Thread: Left handed flintlock?

Left handed flintlock?

I'm looking for some suggestions on where to find a lefty flintlock other than the Traditions Deerhunter. If anybody has any feed back on the Deerhunter please let me know what you think of it. My one problem with that model is that it doesn't look like a traditional flintlock.

For all of you left handed shooters is a left handed flintlock really a necessity? I shoot right handed rifles all the time and have no problem with brass flying past my nose but I am a little less happy with the thought of a flint hitting the powder in the frizzen right at the end of my nose. I know that there are some left handed percussion rifles out there but this gun is meant to be the ultimate SHTF back up gun.

My reasons for wanting a traditional flintlock are to make deer and hog hunting harder, for plinking at a local quarry and as the ultimate TEOTWAWKI gun. With some wheel weights, a mold and a recipe for black powder ammo shortages won't be much of a concern. Putting one together from a kit is not a problem and would actually be fun.

Don
    I repeat - some people are just itching to get their panties in a wad about something. And this is why I normally stay out of Legal. <sigh>
    Don't think we are going to take your handguns from you, were just going to limit the number of rounds they will hold. orchidhunter

Lyman Great Plains Rifle, right or left handed, perc. or flint, 50 or 54 cal.

http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/lyman.htm

Oneshooter
    Livin in Texas
    'Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem' --
    - Ronald Reagan-

Thanks. That is more along the lines of what I want to shoot.
    I repeat - some people are just itching to get their panties in a wad about something. And this is why I normally stay out of Legal. <sigh>
    Don't think we are going to take your handguns from you, were just going to limit the number of rounds they will hold. orchidhunter

Track of the Wolf always has a few lefty flinters for sale, plus kits for building your own. If you're a lefty shooting with a RH flint, you shoot right handed. Takes a little getting use to it, but it's something we should all be able to do. I'm a righty and I shot rifles left-handed for years. If either eye is good, you can switch back and forth without a lot of effort.

Wheel weights are great for cartridges, but for a muzzleloader the soft pure lead is the standard.

I am a lefty and I shoot a RH flint rifle. Just ignore all the commotion going on right under your nose. BWAHAHAHAH.

Omnivore,

Track of the Wolf has some pretty nice stuff, thanks for the tip.

I can vouch for Lyman. I have a Deerstalker so it doesn't look as traditional as the others but they have other very traditional looking models. Check out http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com they had the cheapest prices when I was shopping. Only buy In Stock items my back order took 3 months longer than it should have.

How do you like your Deerstalker? Is it accurate? Would you buy another one knowing what you know now?

If I had only the same amount of money to spend, yes, I would by one again. After working on the load it is very accurate. I only shoot PRB though. If I had had a little more money I think a Trade rifle or Great Plains looks nicer and more traditional.