Thread: Blackpowder to Smokeless conversion

Blackpowder to Smokeless conversion

are there any tables for safely firing muzzle loading cannon with smokeless?

Not that I know of.
    Probably because there is no safe way to shoot a muzzleloading cannon with smokeless.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

Listen to Jim. Smokeless powder in a muzzle loading cannon becomes a bomb.
    You might get by with just a few grs as a blank, but trying to fire a projectile well be extremely unsafe.
    A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

alright,guess there is a real good reason to stock up on black powder.

pressure curve for BP is slow building,sort of pushes the round out the barrel.smokeless has a rapid pressure curve ,drop kicks the round out. jwr

I would suggest one of those spiral double hook gizmos as a minie ball puller rather than the wood screw style. I've had to pull a few minies when i dry balled them. The double spiral grabs them nicely without messing them or your barrel up. Otherwise pulling the nipple and sprinkling a few grains of powder into the flash channel works too. I've done that several times when I've gotten stuck ramrods while cleaning. I've shot the ramrod out 4-5 times. Some people have a real flat learning curve.
    We provide fast success in Testking ccie rack rental dumps exam by using our high quality 220-802 a+ book prep resources. We offer up-to-dated jhu dumps with definite guarantee of network+ training success

^ Unrelated to thread. Probably a spambot.

Well, there are specific and ballistically-validated cases where black powder was ultimately changed over to smokeless... I'm thinking of, like, .45 Colt ("Long Colt") and other older cartridges.

But these were done with a lot of professional and military testing and with selected powders and in more modern guns and so forth. Not recommended for the amateur, and these were individual weapon cartridges, not cannons. If I recall correctly, there was something called "King's Semi-Smokeless" powder available a long time ago which could be loaded bulk for bulk in BP guns.

Besides, I love the smoke and roar and stink of black powder cannons. I try to go to the inauguration celebrations of Colorado's Governors, where the National Guard brings their modern cannons and fire off BP salute blanks in them. The smell is wonderful and the bang gives me a gungasm.

But this was going the other way around, BP in Smokeless cannons.

By the way, did you guys see the one about the guy in New Jersey whose flintlock gun was seized by the police?

Hope the link is correct:

http://www.examiner.com/article/defe...antique-pistol

Terry
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)