Thread: Teacher and the water cooled Browning

Teacher and the water cooled Browning

When I was in elementary school, I think I was in the 4th or 5th grade, I was a bit of a wanker. One day the teach decides she wants to take me home and have a heart to heart with me and my parents. Well we walk into the house and my dad has a 30cal water cooled Browning Machine Gun mounted tripod and all right in the middle of the living room floor with a belt of blanks locked and loaded in the weapon. Unknown the the teach my dad is a career M/SGT USA and is in charge of the armory at St. Johns Military Academy at Deleafield Wis. My mom and dad were not home.
    They had been having trouble with the gun jamming or some such stuff and dad had brought it home to work on it to see if he could correct the problem.
    Well old teach takes one look at the Browning does an about turn, left the house so fast I don't think her feet hit the ground. End of interview. Needless to say I breathed a sigh of relief as I was also laughing so hard I about split a gut. This all happened around 1956 or so: I wounder what would happen today if the same thing happened. Probably call child protective services, have me hauled away, take my dad into custody and on and on and on. My dad by the way earned the combat infantry badge, (Germany and Korea) two purple hearts, bronze star, silver star and a bunch of others that I can't remember.
    Last edited by eaglesnester; March 2nd, 2009 at 10:13 AM.

eaglesnester,

Too bad the gun you remember DOES NOT EXIST!

The Thompson was a submachine gun, man carried shoulder or hip fired. Used .45 ACP in 20 or 30 round stick mags or 50 or 100 round drums in some of the older models.

What you are describing sounds much more like an M1917 .30 Cal. water cooled belt fed Browning machine gun.

Buckshot

Browning machine gun

Thanks for the correction buckshot. Ya I guess it was a Browning 1917. They had a lot of older weapons in the armory.

browning

did I miss some thing the poster said a 30 cal water cooled browning.I did not see any thing about a thompson.

TEDDY,

You have to look a little closer, check the post times on eaglenester's first post, the time on my post then the EDIT TIME on the first message.

I have NOTHING AT ALL against eaglenester for editing his message, but he went back and made the corrections AFTER I pointed the error out to him. Note also that HE had NO PROBLEM with the corrections either! I WAS NOT picking on him and he DID NOT TAKE IT AS such.

I am ONLY answering this to let you know what happened, I am NOT climbing on you, either.

Just trying to let you know what happened without stirring up ANY animosity from anyone. All of us should be able to make corrections and comments without thinking someone is jumping down our throats in some manner.

Buckshot

browning

I did not take it as bad I was just confused that I did not see the remark but I am at fault for not seeing the edit and realising what happened.I am well aquanted withe the browning.mostly aircraft guns.but am familiar with most and fired most.I know where there is a water cooled on a guys lawn and it drives me crazy that I cant get it.Its welded dewat.I have a belt loading machine for cloth belts and a machine to load MK 1 hotchkiss strips.

For some time after the war my father had a DEWAT .30 water-cooled mounted in the back of his pickup truck --a Ford, I think it was a 1929.

I used to get in there and swing it around trt-rt-rt-rt-rt-rt-ing at imaginary... ummm... targets... which frequented various Pacific Islands.

Motherdear made him get rid of it.

The gun.

Not the truck.

Terry, 230RN

--------
    PS Hard to remember from back then, but I seem to recall it had a double handle with a firing lever/button between the two handles... can that be so? I definitely remember the water jacket, though. Memory is sure hazy from 65 years ago, more or less.
    Last edited by 230RN; September 18th, 2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Eliminate direct references to the creatures found on those islands
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

When I was a teenager, there was a politician going door to door in our neighborhood soliciting votes. We had just come home from the range and were in the back yard cleaning the guns, which included a 1911A1 and a M1 Carbine, among a few others. I heard the knock on the front door, so I went through the garage to see who was there.

When the politician saw me, he said "Sonny, is your dad home?" and announced that he was running for some office that I can't remember.

I didn't care to be called "Sonny", but I told him that my dad was in the backyard and that he could follow me....

As we walked into the yard, my father had the 1911A1 in his hand and just released the slide as the guy walked into the yard. The rest of the guns were in front of him on a blanket. The look on that politician's face was absolutely priceless...

Once he regained his composure, he announced that he was running for some office. My father's first question was "So how do you feel about gun control?"

It was one of those priceless moments I'll never forget.