectiveness of gun control
    Join the ACLDN

died

I have Jim Corrillo =died May 9 2007.
    Last edited by TEDDY; February 19th, 2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: spell

died
    I have Jim Corrillo =died May 9 2007.
    Last edited by TEDDY; Today at 01:47 PM. Reason: spell
    That is right TEDDY.I noticed the error afterward but could not correct it.Your date is correct.

The poll has now closed and Bob Munden has run away with the win.Adding his 3 'other' votes before his name was included Munden ended up with 27.
    The top five finishers:
    1.Bob Munden 27
    2.Jelly Bryce 13
    3.Jerry Miculek 8
    4.Bill Jordan 7
    5.Ed McGivern 4

A big thank you to all who participated.This was an enlightening and enjoyable poll!

ghosttowngunfighter

Quote Originally Posted by Kleanbore View Post
    Re-reading the question, I think the answer is Munden.

I'm surprised that Thell Reed wasn't on the list.

Here's a interesting article on fast shooting by Elmer Keith.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Sat...y_C/Thell+Reed

What's not clear to me is what's being measured. I'd be very surprised if Munden's time of .02 Sec. is measured from the start of a signal or "draw!" command--I don't think human reaction time is that fast.

Bob was the fastest against a timer. In a live performance using blanks Bill Leatherwood would have smoked him. Bill portrayed the Marshal at the internationally known amusement park Ghost Town in The Sky in Maggie Valley, NC for 39 years and was chained blue lightning! Bill used a standard drooploop holster as seen in the movies. Bob used both hands to draw form a custom slanted rig with a notch cut out of the front. Entirely two different styles. Bill always fought against other men (me included). Looking at a timer and a person are two different worlds.

ghosttowngunfighter

Bob Munden was incredible against a timer. Bill Leatherwood, who portrayed the Marshal at Ghost Town in The Sky for 39 years was incrdible against people. I had the honor of working for him for several years. Oh sure, you're going to say it was only blanks we used but until you've gone against another man instead of a timer, you have no idea how different both worlds are. Munden without his custom slanted rig with the notch cut from the front and using a standard droploop holster looking at a man instead of going against a timer would have lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleanbore View Post

Like was said by Boone as Paladin in an episode I watched today where he was out drawn by his opponent but he shot the opponent.

"(he was)Fast, but not accurate."
    "A knight is sworn to valor; his heart knows only virtue; his might upholds the weak; his word speaks only truth, and his wrath undoes the wicked."

Memories are made of this! Thank you, ghosttowngunfighter! 8 long years ago.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973