Thread: Problem with safe (Ok, RSC )

Problem with safe (Ok, RSC )

My safe (I know it is an RSC, but "safe" is better understood) does not relock sometimes after I open it. It has the electronic lock. It is a Bighorn Classic. I have had it about a year. Is it something I can take the door panel off of and lube or fix or what?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Customers lubricating their own safes are one of the leading causes of lockouts requiring drilling.

If the safe isn't locking after you turn the handles its most likely one of two problems.

First, check the area around the door frame where the bolts extend. See if anything is keeping them from extending all the way. If the bolts don't go all the way out, the lock may not be getting enough pressure off of it to lock itself. Another way to check this is to lock and unlock the safe with the door in the open position. If it locks reliably every time with the door open, you'll know it's something in the way when the door is shut causing the issue.

Second would be a faulty lock.
    Safe Sales, Service, & Delivery
    Commercial - Residential - Gun Safes
    www.zykansafe.com

I figured out what the problem is - but don't know how to fix it. I may have a work-around, though. 1st pic shows little hootis hanging down when RSC is in the unlocked position. 2nd pic shows hootis hanging down thru a cut in the crossbar when it is SUPPOSED to be locked. But hootis does not come down all the way to "click" into place and lock. If I tap on left side of crossbar with a rubber mallet a little, then the hootis snaps down just enough to lockup the mechanism. What is going on now after I have had it a year?
    Attached Images Attached Images

This picture shows the hootis down properly when it is locked. Note the little hook edge on the left- it "clicks" and becomes exposed when I tap on the crossbar, thereby enabling the mechanism to lock up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was close. The problem is still a lack of the bolts extending as far as they need to go, but the cause isn't external to the system.

First, check everything inside of the door to make sure nothing is catching anywhere.

If nothing seems to be wrong, it's a fairly easy fix with a dremel.

The part of the lock that is contacting the sliding boltwork is called the "lock bolt", and because this one is of the swinging (pivoting) variety, you can also call it a "swing bolt".

As you look at your photos, you would want to elongate the hole that the swingbolt enters towards the right. It shouldn't take much.

In perfect working condition, you want to see a little bit of space between the lock bolt and the boltwork of the safe when in the normal closed position. You shouldn't have to force the handle or bump the boltwork with a handle to see that space.
    www.zykansafe.com

Good to know. I can use my work-around for now. When I have some spare time I'll break out the dremel. Funny how this comes up now almost exactly a year after I buy the thing with a 1 year warranty- as long as you SHIP them the RSC!! What's the going rate on UPS for 800 lbs!!

Grayrock;

Just some friendly advice. A1abdj advised you to elongate the hole that the bolt enters, and that is 101% correct. DO NOT get the idea that it would be easier to take the Dremel to the swing bolt itself. If you do, you run a good chance of making some locksmith very happy with all the money you're going to give him. Understand?

900F
    Birth Certificate? What birth certificate? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!

Thanks for the heads up. Right now it is working great as long as I close the locking bolts and then grab the 5 spoked handle and give it a tug. I can hear the "hootis" CLICK into the locked position.

I can hear the "hootis" CLICK into the locked position.
    One of the guys that works for me reads this forum.

For the last few weeks he has been calling everything a "hootis" when I'm around.
    www.zykansafe.com

I am glad I can contribute to his vernacular

Fella's;

So then the question is: Is he contributing to the vernacular of a minor?

Grin, 900F
    Birth Certificate? What birth certificate? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!