Thread: Surefire 6P as weapon light

Surefire 6P as weapon light

Has anybody converted their Surefire Classic 6P into a weapon light? By conversion, I really mean simply putting a pressure switch tailcap on there and mounting the light onto a rifle is all. If so and not to sound like Dr. Phil , but how has it worked out for you?

I've got a black rifle in .308 that I was thinking of putting it on. What I am wondering is if the light will be able to take the pounding of that .308 Win. round for very long.
    NRA Life Member

My elected officials know and are routinely reminded of what I expect of them. Can you say the same?

use a one inch scope ring works great, got one on my AR, the led bulb is highly recomended
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

Pelican has a nice pressure switch attachment that isn't a curley-q (better for shotgun than rifle) and will adapt to any 1" tac light. I've got one on my AR. The 6p (or any similar format tac light) will work just fine with it - no complaints from me, though I also recommend the LED bulb.

High quality, good price, highly recommended.
    If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you. - Jack Handey

Another for the LED. The 6P does not have a shock isolated bezel. Get the bulb hot enough and even the light recoiling guns will break the filament. The modules ain't cheap to replace.

Thanks all. Changing from the regular bulb to the LED bulb makes sense now that I think about it. With the LED, there is no filament that would be damaged by the shearing forces of recoil. I had not thought of using a 1"scope ring either. That probably works better than the plastic tac-light mounts you see being sold and it's no doubt cheaper too.
    NRA Life Member

My elected officials know and are routinely reminded of what I expect of them. Can you say the same?

You can purchase the shock isolated bezel and retrofit a 6P too.

I have several 6P's and G2's with CREE LED conversions that are doing weaponlight duty. 1" scope rings work well, but I prefer something that is easily removable without tools. May not matter in your situation but I have limited safe room these days and tend to keep the lights in a box on top of the safe with the exception of the 1 gun that is presently doing HD duty.

The CREE R2 conversion units generate 290 lumens over the stock LED's 85 as well. Eye blazing!

rantingredneck,

Does the CREE R2 drop in to the 6P? What kind of battery life do you get with the R2?

I imagine that it gets kind of warm putting out that level of luminosity.
    NRA Life Member

FWIW, I use one of these:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060

It's quite solid, and much brighter than a Cree. (Inexpensive, too).

rantingredneck,

Does the CREE R2 drop in to the 6P? What kind of battery life do you get with the R2?

I imagine that it gets kind of warm putting out that level of luminosity.
    yes, it's a drop in and fits the 6P, G2 and others of the same bezel size. Battery life runs around 4-5 hours.

It gets a little warm but less so than the standard bulb.

I get mine here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=291907

I think I've got 5 surefires with these upgrades in them now.