Thread: M1 Garand blank misfires

M1 Garand blank misfires

Hello,

I am the armourer for our Legion's M1s. I've replaced all the action springs over the past 5 years and keep them cleaned and lubed.
    Some time back I got a publication announcing the new and better hole size in the blank insert.

This is supposed to cure the problem of the 3rd shell jam. This has not really cured the problem..
    Misfires and jams with blanks seem to plague everyone that I talk to from other firing squads..
    I suspect quite a bit of the problem is the blank ammo but can't prove it.

Ok my question:
    I want to replace all the blank plugs on the end of the barrel- where is the best place to get them?

Thanks!
    BIll P
    It's not what is said, it's who says it..

I have watched our local VFW post have trouble for years.

They had trouble with both old and new blanks. Any weather. Any rifleman.

Upon checking closer with them, the rifles were being maintained by a Viet Nam vet who was NOT trained on M1s or M14s.

Because he had not been trained on M1s or M14s he was NOT using any grease on them, just oil! They worked better with LSA than with Break-Free but NEITHER LUBE let them work right.

That just doesn't cut it, the M1 and M14 require and demand GREASE. Lubriplate or Plastilube are the two proven choices.

Is your group using grease or just oil?

Make sure the rifles are being properly maintained before you start replacing stuff.

Buckshot

I cleaned them good then applied a small amount of fire power10 on moving parts.
    I know the manual calls for grease and for a long time I did use lubraplate and still got jams and misfires. I then tried the FP10..

Some days all 7 fire just fine..Most days 1 or 2 won't.

Some of the lubes we have now were unheard of when the M1s were made.
    My thinking was to at least try some of the new stuff and I say FP is onea the best going.

We did a funeral 3 years back for an Iraqi vet and the regular army squad did the firing - they used m-16s - not M1s.

I talked to the commander about misfires and jams and he told me they are plagued with them too!

I really think the ammo has a lot to do with it but can't prove it.
    It's not what is said, it's who says it..

We have a local reenactor group that uses blanks in some of their M-1's and they seen to work fine. however they reload their own blanks using standard 30-06 cases that are no longer suitable for standard loads.

You may have some luck contacting a group local to you and running it by them.