Thread: Abolish term limits?

Abolish term limits?

Guess this belongs in Activism?

Didn't take 'em long.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=hj111-5

Is govtrack.us reliable? The post looks legit w/ details, etc.
    I always have my primary weapon; it's right between my ears!

They can dream.......

Nutzo congressmen can propose anything they want. (Like everyone has to wear two left shoes, etc.) That doesn't mean it ever going to see the light of day.

What I would like to see is more term limits. Like on Congress. I'm sure that this also is or will be introduced soon.

Term limits are a copout. Only losers support them.

What you're saying is, "I'm too much of a wuss to vote for someone else. Please take the choice away from me."

It's very simple: You don't like someone, don't vote for them.

If we can't figure that out, our nation is doomed and we should let it fail. Giving the government more control over who can run for office is not the answer.

ETA: I was thinking of other offices, not the Presidency. Seeing that, it's not surprising they want to try that. After all FDR did so many great things---concentration camps, jack-booted thugs, crony gangsterism and the welfare state.

Of course, you're assuming the An0inted 0ne will actually HAVE elections in our Brave New World.
    http://SharpPointyThings.com
    http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com

FREEHOLD, Jan 04 from Baen Books
    THE WEAPON, Aug 05 from Baen Books
    CONFIRMED KILL, Sep 05 from HarperCollins
    BETTER TO BEG FORGIVENESS..., Winter 07 from Baen Books

~~~

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick.

I'd prefer we compromise and do what Virginia does with Governors. Although there have been rumblings of doing away with it, I think it works quite well. Just require elected officials to sit out a term before they can run again. Allows fresh blood to run in but doesn't disqualify people from the job. Just puts them back into the real world from time to time.
    Paramedics save lives. Guns save lives. But Paramedics with guns scare people.

"Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Obama

Sounds to me like an attempt to help President "Messiah", er Obama.
    "We should be able to bear arms in any way we see fit. This could include open carry, concealed carry, or even long guns on a sling."
    -ProguninTN

That website lists the bill as H.J. 5. When you look at House.gov, the official website, all the bills are listed as H.R. ###. I also searched using "term limits" and didn't find anything close to that. There was a resolution about the "elections" in Venezuela but that was about as close as it come.

I say it is bogus.

edit: after searching through THOMAS by date I was able to find that particular resolution so I stand corrected! But it is still a bunch of hooey!
    I repeat - some people are just itching to get their panties in a wad about something. And this is why I normally stay out of Legal. <sigh>
    Don't think we are going to take your handguns from you, were just going to limit the number of rounds they will hold. orchidhunter

I'm a wuss. The MSM doesn't have anything to do with who gets elected or even who gets air time?
    I'm not for the "Fairness Doctrine" but the playing field could be a little more level. Possibly then the third party candidates could get their points across at the same volume as the anointed, by the MSM, candidates do.

People who have power only want to retain it.

"Madmike" up there obviously doesn't have a clue about what it takes to win an election. Lots of MONEY. Lots of Traveling. Lots of Support.

Placing term limits on Congress and writing laws that forbid an individual holding office in the "Legislative" branch from running for a seat in the other two will only protect the people of this country from Good ol' Boy politics and the overwhelming amount of corruption we see in our Gov't today.

Term limits are the first step. Then we need to enact a Financial CAP. That can not be broken on every election based on the "per capita" how many people are affected by the elections outcome.

I don't think BHO wants to have to run again. But we shouldn't give him the option of staying indefinitely in the FED GOV. . .

What you're saying is, "I'm too much of a wuss to vote for someone else. Please take the choice away from me."
    You raise an interesting point, but unfortunately a lot of ignorant people vote on name recognition alone. Educated people with whom I work will say things like, "I like Carl Levin." When I ask why, they can't name a single thing he's done or a single reason why they like him. It's name recognition, pure and simple.

Very few people delve below the surface in politics or educate themselves about the issues. We on THR are in the great minority. Remember that.

So, while in principle you are correct, in practice you are not. We need term limits because of ignorant simpletons who get all their information from the MSM and vote solely on name recognition with no substance or views of their own.

If it's good enough for Hugo 'President-for-life' Chavez, it's good enough for us...

Forrest

I don't belive Presidential term limits will be abolished anytime soon, but who can tell what will happen in the next 20 years.

Personally I think if Congressmen want to run for higher office, they should immediatily resign their office, that old have your cake and eat it too saying.

The bane of our Republic is the career politician. These bumblers retire with full pay and benefits for life. They don't answer to their state, or constituency and once firmly entrenched it almost takes an act of God to dislodge them from their positions of power. Term limits would be a start. Limiting their salary might also be a wise move, or at least not allowing them to vote on their own pay raises. Let the public determine their pay and benefits, after all they work for us. If US Government and Civics were properly taught in schools again we might have a reasonably educated electorate... like that will happen. DC needs an enema in the worst way. JMHO.

Well, first, this is a proposal for a Constitutional Amendment. There is no way 3/4 of the states are going to endorse it in 8, much less 4 years. In another forum, I made the comment that this is the kind of bill a lovesick schoolgirl would propose about her crush.

As to the other, I used to live in IL where the law and the courts restrict access to the ballot to "avoid confusing people."

Sure, first term limits, and then money caps, and then we could have qualification tests...all of which does nothing except create a situation where the exact thing happens as happens now, and even fewer people can qualify to run.

Incidentally, AFAIK, several states tried to impose term limits on their Congressmen. Said Congressmen took the issue to court claiming it was unconstitutional, and won. It would have to be a federal law.

Do you really think they're going to pass a law to limit their own power?

So I guess you'll just have to do it my way---not vote for people who are jerks. I guess it depends on who makes our decisions, us or the press.

It could be it's time for our system to fail, if we're that decrepit we can't make a choice without having someone to make it for us.

If my facts above are wrong, please correct me.

Ah, here it is:

Reformers during the early 1990s used the initiative and referendum to put congressional term limits on the ballot in 23 states. Voters in every one of these states approved the congressional term limits by an average electoral margin of two to one.[citation needed]

In May 1995, the United States Supreme Court ruled 5-4 in U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton, 514 U.S. 779 (1995) that states cannot impose term limits upon their federal Representatives or Senators.
    Earlier that Spring, the U.S. Congress had given the Court assurance that the Justices would be acting only against state statutes, not overturning an act of Congress. For the hopes of some that Congress would self-impose term limits had abruptly come to an end. Congressional term limits had been featured prominently in the Republican Party's Contract with America in the 1994 election campaign, and may well have contributed to the Republican Revolution, as the Republicans wrested control of the House of Representatives from the Democratic Party for the first time since the 1952 elections. The Republican leadership brought to the floor of the House a constitutional amendment that would limit House members to six two-year terms and members of the U.S. Senate to two six-year terms. However, this rate of rotation was so slow (the life-tenured Supreme Court averages in the vicinity of twelve years) that the congressional version of term-limits garnered little support among the populist backers of term limits, including U.S. Term Limits, the largest private organization pushing for Congressional term limits. (U.S. Term Limits wanted House members to be limited to three two-year terms.) With the Republicans holding 230 seats in the House, three versions of the amendment got well under 200 votes, while the 12 year term-limits which overrode all the more stringent state measures managed a bare majority in the House of 227-204,[17] well short of the requisite two-thirds majority (290 votes) required to pass a constitutional amendment. Defeated in Congress and overridden by the Supreme Court, this populist uprising was brought to a halt for the purpose of reforming the federal government.
    Well, maybe the Democrats will pass it.

~~~

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick.

The U.S. didn't need term limits because nobody (until FDR) was arrogant enough to think they were the only one who could lead the country.

Heck, they wanted to make Washington king, but he was too humble and correctly understood the definition of the word "service".

I agree with WideyM, any elected official wishing to run for a higher post should be required to resign concurrently with registering as a candidate. A true pipe dream of mine is a ballot with the choice "None of the Above," just below the actual candidate choices. If None is the winner, NEITHER of the candidates could run for that office again. (If only....)

MadMike, you're almost right!

You said
    "I'm too much of a wuss to vote for someone else. Please take the choice away from me."

I say "You're way too much of a wuss to vote for someone else. Let me take this choice away, make another choice."

But Mayor Daley appreciates your compassion and understanding. So do the citizens of Chicago who haven't made a different choice for seventeen years. Entrenched politicians are impossible to run against, let alone defeat. Given the patronage armies, campaign warchests funded by selling gov. contracts and the unions enthralled to the trough. Yea, congress will not limit itself as long as we let it.
    When I joined, I swore to protect and defend the Constitution. No one ever said I was relieved of that oath.

I don't live in IL. And IN is in some ways more corrupt.

Nevertheless, it will take a Constitutional Amendment, which you're very unlikely to get.

In the meantime, don't re-elect the trash. That's the choice. See? They took that choice away from you...isn't it great?

~~~

Quote Originally Posted by madmike
    In the meantime, don't re-elect the trash. That's the choice. See? They took that choice away from you...isn't it great?
    I see your point, on the other hand term limits are a bit of a check on things when the elections are rigged.
    "Prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado!"

In the meantime, try to educate voters. I won't endorse a voodoo doll, but it can't hurt.

A lot of leeches know all they have to do is please a single issue (guns, abortion, whatever) and they'll keep winning re-election.

The system is broken, but there's no easy fix.

~~~

FWIW, the California Rifle and Pistol Association generally says that term limits on California legislators has hurt the cause of gun rights. Reason being, we suffer a constant stream of rookie politicians who do stupid and unpredictable things over and over.

Yes, I know--veteran politicians do plenty of stupid things, too. But at least they can sometimes be swayed by the political reality of the situation. Rookies don't know how the game is played yet.

Tim

I Think TimRB has it right. In my experience with the union I was part of for nearly 30 years, term limits had the effect of producing a paid, professional staff that was more knowledgeable about the nuts and bolts of issues and procedures than the term-limited officers. Even reformers ended up being bent to the expertese of the people that had the most experience. It is the rare individual who had strong enough convictions and personal arrogance to overcome such "peer" pressure. In Washington and state capitals is has the effect of making the professional staffers and lobbiests the more influential.
    "...if you don't understand history, you might as well live with your head in a sack." -Jeff Cooper

"Something is the matter with the country, and all [the legislators] feel an irresistible temptation to try to provide a remedy. That would be fine if they had any such power. But only the people themselves have the power to work out their difficulties, which they can best do without legislative interference." Calvin Coolidge