Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Firearm for Girls???

1st Firearm for Girls???

I've got two daughters, aged 7.5 & 6, they do pretty much whatever their mother does, and she is prissy. I was thinking that if I could get my wife into shooting I'd have a better chance of getting the girls into it too. So I bought my wife a Sig P239 9mm, and intend on having her shoot it a bunch when we're in the States over the Summer. I figured that if she doesn't like it, then at least I've got another useful tool.

Now for my girls, what would y'all suggest for a first firearm to get them started on?

Thanks
    Deus et Domus
    Texas Secede!

"Once abolish the God, and the government becomes the God." -- G.K. Chesterton

Absolutely no question: a rifle in .22.

I'm partial to Marlin 39s,
    but any lever or bolt would work.

Don't start with semi-auto.
    Begin with shot discipline.
    _________

Levers, wheels, blades & sticks

Is there a particular model for kids, or would a regular one serve just as good?

I ask because I already have a Remington Model Five in .22LR.
    Deus et Domus
    Texas Secede!

You'll notice that there's a youth model of the model five.
    IMO, very appropriate for younger kids.
    It'll fit much better.

I don't think Marlin offers a youth model of the 39.
    Of course, Annie did fine with it.

In any case, start out with an empty gun,
    teaching basic gun safety emphasizing the four rules.
    _________

Let's get VERY specific:

I like the Youth (CRR) version of the Ruger 10/22. The one linked to has a pink laminate stock, if that would appeal to your girls, and increase their sense that this is "their" gun, but regular wood tone is available, too. And this TALO model looks cool (thinner wrist to the stock may be appealing to small hands, though it might be less sturdy); I've never handled one.

Objections: others will correctly point out that a semi-auto is going to less accurate than some bolt-actions (if paper targets or competition is the goal), and that they have less ease in loading "one-round-at-a-time" and being sure about it.

Pros on the 10/22 is they're cheap, they're fun, they customize, and they last a lifetime or two.

I'll let someone else talk more about bolties. Henry has a nice Lever Youth Model (as well as a youth bolt).

If busting clays is going to be the order of the day--maybe a lot more fun than punching paper, depending on the inclination of the shooter, then consider Rem youth models. Model 870™ Express® Jr. is relatively lesss expensive than the Model 11-87™ Compact Sportsman® (both 20 gauge), but the semi will kick less.

Handguns--my experience is that girls that young find them heavy and awkward, making it tough to teach sight-picture; but everyone's different. Hard to beat a Ruger Mark III Standard when they're ready (small grip) but I've seen others recommend the Walther P22 (or new SP22?) or SIG Mosquito.

(Oh, to be clear--if you'd asked me about boys, I'd be pushing the same guns, except I'd emphasize the Henry lever and downplay the girlie 10/22s! )

I prefer a bolt gun for new shooters, more clear that it's empty and they understand the way it works better.

Cricket makes pink ones if that is what you want. Inexpensive if they don't like it.

CZ makes a Scout that I'm looking at hard for my Boys. Youth size but great quality!

I would look at a revolver for your wife, easier for most novices to get used to at first. .22 or .38 would be good.
    "He who dares wins."
    NRA Life Benefactor Member

One summer I worked at a Boy Scout camp and got to teach marksmanship... we used 22 LR bolt actions that had a rear aperture (peep) sight and front post. It made learning sight picture very easy for young kids (and us older ones )

My complaint with many of the standard 22's is the sights, but you can adjust by shooting short range (for now). Get something that either fits them or can be modified for length of pull.

I recommend starting them shooting from a sandbag rest. That way they learn sight picture, trigger squeeze and breathing before struggling with upper body strength.

Y'all think I should just let them shoot the Model Five first, and if they show interest, get them a girlie rifle later, or start them off with their own rifle from the get go?
    Deus et Domus
    Texas Secede!

The Crickets and Chipmunks are under $200, I would do that so they have a rifle that fits them. Really increases the odds that they will like it and it's a great investment in my mind.

If you give them a rifle that doesn't fit them then odds are low that they will enjoy it so you're off on the wrong foot from the start.

I would expect one, if not both, to like it with a rifle that fits them. If not, even if you sell it for 1/2 of what you paid for it $100 is well worth giving them a good start in my mind!
    "He who dares wins."

Pink CZ on gunbroker for $350. Didn't see any pink Crickets or Chipmunks, I've been told they are selling very well now.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=124362589
    "He who dares wins."

Thanks. Does anyone one know who makes the best pink bolt action youth model in 22LR?
    Deus et Domus
    Texas Secede!

Administrator   
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

That would be the CZ hands down!
    "He who dares wins."

I agree with Ohen Cepel that CZ bolts are extraordinary guns.

I briefly owned a CZ 452 (.22 LR). It was solid, smooth, felt good and a proverbial tack driver.

Only reason I sold it was that it was my first bolt gun, and I realized pretty early on that I'm just not a bolt guy.
    (I may eventually add a bolt gun to my kit, but if so it would be a long-range, medium/large caliber, not in .22.)

I'm glad to see you're not leaning towards semi-auto to start your kids out on. I started with a semi-auto for my first one - a Remington Nylon 66 - and even though I loved the gun (stupidly no longer in my possession), it slowed my development of proper shooting technique. It's just too easy to pop off that next round without paying attention to the last one.

Nem
    _________

Should have added for handguns: Ruger Bearcat.

10/22 how I started my girl and she loves shooting now. a good handgun is the ruger .22 any Mach version excellent shooters
    Some day my children will have a lot of guns and that will bring a smile to my face.

IMO, a CZ 452 Scout (bolt action) rifle is hard to beat. it is specificly sized for youth shooters, comes with a single shot fake magazine, has both 5 & a 10 round magazine available, and if you desire later, it has a full size stock available for when they grow up. i bought one for my 7 year old son to learn on, and when his little sister is big enough, i will start her out on it as well. it has a decent trigger out of the box, not real light, but much better than sme of the cheap junk that is out there. i also bought a reduced pull spring kit for the trigger, that i will add at a later date. like most 22's it is set up for a scope, should you decide to go with optics. great rifle, moderate price, good value.
    jack of all trades, MASTER OF NONE! & sometimes, totally confused.

... comes with a single shot fake magazine ...
    Moooose {cool name }, can you (or somebody) describe that "fake magazine" a bit more.
    I'm having trouble understanding the concept. How do you get the next rnd in?
    _________

I have 3 daughters with guns...... all three started with boltie .22 youth models at age 8....... since it was their money (I want them to gain a sense of ownership and responsibility along with gun safety and marksmanship) they got to pick them out..... 2 opted for the Marlin model 15y, and 1 picked a Savage Cub...... the youngest had a bit of buyer's remorse when she saw a pink stocked marlin after she had already bought her gun......
    "If it looks like a rabbit, and acts like a rabbit, it will be treated as such- prey for all predators.
    If it looks like a rabbit and bites like a rattlesnake, rabbits will be safer, and predators more reticent."

Thanks everybody, I think I'm going to go for the CZ 452 - in Pink of course.

Cheers.
    Deus et Domus
    Texas Secede!

Nem- the "fake" mag is pretty much just a mag block, makes it a single shot that must be loaded from the top but it keeps the bullet from falling through the mag well since it's in the way.
    "He who dares wins."

the CZ 452 - in Pink of course.
    It's really kinda cute.

Ohen, got it. Makes sense. Thanks.
    _________

"...figured that if she doesn't like it, then at least..." Quit thinking like that first. A firearm for your wife has to fit her and she has to like shooting it. Whether you like it or it fits you doesn't matter. It'd be hers.
    You can't have any firearm in Singapore anyway. However, look into two of these for your kids. http://www.crickett.com/CrickettRifl...kettrifle.html

Good point.

We do our shooting when we visit the States.

Thanks.
    Deus et Domus
    Texas Secede!

Administrator   
    The "fake" magazine can be replaced with a 5 or 10 round real magazine, too. Congrats on the Scout!
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/