Thread: Tabletop cannon?

Tabletop cannon?

Might anyone know of some good resources for pre-made and build-your-own mini to micro-sized cannons?

I put your subject, "micro-sized cannons", in the Google subject line, and got a whoooole lot resources. Google. Try it, you'll like it.
    TANSTAAFL

Yep, I use google all the time. I posted here because I trust and respect THR members. Plus, folks may have some good or bad things to say on the matter at hand. Sometimes there are fantastic sources of info that won't show up 'tall until say page 40+.

It'd be helpful if you could narrow it down a bit. You looking for a fireable cannon or just a non functional showpiece? What era you want it to represent? Should it be typical of any particular historic conflict?

Some more guidance here will get you better replies

Tiger
    the weapon you have to "go get" is not a weapon, it is an emotional comfort talisman

Several on evil-bay, plus plans to roll your own.
    A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

WhiteTiger, thanks and good point
    Anything fireable, no specific type or era, just something that could fire say a .50 ball and looks like a real cannon might look.

I think I would enjoy assembling one!

Thanks for the heads-up, madcratebuilder. Unfortunately I won't go near the place unless I have to.

Dixie Gun Works used to have them in kit form; maybe they still do. Bear in mind that it looks like a cute l'il baby cannon, but a .50 cal ball is a .50 cal ball no matter what launches it.
    Last edited by AJumbo; March 2nd, 2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: left out a sentence
    "What's good for me might not be good for the weak-minded."- Augustus McRae

Second AJumbo's recommendation.

DGW still lists two brass cannon kits, a naval and a field cannon. Either would get you started, but don't expect a lot of challenge out of the assembly. About the hardest part of putting them together is drilling the vent hole for fuze.

Tiger
    the weapon you have to "go get" is not a weapon, it is an emotional comfort talisman

Thanks fellas! I'll check DGW out.

Well this brings to mind an idea i had a while back and now i have the ability to use it. Thanks for the thread.
    The truck you drive says a lot about you, the guns you shoot say even more.
    "How bout them liberals?"
    Friends don't let friends drive Fords/Dodges.

CVA once and still may have a replica of an Old Ironsides Cannon, that shoots 0.440 round ball.

I had one I built and gave away as a home warming gift. I used a small bit of wood and made it like a section of deck with every tool for that one gun.

It seemed to shoot a tad high, so if you find one take great care aiming it.. My target was a dead sheet of ply wood and I missed, sending the shot way high, and out into the woods..

http://thehighroad.us/showthread.php...t=scale+cannon
    Check this thread. I used a set of plans from DGW to build the carriage for my cannon. I wish I could find more tubes like this one!
    TANSTAAFL

What's your idea, bergzilla? [edit] Ahh, I see your thread,.. cool!

Thanks Macmac
    You made me think of tuning the ballistics to the gun!

mike724, awesome thread and pictures, your project looks great! Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Sylvan-Forge; March 12th, 2009 at 04:45 AM.

Well it has been some many years since I laid eyes on that little 44 cal cannon, but I must say it was the devils own gauging where a shot might hit..

If i recall the over length of the gun barrel part was 6 inches long.. Like the cannon on Old Ironsides it was tapered with a varriety of bands and raised areas at the breech end and at the muzzel end.

With no tools to gauge the taper I merely sited over the tube, which raised the point of aim considerably

The target, that plywood once had been a part of a large dog house, no longer in use of course.

I was seated at a common picknick table fiddling around with the little brass block and tackel , and the rest of the gun tack, and after a few shots could hit a 4x8 sheet of plywood, but discovewred in the event of war i wasn't going to be in any artillery...

I did enjoy making the little tools to more or less scale, the bulwark (deck) the wooden door that can be opened and closed like on the ship, and etc.

Pretty much unless you have a mile of woods, or a big hill as a back stop shotting something like this with shot is dangerous. That is because there is just no telling where a ball is going to go with any reliability.

Probably the bigger the gun the better a real life size man can gauge a shot.

IF the gun you get has any taper figure that out, and make an angle finding compass to suit it. I don't think your windage will be as much a problem.

I was thinking of maybe ~10 yards range, with the barrel elevation geared and lockable, maybe. I need to look at some old ways of dealing with cannon recoil, to include plenty of weight on the cannon & carriage.

Aye, this would be fired well away from neighbors and such. Maybe I'll just do a compressed air or CO2 powered cannon for indoor use

Making the ancillaries; carriage, tools and compass sounds fun too.