Thread: Safe Bottom Rusting

Unhappy Safe Bottom Rusting

I have a Red Head safe in my basement. This week I had a sump pump failure and the carpet that the safe was on got wet. Water did not get in any of my safes or gun cabinets.

I pulled the safe out today to get the carpet it out. it was stuck to the bottom of the safe and when i pulled it off, there was a lot of rust. The has been rusting for awhile and I suspect that moisture from the cement floor kept the carpet moist and thus rusted the bottom of the safe. This happened over time and was not a result of the water from the sump pump failure. There does appear to be any perforation of the bottom of the safe.

I think it would be best to sand down the bottom of the safe, prime it and paint it. I feel leaving it as is would end up rusting through and ruining the safe. if this is what i should do, what would be a good paint and primer to use?

After I do this, I need to have a barrier between it and the floor. What should I do? I also have two of those Homack lockers next to it and would like to keep the same configuration and space usage What would be a good easy way to get these up off of the floor safe they are not affected by the moisture that cement floors always seem to hold?

Thanks in advance.
    Blackcloud Six
    Fred S
    New Baltimore, MI
    NRA Endowment Member
    Member MCGRO, MRPA, OGCA

any kind of non wicking spacers on the floor to set the safe on.metal plates,treated 2X's with metal foil or plastic on top,lengths of angle iron cut to length,ect,ect. jwr

there is an automotive paint i beleive it is called por 15 that is used to paint trunksd of old cars and the such it actually has rust inhibitors built into it.
    i did my 442 trunk with it years ago i didnt even have to clean the old rust off just the thick scale it bonded quite well and required no primer or second coat. also the cheap spray in bedliner stuff they sell at auto parts stores works quite well however you would have to clean it down to bare metal and prime first. good luck.

All of my safes have been installed atop 1x2 PT lath. In fact, any thing that I place on concrete (i.e.-water heaters) gets elevated to avoid trapping moisture and denying ventilation.
    YOu can probably stop furthur deterioration with brushing and applying Ospho, or ospholic acid, then priming and painting.
    TANSTAAFL

there is an automotive paint i beleive it is called por 15 that is used to paint trunksd of old cars and the such it actually has rust inhibitors built into it.
    After I made my post, I remembered I had a POR-15 kit I used on my Jeep. I'm right now in the prep process.

I sanded off the heavy rust and there are no perforations.

I went to Home depot and looked around for somethings to put the safe on. I came up with the instead of using the new composite decking stuff. They have 1x1x1 strips that I can 'slat" along the bottom. This stuff is strong, heavy and not supposed to wick up moisture.

Thanks to all.
    Blackcloud Six
    Fred S
    New Baltimore, MI
    NRA Endowment Member
    Member MCGRO, MRPA, OGCA

YOu can probably stop furthur deterioration with brushing and applying Ospho, or ospholic acid, then priming and painting.
    Quoted for truth. Ospho neutralizes the rust.

+1 on the POR 15.

Ospho works great but must be painted over as I recall. I always do anyway.

Just a chemistry correction their is no Ospholic acid. From the Ospho MSDS OSPHO is a balanced formula of Phosphoric acid, Sodium Dichromate, Surfactants, and Extenders.